Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default 6.5x52mm Carcano

I can tell that this will be a fun idea alone.

My grandfather had found several weapons in a ditch alongside a road several years ago, right after the flood of '96. Two weapons were break breech shotguns (both given to my father for display use only) and one was a M91 Mannlicher-Carcano. He took the rifle, cleaned it, and it's been sitting in his garage ever since.

For the record, he lives in Wheeling, WV. I plan on taking a picture, the serial, and a rubbing of any markings from the barrel to the local police department before I take ownership of the weapon (to ensure that it isn't stolen). I looked into getting it done as low-key as possible, but I have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to have to do it this way.

Now I've only found one link to a sale of the 6.5x52 ammunition, and it's going price was for $31 or so for 20 rounds. While some ammunition can be that expensive, the most reasonable idea would be to reload the cartridges because I don't want to have a weapon for "looks."

My question is where can/have you find/found this rare ammunition, and what equipment would you suggest for reloading this ammunition?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 6.5x52mm Carcano

Roj,
    Norma and Hornady both make loaded ammo as well as brass and bullets. Midway and Graf & Sons would be a couple of places you could supplies.
    You don't need any special types of reloading equipment for that cartridge.
    You will need a good up-to-date reloading manual.
    Be careful, those rifles are not the strongest ones out there.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Allegheny County)

Some were converted to 8x57 by the Nazis.....make double-damn-sure it's not one of those!......and if it is, I wouldn't shoot it at all.

I have a Carcano and have reloaded for it....haven't used it in a long time though. I found that the only bullet that i could get to shoot decently was a 160 gr. roundnose made by Hornady..not sure if they're still available. Lighter bullets will keyhole badly. Carcanos had gain-twist rifling (the rate of twist gets faster nearer the muzzle end of the barrel). Lighter bullets won't stabilise properly. I remember that i used IMR 4895 powder.

I used to see surplus ammo occasionally at gun shows (quite a few years ago)....maybe you could find some there.

Good luck with your project....be careful though. As was said, they're not the strongest rifles so DON'T try to hot-rod it.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Allegheny County)

I thank ya'll for your input.

Any other owners here? I'm also looking to mount an optic on it, and all I was able to find online was this mount and wondered if it would even work...
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&st=carcano&s=

(Allegheny County)

No..it won't because the rear of the action is split for the bolt to pass through.... I found a sort-of side-mount at a gunshow...it only would handle a small diameter scope. I had a gunsmith drill & tap the reciever for it and the knucklehead mounted it too far over the centerline and you couldn't push the clip down into the gun to load it (YES...I said CLIP. The Carcano uses 6 round CLIPS). If you mount a scope over the centerline of the receiver, you turn it into a single-shot.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bib View Post
    No..it won't because the rear of the action is split for the bolt to pass through.... I found a sort-of side-mount at a gunshow...it only would handle a small diameter scope. I had a gunsmith drill & tap the reciever for it and the knucklehead mounted it too far over the centerline and you couldn't push the clip down into the gun to load it (YES...I said CLIP. The Carcano uses 6 round CLIPS). If you mount a scope over the centerline of the receiver, you turn it into a single-shot.
    I've seen the types of clips for the rifle. Do they act like the clip of an M1 Garand, or that of an SKS stripper clip?

(Bucks County)

More like the M1 clip. The ammo is inserted into the action with the clip. When clip is empty it falls out the bottom of the trigger guard. No way to use as a repeater unless the clip is used.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

You can use a Weaver side mount , With 1inch ring , you can find it at Brownells web site . I have be reworking a Carcano myself.

(Allegheny County)

Well I had inadvertently found a page all about reloading this shell.

http://personal.stevens.edu/~glibera...mo/reload.html

Just posting it here for future reference and for those that may also use one of these weapons!