Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Gun safe options

I am in the market for a gun safe for our basement, and wanted to check in with the experts to see what you folks would recommend. The main purpose for the safe is keeping the kids and anyone else who might be in my house away from the firearms. I'm not too concerned about fire rating, and what I've seen is the 1200 degrees for 30 minutes rating which would be more than sufficient for my purposes.

I want to have storage for probably 3-4 long guns eventually, and maybe 5-10 handguns, and would be interested in what you folks might be using, what sort of price ranges you have seen, and recommendations if you have any. Thanks a lot in advance for any thoughts!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Gun safe options

with these few guns, I would recommend getting the 300 Sentry 14 gun safe from wallmart and fixing it to a wall.

as you state, fire rating is not an issue (that is what homeowners insurance is for)

Get the 14 Gun safe, can easily accomodate the long guns

there are storage racks (don't have pictures of them) that will accomodate 4 pistols each... can easily get 2 racks on the top shelf and a few on the floor (not using all of the 14 gun safe space)

If you want to store ammo... different story

Reasonably secure if bolted to a wall... not that the kids are going to be going at it with a fire axe, etc, to attempt to open it. But REASONABLE security.

(Allegheny County)

Well, the stack on brand of safes are pretty reliable and reasonably prices. However, I soon filled my stack on and I needed a cheap and secure solution, and didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on the safe. I store my guns in a room in my basement that is concrete on all walls (including the ceiling) except for the fire door to get in to the room. OK, get ready to laugh....the best most functional and economical solution was an old refrigerater that wasn't working anymore. I tore the compressor out, ripped most of the guts out (except for a pistol shelf) and put two locks and hasps on it. It's great!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the response.. Sorry I didn't mention it, but I actually will probably want to have my ammo boxes stored in the safe as well. I don't have a ton of ammo, generally just about a thousand or two of mixed stuff at a time.

Actually, I have one for sale if you want it - It's a sentry, I'll post some pictures, if you like, I live in Lancaster county, 10 minutes off of the turnpike...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by st.marys View Post
    Well, the stack on brand of safes are pretty reliable and reasonably prices. However, I soon filled my stack on and I needed a cheap and secure solution, and didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on the safe. I store my guns in a room in my basement that is concrete on all walls (including the ceiling) except for the fire door to get in to the room. OK, get ready to laugh....the best most functional and economical solution was an old refrigerater that wasn't working anymore. I tore the compressor out, ripped most of the guts out (except for a pistol shelf) and put two locks and hasps on it. It's great!

Hmmm.. the fridge is an interesting approach. Part of the reason I want an extra secure safe is because my wife is a little leery about having firearms in the house, and I think it will put her mind at ease to have as sturdy a safe as is reasonably priced.

I am also going to pick up a gunvault minivault for my home defense pistol, though I'd prefer to have the mossberg upstairs with us. Any ideas on securing the shotgun in a safe, relatively quickly accessible manner in a bedroom?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    Actually, I have one for sale if you want it - It's a sentry, I'll post some pictures, if you like, I live in Lancaster county, 10 minutes off of the turnpike...

Thanks for the heads up. What are the specs. on the safe you're selling? What is your impression of the Sentry brand? Pretty sturdy for the purposes I'm talking about? Pictures would be great.

(Snyder County)

I have been looking around at safes and found this online and probably the best price for a pretty nice safe. I am considering buying this myself.

But I am also interested in sjl127's safe as well.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WitsBusa View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. What are the specs. on the safe you're selling? What is your impression of the Sentry brand? Pretty sturdy for the purposes I'm talking about? Pictures would be great.
    Sentry makes a decent safe. It is not the best for MAX security, but for keeping prying hands out, and the "unprepared" burglar.... it is perfectly fine. If they have the tools to get the safe...they will get the safe.

if the safe weighs 600 pounds or more... that is a little built in extra security... but bolting the senty to a wall stud is sufficient to stop most roberies... and certainly keep the little ones out.

the 14 gun safe will store your long guns nicely, give ample room on the floor for the ammo (stack it and you are fine) can easily get 8 pistols on the top rack, and it has a "web" attachment on the door that can accomodate a pistol or two easily

I'll put a classified up later, I need to take some pictures. It was fine before, but I just got too many guns and they needed a new home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast