Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default AR and liquid assets

TLDR: Want easily sold AR that won't break the bank.

Long version: I decided to turn some of my less liquid assets into more liquid assets--comics into guns. I've got some high end comic books that I've picked up over the years. These have turned out to be good investments, but I want to turn them into assets I can play with and then sell again if needed. (I've got a few golden age gems--first 3 appearances of Two Face, Detective Comics 66 and Batman 50 and 68, as well as the first appearance of Wolverine in Hulk 180,181, 182--in case you are a comic nerd.) These are high price books so I'm not going to drop it all into guns, but at least some of it. I want some guns that will stay relatively stable on value and be easy to resell.

The big problem is that I wanted to be an AK guy. I'm certainly much farther to the left than 99.9% of this board so I really wanted to be an AK fan. However, once I went to a local gun shop and handled a few AKs, I just hated them. They felt clunky and the sights were horrid. I don't know how anyone gets a good sight picture off the stock sights. I prefer iron sights on most guns, so the sights were a big issue. I picked up a few ARs and I really liked them. So I'm stuck with wanting an easy to resell AR.

The problem is that high end investment ARs aren't easily sold. Sure, I can pick up something tricked out by Wilson Combat which would hold its value, but it would not be that easy to sell fast. A $15K Purdey double rifle may be a great investment but good luck trying to sell it fast. High end stuff may be a safe long term investment but it won't be easy to dump. That's the problem I have with my comic books. They are some blue chip titles, but not that many people are eager to drop over 2K for a single comic book.

So, I'm looking to get an AR that I can turn around quickly, if necessary. I'm not looking for an investment, just something that will hold its value. Lower priced assets seem to be easier to sell. This leads me to favor something like the S&W M&P Sport. It's relatively cheap and being so, should be relatively easy to resell at something close to it's original price. I want something that will be easily sold, quickly, and will retain some value.

If there is a zombie apocalypse, I think any functional AR will sell, so I'm not overly worried about any EOWAWKI events. I assume any modern firearm should be functional and reliable under 98% of circumstances. I'll deal with the other 2% as necessary.

So, any reason I should not get an S&W MP15 Sport?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: AR and liquid assets

If you want an AK, there are better sights out there (I recommend the Krebs rear peep sight). Gives you the same sight picture as an AR, M!-A etc. Many things out there to improve ergonomics. The factory grips are horrible. Hogue makes a fantastic grip for AK's. However, they'll always be clunky. That's just the way AK's are. They're not the finely tuned machines AR's are. But they both function equally as well when maintained and used properly.

On the other hand, The M&P15 Sport is a great recreational rifle. I'd highly recommend it for nothing more than a fun day at the range. They sell very well because they're a decently made AR for a VERY good price. If you want a rifle for defensive use, the higher end M&P15's (M&P15X or M&P15T, etc.) are on the low end of serious rifles.

Otherwise, there is also the M&P15VTAC and M&P15 mid-length Magpul Spec Series (This uses a Magpul Lower, not to be confused with the MOE version). Also, Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Noveske will all be mentioned as some of the best in the AR world you can buy.

What do you want? A fighting rifle, recreational, target? For a fighting rifle, lowest I'd go in the M&P15X or M&P15T. Otherwise, Colt, BCM etc. For recreational use the M&P15 Sport is perfect. There isn't a better choice, other than an M&P15-22 if you don't mind .22LR. For a more precision target rifle, Well, I really don't know. I'd rather have something bolt-action and .308 for that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyo View Post
    TLDR: Want easily sold AR that won't break the bank.

The big problem is that I wanted to be an AK guy. I'm certainly much farther to the left than 99.9% of this board so I really wanted to be an AK fan. However, once I went to a local gun shop and handled a few AKs, I just hated them. They felt clunky and the sights were horrid. I don't know how anyone gets a good sight picture off the stock sights. I prefer iron sights on most guns, so the sights were a big issue. I picked up a few ARs and I really liked them. So I'm stuck with wanting an easy to resell AR.

The problem is that high end investment ARs aren't easily sold. Sure, I can pick up something tricked out by Wilson Combat which would hold its value, but it would not be that easy to sell fast. A $15K Purdey double rifle may be a great investment but good luck trying to sell it fast. High end stuff may be a safe long term investment but it won't be easy to dump. That's the problem I have with my comic books. They are some blue chip titles, but not that many people are eager to drop over 2K for a single comic book.

So, I'm looking to get an AR that I can turn around quickly, if necessary.

So, any reason I should not get an S&W MP15 Sport?
    You have a sound handle on the whole idea; affordability for you now - and the same for a buyer at a future re-sale - has a virtue all its own. You will have shot the gun for free 5 years later.

Nothing wrong with an affordable M&P Sport; known name-brand recognition by the unwashed masses, and with a 1-piece forged lower with built-in "winter trigger guard", a melonited barrel, and ready to take the same kinds of optional railed optics one might swap on to an LE6920.
    True - it is missing the FWD assist that most of us never use, and is missing the dust cover that is often open more than it is closed here in the "wilds" of the NE USA. Not deal breakers.

You'll pay more for a S&W M&P than maybe say, an entry-level DelTon, but then some future buyer won't think a S&W is a 50's doo-wop band.

Lastly, you need to see more AKs tha just WASRs to be 100% certain. The entire design philosphy was for illiterate hair-backed peasants to be able to lay down fire with a minimally maintained rifle capable of 100% operations from jungle swamps to mountains to deserts. The AKs are supposed to be loose, crude, rude and lewd. Just like WASRs.

Some of the cosmetically-better "cheap" AKs out there that may still be readily found are the "Polish 1960 milled", the Yugo M70s, the Romy SAR-1s, and the Hunky AMDs. And of course any of the pricey pre-89 pre-ban CHICOMs.

The current SAIGA sporty AKs imported from Russia and converted to "original AKM configs" by Arsenal and Red Jacket are excellent, but many folks have done "partial" conversions of SAIGAs in their garages. My unconverted SAIGA is the most accurate 30-cal rifle I personally ever fired in my life.
    Last edited by nfafan; February 6th, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Berks County)

Stay in the entry level Colts, Rock river, Stags and you won't go wrong. If you have cash to throw around and want investment grade rifles, I suggest M-14, Colt 1911's, M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbines the such. These are very AMERICAN guns and will increase in value. Tonight at the superbowl what rifle did they carry? If you didn't notice shame on you.

(Lancaster County)

I think the S&W MP15 Sport is a great rifle. You don't really need a forward assist. I'm still in the reserves, 6 years, and I have yet to see anyone use it. The melonite barrel is a awesome improvement over some other manufactures. If you want to learn more about melonite look it up. I would prefer to have all steel part with that finish on them. There are easy upgrades you can do to an ak too. I just built one out of a match bulgarian parts kit. This is my first one and it turned out great. If you don't like the rear sight, I don't like it either, try the Texas Weapon System dust cover. Its pretty easy to switch out. I would say look at the ak74 because the 5.45x39 is pretty affordable right now. Thats my 2 cents.

Just my 0.02 as someone who has done alot of buying and selling of firearms in the private market.

If you are looking at doing this as an investment, thinking that you will be able to get out of the gun what you put into monetarily, you are mistaken.

While an Garand or M1 Carbine will at least hold its value (unless you paid too much for it to begin with), an AR will not hold its value that much. I don't care how "new" you say your gun is, unless the gun comes directly from the manufacturer, I really don't know what the history is of it for certain (and any problems with the gun will not manifest until after I have bought the gun), and as a result will not be interested in buying it unless it is at least 20%-30% off retail purchase price. Its not that Im trying to rip you off, its just that why should I spend $650.00 in a private sale for a gun that retails for $700-$725 new ?

For example, at the range I shoot at a person is trying to sell what he calls a NIB LE6920 right now for $1050.00 (sling, magazines, etc). Even though he never shot it (or so he claims), this is essentially a used gun. What makes him think someone will pay that much money for it when they can just get online and order one that really is NIB is beyond me. He would need to come down to $950.00 before someone would even think about buying it.

The only way to do this and come out of it while keeping your initial financial investment, or at least not losing much of it is to either find good deals on slightly used guns that you know to be functioning correctly, buying mil-surps that hold their value for a good price (i.e. buying CMP garands are essentially like getting a bank CD, you will always get at least your initial investment back), or buying things for a good price that has high collector interest.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    If you are looking at doing this as an investment, thinking that you will be able to get out of the gun what you put into monetarily, you are mistaken.
    This ^ right here. Bolded because it is spot on.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

If you're looking for a more liquid asset which will keep its value (or even possibly make you money), I would stay away from guns. While they have inherent value, as pointed out earlier, they don't hold their monetary value as well as you might think. Unless the gun is super-rare or otherwise collectible, you will likely lose money. Guns are also not as liquid as you might think.

For savings purposes, I would recommend buying gold or silver (i.e., real money). They are much more liquid and are much more likely to hold their value than just about anything else out there. They also don't have as many regulations attached to them as guns do.

(Bucks County)

The way I do what your wanting to do is to find an awesome "used" deal on here or in a store and jump on it. Later you will be able to resell it for the same or maybe more than you paid. I have done this and got more on trade than I originally paid when I bought it used.

(Beaver County)

How do you make a small fortune in firearms?
    Start out with a big one.

The suggestions I've read in here all appear to be sound. Weaver is pretty close about the forward assist. Only time I've seen it used are in chambering a round quietly (ie riding the charging handle forward) and when there is excessive carbon build up in the star chamber. But resale value on an AR without that? Very low.

Don't sell the AK short, as EvoRich said. Just like ARs, they have become a very modular platform. This is my Saiga 5.45:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast