Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Quick LTCF question - does county matter?

I'll make this quick and simple. I live in Chester county but my official (billing, driver's license, etc) address is in Montgomery county. I realize LTCFs issued anywhere in PA are valid throughout the state and carry the same out-of-state privileges/rules, but does it matter from which county I get my LTCF? Do I have to get it from my official address county or can I get it from anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Quick LTCF question - does county matter?

Normally....a PA resident must get it from the Sheriff of the County in which you reside. But...if your driver's license says you live Montco, then that is where you must go.

And don't forget the much-loved Police Check Card for Montco

(Chester County)

Yeah, just read about that check card garbage. Honestly, I'm just going to go by their rules and deal with it. I'm in no rush to get my LTCF nor do I have the time, money, or wherewithal to deal with fighting this part of the system, despite understanding it's not right.

I'll search around to see if anyone has any experience with the Radnor Township PD, just to see what I may be getting myself into...

Thanks for the help guys!

(Chester County)

OP:

Just curious why your 'official' documents don't show your Chester County residence.

Is that something of your creation or because the post office assigned to servicing your residence is across the county border in another town?
    IANAL

(Chester County)

It's entirely of my own creation.

I lived with my mom in Wayne for about a year before my friend bought a house in Spring City and was looking for a roommate. I wanted to get out, so I moved here but kept my mom's address as my official address because I don't know how long I'll be here and don't want to go through the hassle of officially changing my address time after time.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41800216 View Post
    It's entirely of my own creation.

I lived with my mom in Wayne for about a year before my friend bought a house in Spring City and was looking for a roommate. I wanted to get out, so I moved here but kept my mom's address as my official address because I don't know how long I'll be here and don't want to go through the hassle of officially changing my address time after time.
    State law requires that you change your drivers license and vehicle registration within 15 days after changing your residence.

Where you reside is where you apply for your LTCF. ...so, that would be your friend's house. You need to update your DL first to have proper ID.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

It's quite possible for his mom's house and his friend's house to be his residence, but only one can be his domicile.

Unfortunately, the state doesn't exactly address the difference between the two in its laws. Where it says residence, it means domicile, but it doesn't say domicile - it says residence.

(Delaware County)

Yeah, just read about that check card garbage. Honestly, I'm just going to go by their rules and deal with it. I'm in no rush to get my LTCF nor do I have the time, money, or wherewithal to deal with fighting this part of the system, despite understanding it's not right.

I'll search around to see if anyone has any experience with the Radnor Township PD, just to see what I may be getting myself into...

Thanks for the help guys!
    I'll make this quick and simple. I live in Chester county but my official (billing, driver's license, etc) address is in Montgomery county. I realize LTCFs issued anywhere in PA are valid throughout the state and carry the same out-of-state privileges/rules, but does it matter from which county I get my LTCF? Do I have to get it from my official address county or can I get it from anywhere?

Thanks in advance!
    For what it's worth, if your Wayne address is in RADNOR TWP. you are in Delaware County, not Montgomery or Chester County, although both are very close by.

The area called Wayne also includes parts of Tredyffrin Township (Chester County) & Upper Merion Township (Montgomery County) but is mainly in Radnor Township (Delaware County).

Last edited by soberbyker; February 7th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

(Chester County)

It's definitely not Chester, where I currently sleep at night is Spring City (in Chester), about 20 miles from my mom's home in Wayne.

I dropped by the Radnor PD (beautiful building nestled in a very nice residential area) to drop off the check card, and after seeing my address the woman there said she's pretty sure I'm going to have to go to the Tredyffrin or Upper Merion PD. After I told her a major intersection nearby my mom's address she confirmed it's definitely going to have to be Upper Merion. So I scooted on over to the UMPD, dropped the paper off, and was told it will be ready Thursday. Fine by me! The UMPD is 5 miles from the Norristown courthouse, so with some luck I'll be driving home Thursday with my LTCF.

On the topic of officially changing my address...knight0334, what would happen if I owned multiple houses? I don't see why I couldn't just pick one of them as my main address at my discretion. Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, one can prove residency simply by having a few months worth of credit card/bank account bills/statements sent to an address.
    Last edited by 41800216; February 7th, 2012 at 02:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast