Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default thoughts on this non-encounter?

So, I went Grocery shopping at Giant Eagle about an hour after the Superbowl. I had a G23 concealed at 3 o'clock owb in a blackhawk. Was covered by a fleece pullover. I'm sure concealment was lost when I was unloading my cart and possibly at other times when I was bending or reaching. I didn't notice any looks from the cashier and no one said anything to me.

As I leave Giant Eagle, I pulled out onto a side road and approached the intersection where I turn north to head home. As I'm turning left I notice a Police car that was heading south has made a u-turn and is now slightly in front of me heading the same direction. He is going slow in the right lane so I pass him in the left lane. He stays behind me (one lane over) for the next 5-6 miles until I turn onto the road that leads to my apartment complex. Then he lights me up.

He approaches and asks for license and registration. It takes me a mintute to dig the reg out of the glovebox but I eventually find it. He tells me he pulled me over because I was "hugging the yellow line". He speculated that maybe I had been on the phone. He also said my right rear tail light was blinking on and off. I didn't respond to any of it. Runs my license and comes back, advises me to get the tail light checked out and tells me I'm free to go.

Never asked if I had been drinking or if I had anything illegal or any firearms in the car. I originally thought it was gun related because there was a second cop about 15 seconds behind the first one, but he seemed to continue heading south. That combined with the u-turn when he saw I was heading north made me think I was being targeted. I guess he was just fishing for drunks and figured out pretty quick that I wasn't?

(Bedford County)

Default Re: thoughts on this non-encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by Deal_me_In View Post
    So, I went Grocery shopping at Giant Eagle about an hour after the Superbowl. I had a G23 concealed at 3 o'clock owb in a blackhawk. Was covered by a fleece pullover. I'm sure concealment was lost when I was unloading my cart and possibly at other times when I was bending or reaching. I didn't notice any looks from the cashier and no one said anything to me.

As I leave Giant Eagle, I pulled out onto a side road and approached the intersection where I turn north to head home. As I'm turning left I notice a Police car that was heading south has made a u-turn and is now slightly in front of me heading the same direction. He is going slow in the right lane so I pass him in the left lane. He stays behind me (one lane over) for the next 5-6 miles until I turn onto the road that leads to my apartment complex. Then he lights me up.

He approaches and asks for license and registration. It takes me a mintute to dig the reg out of the glovebox but I eventually find it. He tells me he pulled me over because I was "hugging the yellow line". He speculated that maybe I had been on the phone. He also said my right rear tail light was blinking on and off. I didn't respond to any of it. Runs my license and comes back, advises me to get the tail light checked out and tells me I'm free to go.

Never asked if I had been drinking or if I had anything illegal or any firearms in the car. I originally thought it was gun related because there was a second cop about 15 seconds behind the first one, but he seemed to continue heading south. That combined with the u-turn when he saw I was heading north made me think I was being targeted. I guess he was just fishing for drunks and figured out pretty quick that I wasn't?
    What is entertaining is I have had friends pulled over for hugging the white line. I was always told keep it between the lines, but I guess you cant get too close these days....

(Cumberland County)

If you really want thoughts...

Cover your gun. It's not that hard.

If you "lost concealment" while moving groceries from the cart to the car you're doing it wrong, plain and simple. Do you want people calling the police to report an MWAG every time you go to the grocery store?

Then again the police thing could be totally coincidental, and no one ever saw your gun and you're just paranoid about it.
    I'm not trying to be a dick. Just trying to be honest. If you're going to carry CONCEALED do it. Hide the gun. Don't be some dipshit who thinks it's cool people can see that he's printing. OC if you want to, conceal (well) if you don't. There really isn't an in between. Anyone who tells you there is needs attention.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I got written a warning once for "touching the yellow line". Sounds like your experience was similar. Just another cop fishing for a traffic citation, pry hoping you were drinking during the superbowl. I think it is very doubtful that he knew about your weapon otherwise he would have inquired about it. Good job not feeling like you had to inform him that you were carrying.
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    If you really want thoughts...

Cover your gun. It's not that hard.

If you "lost concealment" while moving groceries from the cart to the car you're doing it wrong, plain and simple. Do you want people calling the police to report an MWAG every time you go to the grocery store?

Then again the police thing could be totally coincidental, and no one ever saw your gun and you're just paranoid about it.
    I'm not trying to be a dick. Just trying to be honest. If you're going to carry CONCEALED do it. Hide the gun. Don't be some dipshit who thinks it's cool people can see that he's printing. OC if you want to, conceal (well) if you don't. There really isn't an in between. Anyone who tells you there is needs attention.
    It certainly wasn't intentional and I wasn't trying to look cool. My jeans were a little loose and the fleece rode up while grabbing items from the cart and putting them on the conveyor belt for checkout. Thanks for the advice.

(Northampton County)

Last time I checked, being on the phone was explicitly left out of the last cell phone driving law. I remember reading specifically that they were only banning text-based communication.

(Indiana County)

My thoughts?...

You were pulled over for hugging the yellow line and a bad light. Officer didn't issue you a ticket and you were on your way, just like it happens to hundreds of people every day.

I doubt you carrying and getting pulled over are related.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Sure there is. There's "I'm neither attempting to fully conceal nor overtly OCing. I'm just carrying my firearm the same way I would carry a phone or flashlight or some other tool on my belt."

There's no reason legally, morally, or aesthetically (most times, anyway) why anyone in PA shouldn't casually carry that way if they feel like it (assuming they have a LTCF).

I realize OP described his own carry as "concealed". Legally it was for most of the trip from the sound of it. But there's no reason he's obligated to keep it that way.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lancaster County)

I oc but when its cold I throw on a sweatshirt or jacket. I don't draw attention to myself by constantly checking if I'm covered. I don't make sure my phone is covered. Don't you think people might become more suspicious if you appear to be hiding a legally carried firearm?

Faulty taillight huh? Hmm, I've been driving since 1986. I've seen flickering taillights, mostly on some sort of Trailer...like a travel trailer, fifth wheel, or cargo trailer, like 18 wheel types...but on passenger cars? Not very often...

I didn't know hugging a line was a traffic violation. I know it can be an indicator of an impaired driver but it is not a violation.

Personally, I think the cop made up a reason to stop you. I suggest having an inspection mechanic inspect your taillights and if all is ok, file a complaint against the officer. Lying or manufacturing evidence is quite illegal.

CL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast