Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Gun Shop Protocol

I was at a gun shop recently and was taken aback by the salesman just handing the handguns over to me without checking it was clear first. So, I would check it myself.

I don't remember having a gun handed to me in this manner before. I didn't say anything but feel now that maybe I should have? He was an older gentleman, very nice, and I don't think he was new to firearms. A customer next to us was holding a gun from another person and it was pointing sideways right at me. I pretty much told my husband its time to move away from the counter area.

Is clearing a gun pretty much standard at most gun shops? Just curious.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Gun Shop Protocal

At every shop I've ever been in (except 1, which zip-tied all their firearms), the clerk always checked visually to make sure it was unloaded before handing the gun over to me.

Probably 4 out of 5 checked it when I handed it back.

Yup, they should check for clear before handing it to you. Then, you should check for clear with your own eyes.

Safety first, every firearm is always loaded. At least thats how they should be treated.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Beaver County)

It SHOULD be standard when any person is handing you a firearm. Said person checks it and then you check it.

I see you're near by. Out of curiosity, what area was the shop in? I'm not asking you to bash anyone, just say what County it was in.

(Philadelphia County)

It is standard practice where I work. We also notice unsafe practices in the range and point them out to the customers. If a customer wants us to check a firearm or just the caliber of that firearm, we tell the customer to have the action open before we look at it. Or, we do it ourselves.

Several times customers have handed loaded guns to us. We promptly open the action and then correct the customers.

(Allegheny County)

The shop was in Lawrence County I believe.

Just to clarify, the gun that I saw the end of the barrel on was a store gun that a customer was looking at but it made me a little extra nervous not knowing if that clerk had cleared it first. Although I never want to be in that position again regardless!

(Mercer County)

As has already been stated the clerk should have cleared the firearm before handing to you & when you accepted it from the clerk you should have cleared the firearm.
    It should have been cleared a third time when you handed it back to the clerk.

IMHO I would have said something, not only, to the person that pointing a firearm at me but clerk who allowed the person to do something that stupid. I also would probably say something to the owner of the shop about what I consider unsafe practices.

As far as a gun shop cleaning new firearms, most don't and for good reason. All firearms are test fired at the factory and will be shipped dirty. IF the FFL had his clerks cleaning all new firearms many would be rejected by customers. I can just picture the idiot marks that would be 1911, oil dripping off revolvers, and cylinder turn marks on revolvers. After purchasing a new firearm I will field strip & clean it to my standards.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

I was just asking about clearing (not cleaning) did I do a typo? will check it again.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I was just asking about clearing (not cleaning) did I do a typo? will check it again.

^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^

Sorry, it was me reading the last sentence of your post wrong. The old eyes aren't what they used to be: I read the last sentence in OP as Is cleaning a gun pretty much standard at most gun shops?

Sorry again "Old Timers" has kicked in again!!
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

No problem haha If I didn't put my reading glasses on, I wouldn't read most things properly!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast