Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Would you be willing?

Just curious as to how many people would be willing to accept a change in the LTC law that would add that you must complete a minimum of an 8 hour safety course (hunter safety would be o.k.) if it allowed PA to get more reciprocity agreements with states that have a higher standard for licensing. Let me know your thoughts.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Would you be willing?

I would be for the law change if it also had something in it that would remove the Powertrip from sheriffs etc. As in a safety course and PICS background check gauranteed your ltcf.
    "But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." Dec of Ind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
    Just curious as to how many people would be willing to accept a change in the LTC law that would add that you must complete a minimum of an 8 hour safety course (hunter safety would be o.k.) if it allowed PA to get more reciprocity agreements with states that have a higher standard for licensing. Let me know your thoughts.
    I think if the AG came out and said , ok the following sites will sign on the dotted line with PA if we have training as a requirement for the LTCF I might be ok with that being a requirement for renewal and new LTCF issued. I really don't think they should require it of all the current holders cause it would be crazy enough trying to get all those people scheduled for training, they may need to have a "phase in" where they let people know that in the next 3 years we are going to do this, that way people can plan and get the training done without massivey overwhelming the few firearms training companies in the area.

Or perhaps the PSP can offer an 8 hour safety class free of charge to people who want to take theirs.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    I think if the AG came out and said , ok the following sites will sign on the dotted line with PA if we have training as a requirement for the LTCF I might be ok with that being a requirement for renewal and new LTCF issued. I really don't think they should require it of all the current holders cause it would be crazy enough trying to get all those people scheduled for training, they may need to have a "phase in" where they let people know that in the next 3 years we are going to do this, that way people can plan and get the training done without massivey overwhelming the few firearms training companies in the area.

Or perhaps the PSP can offer an 8 hour safety class free of charge to people who want to take theirs.
    I agree for more recopies I'd go for a course

(Westmoreland County)

Disclaimer: I train at least once a year. I also assist in training other folks.

The second amendment outlines our right to bear arms. The LTCF is a restriction on that right. It is an attempt to turn a right into a privilege. To further restrict that right is an abomination. The only modification needed to the LTCF is it's elimination. It works for Vermont.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Allegheny County)

This is a loaded question.

Yes I think there should be required safety training not just for LTCF holders but for any brand spanking new purchaser of firearms.

I've seen too many newbs and a few old timers NOT practice good muzzle discipline, among other safety violations.

Flame on.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    This is a loaded question.

Yes I think there should be required safety training not just for LTCF holders but for any brand spanking new purchaser of firearms.

I've seen too many newbs and a few old timers NOT practice good muzzle discipline, among other safety violations.

Flame on.
    Here is some heat. Not much. Just a little.

If the RKBA is truly a right, then there can be no restrictions on it. If it can be restricted then it is a privilege. Try this: You can practice any religion as long as you attend school to learn it's book and take a test proving your competency with the concepts. Or this: You can say whatever you want as long as you have attended classes and proven your competency in the subject matter. IOW, no degree in Poly Sci, no talk about politics. Sucks, doesn't it?

I've stood behind the sales and rental counter in ranges and gun shops. I've had more muzzles pointed at me than Carter has Little Liver Pills. Do I like it? Hell, no! But it is an opportunity to educate. (The flip side getting muzzled by the clerk at Big Cheap Discounter or National Sports Chain. Where do they find these people? They are the ones who should be trained.) As an RSO, I've seen some pretty careless things. And it almost always boils down to training. When I walk into the range and say, "You probably didn't realize it, but when you..." they almost always get a look of embarrassment on their faces and apologize profusely. Yes, it is a training issue.

I would love to see everyone get training. But to require it as a condition of getting an LTCF is just the wrong thing to do. It is a restriction on a right.
    Last edited by TRB; February 5th, 2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling, and syntax
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Luzerne County)

I don't think we should have the "permit" in the first place, so no for me.

Call me an extremist I guess

(Lawrence County)

I'm with TRB and Patriot, shouldn't be a LTCF to begin with. If you are responsible enough to own a gun you should be able to carry it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I'm with TRB and Patriot, shouldn't be a LTCF to begin with. If you are responsible enough to own a gun you should be able to carry it.
    I'll add for clarity. I have nothing against training, as anyone that knows me knows I'm a big advocate. But "rights" are just that.
    Either we have them or we don't and a "requirement" means you don't have them.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast