Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default I used Silver Bear 9mm for the first time . . .

It's really good ammo. Here's a video of me shooting 100 rounds of it through my PT92 with no problems.

Any other suggestions on good, inexpensive ammo?
    Last edited by Misery Loves Shotguns; February 7th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I used Silver Bear 9mm for the first time . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    It's really good ammo. Here's a video of me shooting 100 rounds of it through my PT92 with no problems.

Any other suggestions on good, inexpensive ammo?
    I bought some Wolf Classic 9mm from aimsurplus few weeks ago, cost me 18.8 cents per round delivered. Shot it through my Beretta 92FS without issue.

(Lancaster County)

I love Silver Bear, especially in 145 grain subsonic for suppressed use.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    I bought some Wolf Classic 9mm from aimsurplus few weeks ago, cost me 18.8 cents per round delivered. Shot it through my Beretta 92FS without issue.
    I think Beretta's 92 design is unstoppable. I can't think of a single time my Taurus 92 has jammed in the four or five years I've had it.

I tried shooting Wolf classic .223 through my M4 and it jammed 8 or 9 times in a 40 round magazine. Fortunately, I only bought those 40 rounds! Immediately before that, I shot 40 rounds of AE .223 and had zero problems. That was my only experience with wolf so far . . . not a good one.

The ammo is good for blasting, not anything else, in my opinion. If you want to hit the X every time, this ammo is not for you, no matte what gun you own. I don't hate anyone, I just hate the crap ammo they say is accurate, yet is only minute of school bus at 15 yards. Sorry for being brusque, but it is what it is. It is a good, cheap ammo for speed shooting drills, if your gun will run on it. Every gun I own eats it up, fast, but it is not x within an X accurate, plus, it is gummy as all get out.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Silver bear, Wolf steel case, laqure cased, I've shot them all without any issue.
    Frankly, im not sure why some people are so damn picky about them.

I just shot 200rds of Steel case through my 1911 yeasterday, and it worked good.

They do stink I think tho.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    The ammo is good for blasting, not anything else, in my opinion. If you want to hit the X every time, this ammo is not for you, no matte what gun you own. I don't hate anyone, I just hate the crap ammo they say is accurate, yet is only minute of school bus at 15 yards. Sorry for being brusque, but it is what it is. It is a good, cheap ammo for speed shooting drills, if your gun will run on it. Every gun I own eats it up, fast, but it is not x within an X accurate, plus, it is gummy as all get out.
    silver bear 55 gr 55.6 from 50 yds i know its close in for a rifle but a nickle covered the 7 out of ten that are touching.

i think it speaks well of the ammo i will be using it again to be sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Silver bear, Wolf steel case, laqure cased, I've shot them all without any issue.
    Frankly, im not sure why some people are so damn picky about them.

I just shot 200rds of Steel case through my 1911 yeasterday, and it worked good.

They do stink I think tho.
    does it smell of ammonia to you? thats what i think and my buds think im crazy when i say that.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    I think Beretta's 92 design is unstoppable. I can't think of a single time my Taurus 92 has jammed in the four or five years I've had it.

I tried shooting Wolf classic .223 through my M4 and it jammed 8 or 9 times in a 40 round magazine. Fortunately, I only bought those 40 rounds! Immediately before that, I shot 40 rounds of AE .223 and had zero problems. That was my only experience with wolf so far . . . not a good one.
    Don't blanket-judge a brand based on one caliber's performance. .223 is a different animal altogether then 9mm. The only exception to this rule is TulaAmmo which I have heard bad reviews across the spectrum of calibers. The older Wolf had laquerer coating whereas newer stuff is polymer coated. The laquerer stuff would heat up and get sticky in the chamber.
    Also, steel cased ammo in .223 chambers do not expand, allowing carbon buildup, also causing cases to stick in chamber after awhile w/o cleaning. Straight-walled cases such as 9mm do not experience this as much.
    Last edited by Sparxfly72; February 8th, 2012 at 09:33 AM.

From what I've gather Silver bear ammo is superior to Wolf probably on par with Sellier & Bellot which I also like. Silver Bear is good forigen ammo from what I see.
    Last edited by Neko456; February 8th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast