Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Smile New to the area and new to Firearms

Howdy,

Guess I should introduce myself... My name is Tj and I just bought a house on the easter edge of Pottstown. I've lived in PA most of my life and always have been an avid fisherman. I've just recently gotten involved with firearms and I'd eventually like to get started in hunting as well. This whole thing is new to me and I'm trying to get as much information as possible. Thanks to a few colleagues at work I've gotten my foot in the door. I bought a Mossberg 500 20 GA deer/field combo to get started with because most of the guys here hunt locally and only shotguns are permitted. I've been to French Creek twice to get a feel for my gun and I do enjoy it. I signed up for the Hunter Education classes at Lower Prov. rod & Gun club in March.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a local club or location to really get me pointed in the right direction and also provide a place for me to shoot that is a little more regulated and taken care of than the state run places. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee like a pay as you go type place or even member fees if they aren't too unreasonable.

I did a search on this site and found that the Lower Pottsgrove Sportsmen Assoc. is close but for whatever reason whenever I try to access their website I get an error.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Tj

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to the area and new to Firearms

Why not try Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club

www.LPRGC.org

Meeting is tomorrow night, 8 pm

Dues about 120 + initiation fee (100 I think)...check the website for details

Trap shoots are open to the public on Fridays.

If not looking to join right away... stop by and listen to the meeting, get an idea what is going on (etc)

Show up for a Friday night Trap shoot.

If looking to get in to pistol, rifle or Archery, the club has many experienced folkes there that can assist you in whatever discipline you choose.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks! I'll check that out but I wont be able to get to a meeting until March.

(Montgomery County)

Theres also the Cacoosing Gun Club in Birdsboro.

Also, theres an archery/gun club in North Coventry, but I haven't been over to check it out yet.

LP from what I hear is a good club, but the $120/year and work requirements are a little much for me atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0
    When are people going to learn that safety is not a "feeling"

(Montgomery County)

Thanks, I'll check that out as well. My Uncle is a member of Kimberton gun club I guess is what it is called. He called me yesterday asking if I would like to go to next months meeting with him. I think I might check it out to see what they are all about.
    Last edited by soup; February 6th, 2008 at 09:38 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Thanks, I'll check that out as well. My Uncle is a member of Kimberton gun club I guess is what it is called. He called me yesterday asking if I would like to go to next months meeting with him. I think I might check it out to see what they are all about.
    Welcome to Pottstown! I live up on the north end.

I've heard good things about Kimberton. I've also heard there's a pretty nice range in birdsboro, but have yet to shoot at either.

Pete

(Montgomery County)

Thanks Pete

If you ever get to that one in birdsboro let me know how it is :-)

(Montgomery County)

Hi, in case you ever need to FFL any guns (that you buy online) you should use Scott at snipercountry.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/

He doesn't have a brick and mortar shop but you could buy anything from the web site directly from him and do FFLs through him. Nice guy, former military. I recommend him.

If you live in east Pottstown you should be able to throw a stone to this location:

Sniper Country PX
    3103 Pruss Hill Rd.
    Pottstown, PA 19464

If you find a good range locally let me know. Nothing has jumped out at me or really impressed me yet.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw Pact View Post
    Hi, in case you ever need to FFL any guns (that you buy online) you should use Scott at snipercountry.

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/

He doesn't have a brick and mortar shop but you could buy anything from the web site directly from him and do FFLs through him. Nice guy, former military. I recommend him.

If you live in east Pottstown you should be able to throw a stone to this location:

Sniper Country PX
    3103 Pruss Hill Rd.
    Pottstown, PA 19464

If you find a good range locally let me know. Nothing has jumped out at me or really impressed me yet.

Thanks for the info. I was checking out the site and found a few things of interest. You have dealt with him in the past? I'll try and give a call this week to see about getting something. Does he have any show room even though he has no "brick and mortar" store?

I joined Kimberton fish and game. I really like their facilities and it isn't too far away.

(Montgomery County)

Does he have any show room even though he has no "brick and mortar" store?
    Yes and no. He has a "shop" in his garage, but you would definitely want to call ahead and see what he has in stock (to actually see). A lot of the guns on his web site are dropped shipped from wholesalers.

But there are certainly guns he has there at his house ready to sell, as well as accessories. In fact, the room looks like a bunker full or stuff- just military stuff everywhere. But you don't just show up- you have to call ahead of time to make an appointment.