Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Studio apartment and gun storage. Where to stash 29 guns in a one room apartment?

Just finished remodeling a studio apartment (and must say I did a pretty good job for doing the majority of the work myself).

It's on the property of a house my family bought and I was offered to buy into the flip, so I took it and have decided to live there until the property sells. See the video below for a layout of the room. I didn't want to build a safe into a wall or do anything to hurt resale value so here I am with the dilemma of having 20 long guns and 9 pistols that now need a home.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...e/d5a43107.mp4

I was thinking a wall mounted rack in plain sight with a steel cable through the trigger guards. Or possibly mounting them on the pull down stairs to the crawl space of an attic.

The property is secluded, on 10 acres, in the woods, and there is no fear of a break in. Security lights galore and miles from civilization.

Any creative ideas here guys?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Zet70; February 10th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Studio apartment and gun storage. Where to stash 29 guns in a one room apartment?

If you have "no fear of break in" why are you concerned with hiding or securing them?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Studio apartment and gun storage. Where to stash 29 guns in a one room apartment?

Use an under the bed rolling cabinet?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you have "no fear of break in" why are you concerned with hiding or securing them?
    I'm not concerned with hiding them. I'm looking to organize, display, and deter guests from finger banging them is all. I have a 36 gun safe. But no room in the apartment for it. There is a 3 car garage and workshop below the apartment that is mine as well. I could easily leave the guns with the motorcycles, cars, and trucks, but I don't like being so far from them.

(Chester County)

Why not just put a safe in the corner not bolted down
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Philadelphia County)

in a large safe.

(Berks County)

Take a peak at the video. In one corner is the wood stove, the other is a bed area, another is the bathroom, and the fourth has a kitchen. Not to mention the safe weighs a shit ton, there's no room, and the apartment has stairs going up to it.

(Bucks County)

Put the safe in the garage and just keep some pistols and maybe a shotty up there with you. BTW looks good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Pike County)

Have you considered using a crawl space? I also see you have a closet, you could hang some firearms above the door on the inside. Another idea is a false wall. Maybe cut out a section of dry wall, store your firearms between the studs and put the drywall back in place. I have seen some clever methods on the internet where people could quickly pop open the section of dry wall and get at their firearms. You could use the wall behind the fridge so no one will see the seam. Maybe you can even use the space behind that wood paneling you have up and devise some sort of hinge so you can swing a section open.

Another idea is to get a steamer trunk, put a throw on it and disguise it as a coffee table. Throw some firearms in that. I came across a bunch of links/ideas on the internet for concealing firearms but I didn't save em.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post

The property is secluded, on 10 acres, in the woods, and there is no fear of a break in. Security lights galore and miles from civilization.

Any creative ideas here guys?

Thanks!
    Umm not to be a asshat, But actually....Your place is the perfect place to break into. Alone in the woods away from any neighbors or witness's to see anything. Far from neighboring homes on 10 acres, noone will hear a window break.

And security lights, ok a LITTLE deterant. What good are they if noone else can see them turn on? So if your not home, the lights outside turn on by motion, nobody is going to see anything. Once the bad guys figure out the motion sensors are doing the lights, they will find a way in.

Just some thoughts to think about.. me personally I would put the safe upstairs. Get a few buddies together for a BBQ and some beer, fatten em up some and move the safe. Pick up some supports, to temporarly brace the steps, and get to slave labor. Also check the larger rental places, some have appliance handtrucks that have powered stair climbers.

If you know anyone who works for coca-cola or pepsi, their cooler delivery guys use them. See if they can borrow one. Another thought, know anyone with a tow truck with a boom, or a tractor with a loader on it??

I moved my heritage safe from my den to my living room upstairs. did 99% on my own. When I got to the ramp to go up onto my deck, I had 9 people there in case it slipped or started to go off the ramp. But pulled it up the ramp on my own. Safe weighs in just a tad over 800 lbs.

JUST DO THE SAFE THING... dont hink it cant happen to you, because it very well can. And your place sounds like the ideal easy target...

Snert..

On edit- OK just checked out the video, no windows or sliders going to a deck? So guess you can scratch the loader/boom thought. But what does the cast iron wood stove weigh? compare this to the safe, and use the appliance hand truck by the fridge, and a few buddies.
    what brand/modle safe do you have? and is the interior removable to make it lighter to move? Aw hell get those dang forearm forklift straps....They make you stronger according to the infomercial, you can lift a ton with those....only kidding
    Last edited by Snert; February 11th, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast