Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ruger 10/22 Accessories Question

I am looking to purchase the (Volquartzen) bolt buffers and extended mag release and maybe 1 more extractor for my newest 10/22 - I was also suggested the auto bolt release in addition.

Are these items good sound additions or am I buying just more stuff to changeout my 2 10/22s?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 Accessories Question

Having a spare part or two is always a good idea, though after 15+ years and many thousands of thousands of rounds my extractor is fine. Extended mag release is a sound idea, the Ruger stock mag release can be a pain.

As for the bolt buffers....I am one of the guys out there that believe they are a solution looking for a problem. I read about them, took a look at mine (stock) and it was fine. A buddy has done up his 10-22 with all the bells and whistles and he has one, I would say it does quiet the recoil/action down a bit. Folks over at rimfire central and the Ruger forums have even said the hell with paying for one, make your own out of drill rod and tubing, or buying a nylon bolt.

If it works and helps to make the rifle function better for you I have no problem.

Personally the only thing I have a beef with is the stock trigger pull they have, big improvement if you do something with the trigger.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(York County)

I have a 10/22 stainless. When I first heard of the buffers, I checked my receiver. It was just starting to go oval on me. I replaced the bolt stop and have had no more issues. They wear well. I'm still on the original one.

+1 on the triggerwork. The original is horrible!

I don't have the mag release, but it would make things easier.

The auto bolt release is a definite plus. It makes it release like a centerfire.

(Bucks County)

If you use a silencer, the buffer makes a difference. It's much quieter.

The auto bolt release is something that you can do yourself for free by modifying the existing bolt release. You can find instructions with a quick google search.

I would only buy the extractor if you are having problems with your extractor.

The extended mag release is good but the new 10/22's come with one already, and have for a few years. If you have the older style mag release then I would replace it.

(Luzerne County)

I have been thinking about getting one of these.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/QualTac-Ruge...item564424343b

Do I need it? No. The gun will function fine with out it. But the 10-22 is so easy to upgrade, I say why not.

These are also all over ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-...item3a6ffb8ef7
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

IMHO, Extended magazine release is worth the money. Trigger job is worth the money. A buffer on a gun is both a stop and a shock absorber. Is a better shock absorber steel or a plastic (remember it's a gun part). I use Yellow Jacket buffers. They fit all the time. I bought a Volks buffer and it was too wide to fit.

Here is what a gunsmith would do and only a smith. In the red area you can see the "point" that needs to be filed down - on the left of the red area. The filed area should be more rounded than flat - but just a hair more rounded than flat. The picture on the right is what it should look like after the smith is done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mush; February 4th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Tried the newly cleaned magazine and for awhile it was good. Then it started again and then another magazine. But some were ok. Now I am not so sure it is the magazine. I didn't bring different ammo to try so if weather isn't too cold tomorrow, i will try different ammo to see it that makes a difference.

Maybe the gun needs oiled - i am not sure why the 10 22's are being difficult as so many say theirs run flawlessly.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Tried the newly cleaned magazine and for awhile it was good. Then it started again and then another magazine. But some were ok. Now I am not so sure it is the magazine. I didn't bring different ammo to try so if weather isn't too cold tomorrow, i will try different ammo to see it that makes a difference.

Maybe the gun needs oiled - i am not sure why the 10 22's are being difficult as so many say theirs run flawlessly.
    What kind of problems are you having?

She's having feed issues if I remeber correctly, I think she has another thread about that somewhere. She must have mixed them up.

(Allegheny County)

No my other 10 22 was having stovepipes or ejection issues which seems to be ok now that we put a volquartzen ejector in it.

This is my newest one I bought for an appleseed shoot in future which has a wood stock. It was running pretty good until just recently. This has no ejection problems - The problem is that it is not feeding all the time into the chamber - action stays open and when i pull on the knobbie thing and let it go - it usually then seats the bullet in and I am good to go. It was happening on just 1 magazine but today 2 magazines (original one plus another now).

I didn't bring different ammo today which I should have to see if it is the ammo. Will try to take it out tomorrow again with different ammo and same magazines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast