Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Spray and Pray?!?!?

This may belong in the "Shops" section, but I'll leave the name out for now.

I was at a local shop yesterday looking for some stripper clips. I've never bought a firearm there, but have often bought accessories, cleaning supplies and even a safe. I was considering buying a 10/22, but I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere now.

As I was waiting to ask the counter clerk about the stripper clips, he was working with another customer who was about to buy a Glock. The customer asked about a rail mounted laser and if it was worth it. The clerk actually said... "Well, I guess you could spend the extra money, but I believe in the spray and pray principle."

Now, I normally mind my own business, but this stunned me so much, I was talking before I knew it. I looked at the customer and said, "I have a laser in all of my carry guns because if it comes down to it, I am going to hit my target and (a little louder now) NOT THE 3 YEAR OLD AND HIS MOTHER standing beyond or well off to the side."

The clerk looked at me and said "Well, I still think spray and pray is a better option, especially if you don't practice much."

At this point I was dumbfounded. I looked at the customer and said, "Listen, if you're seriously going to carry a firearm for defense you need to train... a lot. If the SHTF you can't leave your safety, your family's safety, and innocent bystander's safety to luck.. or even prayer".

I talked with the customer a little more, and informed him of PAFOA and the wealth of info and knowledge here, and finally suggested that if he wasn't sure about the laser, hadn't considered what gun was best for his needs, how much of investment this was beyond just the gun and a box of hollow points, then maybe he ought to wait a little while longer on the purchase. He followed me out of the store, without a purchase and thanked me for the info.

I hope he decides to log in here at a minimum and getting some training would be even better.

Spray and Pray?!?! What are some people thinking?

(Blair County)

Default Re: Spray and Pray?!?!?

ok this may seem like a stupid question, but was there sarcasm involved? If not I'm with you on this one.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Northampton County)

No sarcasm whatsoever.

(Allegheny County)

I just had to

(Mifflin County)

If this was just a store clerk, I think I'd go and have a long talk with the store owner/manager about the situation. If he feels that the clerk was giving appropriate advice, THEN tell us what shop it was, so we all know what shop to avoid/have our friends/family avoid.

(Dauphin County)

just some jacka$$ kid trying to act big, but he deffinately needs to have a talking to by his manager !!!

wow i just cant believe he said that after you mentioned training !!!

(Allegheny County)

Works in paintball but I wouldn't trust my life or familes life with a 12+1 spray and pray hoping to hit something before the next mag goes in. You should have asked him what he does when he is out of ammo? Calls a time out? Or does he use the pirate method and load anything he can find into the gun?

(Susquehanna County)

Did you ask the kid if he carries ??? God I hope not

(Dauphin County)

carries ? i wonder if he has ever even shot a real pistol...

(Northampton County)

I didn't ask the clerk (it's funny how a bunch of people seem to know he was kid... I didn't even mention his age... but yeah, early twenties) if he carried. I gave up on him after the second comment about spray and pray and concentrated on getting the customer to do a little more research before buying a gun and then doing a mag dump the moment he thought about drawing his weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast