Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Isosceles vs Weaver

I use isosceles when at the target range. If I ever had the misfortune to be in a gun fight I would be thinking of winning and living not on what stand is better.

(Bucks County)

If I ever get in a gun fight I'll be in whatever position I happen to be in when the need comes to draw my weapon. Hey, it might not have some fancy name like "Weaver" or "Isosceles" but it's surely better than the "fetal position" stance.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    In body armor, isosceles. Out of body armor, weaver.
    +1

I want whatever advantage I can get even if it is slight - weaver gives you the smallest target to an assailant. If I owned and wore armor then iso.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by prospero1919 View Post
    +1

I want whatever advantage I can get even if it is slight - weaver gives you the smallest target to an assailant. If I owned and wore armor then iso.
    so your sole reason for shooting with a bladed torso is to be a smaller target ? How much smaller ? Is this a stationary gunfight ?

and you do realize bladed one shot can double lung you right ? Nothing that says defensive mindset like lining up all your vitals !

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    so your sole reason for shooting with a bladed torso is to be a smaller target ? How much smaller ? Is this a stationary gunfight ?

and you do realize bladed one shot can double lung you right ? Nothing that says defensive mindset like lining up all your vitals !
    I don't even want to think about that.

If I EVER happen to find myself in a firefight, I'm gonna GIVE better, faster, more. So as to avoid taking that "double-lunger".

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Homeboy stance.
    I read an article posted last year about a gang who was apparently trying to distinguish itself by shooting their handguns upside-down with the pinkie pulling the trigger. I would assume that this gang is now extinct.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Bucks County)

And a head shot negates any stance - so if your opponent gets the jump on you and is a good shot ur fd no matter what stance you take - all things being equal presenting a smaller target is a +.
    Last edited by prospero1919; February 2nd, 2012 at 08:34 PM.

Weaver protects your groin much better, and to be "double lunged" your assailant will probably also have to shoot through your weak arm first. Precious few expanding handgun bullets have the performance to penetrate completely through the bicep and then through your entire torso.

I agree with the other poster that weaver gives a smaller, and better protected target. It also protects your strong shooting arm better IMO, which is something you really don't want to get shot.

If you don't see any value to that view point, then square up and ISO all you want. It's a personal choice.

Weaver is plenty fast for self defense purposes, and is actually a much better stance if the fight comes to physical grappling or blows because, again, your groin is far better protected in Weaver than it is in ISO, which leaves you completely exposed (No one would ever fist fight from an ISO stance, but Weaver is actually very similar to a common martial arts stance called "Bow" stance). Keep in mind FBI stats say almost every civilian self defense shooting occurs at a range of 7 to 10 feet. The chances of having to fight someone for control of your gun or in case of a malfunction or last shot lock back are real.

I do know someone that emptied a 1911 .45 into a guy and had to wrestle with him until he bled out. In any kind of a physical fight, i'd much rather start out in weaver than ISO.
    Last edited by Valorius; February 2nd, 2012 at 11:41 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Weaver is plenty fast for self defense purposes, and is actually a much better stance if the fight comes to physical grappling or blows
    As proven where?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    As proven where?
    Research the internet, tell me what you find.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast