Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default For Sale Forum Restrictions

Is there a way to limit the for-sale forums to not allow people under a certain number of posts or that have not been a member for X amount of days to post messages? I have seen several brand new members sign up and have 1 post and it is selling a firearm. I just hate to see people who sign up here, post 1 message to try and sell a gun and then never contribute anything to the community.

Perhaps others don't feel the same way so I thought I would post my thought here.

Thanks.,

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: For Sale Forum Restrictions

I can see what you're saying, but should it work both ways?

If you put up an item for sale, should it be mandated that only members with "x" amount of posts be able to BUY said item?

Sure, some people may sign up "just" to post a "free" classified... but there are others who are members who mostly read the posts, but don't participate all that much. Their loss to a degree, but I think that as long as they are members, they deserve to place an ad.

Besides, a deal is a deal, and if it's not a deal, nobody will buy it.
    I doubt many of us would complain if we picked up a case of ammo for half price from someone who "just" signed up to post the ad.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I guess I can see both sides there, at least if someone just signs up to purchase an item from a participating member they are helping out one of our members who is contributing. I dunno, perhaps once I am off all these various decongestants I will look back and read this stuff and say WTF WAS I THINKING But I just saw a couple of those peeps in the for sale forums and was thinking they posted a for sale a couple days/week ago and haven't posted more than that 1 message since. But alas, I could certainly be wrong, but EM is never wrong so if he thinks the ideas sucks then....

(Lackawanna County)

Yeah...I dont mind those messages because its beneficial to all of us.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ericjones80 View Post
    Yeah...I dont mind those messages because its beneficial to all of us.
    Be quiet.

You don't have enough posts to voice your opinion yet!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

PAFOA offers a lot of different services to a lot of different people. If someone is only interested in selling a gun, that's fine with me. To do so they have to sign up and will go on our email list.

If nothing else it's more eyeballs on us and the more the better. They're certainly not HURTING anything by only posting one gun to the classifieds and they have the POTENTIAL to be helping by coming more involved in the future.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Adams County)

I'll be honest. I originally joined here to sell a AR 15 Upper....(which I did quickly, to a member who frequently participates, thanks!). I had never joined anything like this before. I must say I enjoy it. Infornmative, honest opinions, and sometimes incredibly entertaining! I have a feeling if somebody puts in a classified ad, and each time they check on it, or get a response, they might see a post or thread that will interest them......and then they will be hooked!

Thanks for a great place to unwind!

(Susquehanna County)

Plus I would guess some may be members but just lurk and then all the sudden have to get rid of a gun

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    Plus I would guess some may be members but just lurk and then all the sudden have to get rid of a gun
    But those people would be covered if it was a case of you have to be a member for X days before posting a for sale item. I've seen forums that did the minimum number of posts thing, and that just seems to result in a bunch of junk posts, just so the member can get to the number required.

That said, the only reason I'd use to justify something like this is to cut out the spammers, but they post to all the forums, not just the relevant ones, so it wouldn't really work for that, either. Unless, new members were all put on moderated posting for X days, where their posts had to be approved by a moderator/admin before actually reaching the boards. That, however, would just make a lot of extra work for the admins/mods. And generally, there are usually better ways of dealing with spammers, but I don't know the software used here to know if the same trick that works in phpbb would work here. (basically adding a custom field to the sign up page, so the spam bots can't sign up, as the page has a field they're not programmed to fill in correctly.)

Anyway, after all that, I guess what I'm saying is I agree that the for sale section should be left open to all members, regardless of their post count or length of membership.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Be quiet.

You don't have enough posts to voice your opinion yet!

point taken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast