Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Can I be denied entry?

As a LTC holder can I be denied entry into a private business open to the public because I am carrying a concealed weapon? This business, has in the past, had employees pat down people before allowing them to enter. Is this pat down legal?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Can I be denied entry?

I don't believe the pat-down is legal (unless you allow it), but they are definitely allowed to deny you entry. Their property, their rules.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lycoming County)

If you do not consent to the search, your privilege to enter or remain upon the private property can be revoked or witheld. So again, you do not have to allow them to search you, but you can not enter.

Be safe.

Scott

they can not let you in for any reason, and if their policy is to require a patdown then you can obviously refuse it, but they can also deny you entry for refusing it. But as far as legal action if you would be in there and they would notice the firearm there is nothing they can do besides ask you to leave, if you dont you can be charged with tresspassing.

(Allegheny County)

How do they (or do they) pat down women? Seems to me they need a better system possibly metal detector wand in order to avoid issues. I'm guessing this is a private club or a bar?

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

We went out this past saturday to the brickyard, downtown lancaster, pa. Haven't been there in a while. Anyway, this douchbag bouncer at the door was acting all sorts of "cool" and he had a wand.

We were the first ones in line who had to wait because I guess the place was too full.

I wasn't armed.

But, I told myself if he brings that wand towards me, two things are going to happen - Either I'll shove it down his pipe, or I'll just leave.

We just left.

Boy was he a douchebag.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for all the quick replies and yes it is a night club open to the public.

(Chester County)

I know this is going to sound snarky, but if a nightclub or a bar feels that there is a need to have security wanding or patting down customers, I take it as a sign that it's the sort of place that expects trouble. I try to avoid trouble, which means I don't want to be there.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I know this is going to sound snarky, but if a nightclub or a bar feels that there is a need to have security wanding or patting down customers, I take it as a sign that it's the sort of place that expects trouble. I try to avoid trouble, which means I don't want to be there.
    I see your point and it's one that I usually adhere to but they have a performer scheduled (DAC) that I would really like to see and since he's older than dirt (his age is a well kept secret) I doubt that I will get this chance again.

(Lycoming County)

Rule,
    One of the services my company provides is nightclub security. At some of these accounts, we use wands as well as pat search (if the wand hits on sometihing). Not sure if you have heard anything about Williamsport, PA in recent years. A lot of shootings relative to the size of the city.

Truth be told, my personnel being there in the first place is a good indication that it may not be the best of places to visit. However, TGI Fridays do not need my men and I am certain would not pay our fee. The clubs that attract the urban culture are my clientele. Just guessing here, but you probably would not visit them, regardless if we were running metal detectors or not

That being said, I wave or clap through all sorts of individuals I know are armed. Good Citizens as well as off-duty LEOs. Some folks give me a bad time because I pick and choose who gets through. I tell them that is fine and if they disagree with my methods they should get a license, form a company and try to get the contract for the club. Until then, I have armed individuals in the clubs I am responsible for all the time, I just get to pick them

Be safe.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast