Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: did the police have justification in there actions?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

15 16.30%
  • no

61 66.30%
  • dont know

11 11.96%
  • no oppinion

5 5.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Question pistol and shotgun confiscated by the police. are they wrong?

1/12/12...
    i had an incident in which my handgun discharged. i shot myself in the hand and had to call 911. when the police showed up they searched my home and confiscated both my 9mm croatian hand gun AND my late fathers 12 gauge shotgun. they claimed that it looked like an attempted suicide and that the officer in charge would talk to me at the hospital. i later informed him that it was simply an accedent. the officer said he would write in the report as such and i would most likely get my weapons back
    1/16/12...
    i called the property and evidence room at police dept. and was told the officer had not yet signed off on them and he would contact the charge officer. i would then have to undergo a federal back ground check. and i would recieve a call no later then 1/23/12.
    1/25/12../
    called the station again to ask about the status and was told the same information as on the 16th, no progress.

(both weapons where fully loaded at time of confiscation)

i still have not heard anything.

also the officer in the evidence room asked me if i had proof of my ownership of the shotgun. i told him i was under the impression that shotguns didnt need to be registered and that my father had passed away in june.

on a side note. i noticed that 5 shotgun rounds where missing when i came home and that a high tech mace gun that resembled a small handgun had been discharged, the replacement cartridges for these are hard to find and very expensive to replace

i feel as though my rights have been infringed and would like to know if i am correct in my beliefs
    Last edited by IRON MAN; January 31st, 2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: forgot information

(Chester County)

Default Re: pistol and shotgun confiscated by the police. are they wrong?

sounds like an illegal confiscation to me.

LAWYER TIME!!

i called the police chief today and left a message, if i still dont get a favorable reply i will call a lawyer. i had a very high profile job here about a month ago and was on the news 2 weeks prior to this incident involving my line of work. friends of mine have suggested that i contact the news stations. what do you think?

(Allegheny County)

I have always found it interesting that if the police secure your watch, cell phone, or notebook computer at the scene of an incident or accident they will give those items back to you under the presumption that if you have them then they belong to you. On the other hand, you need to prove that a gun belongs to you.

No matter what they claim, the police do this for one reason and one reason only. They are jackasses.

im not so much worried about my hand gun because i have registration papers for it and have not commited any crimes i can think of, ever. but the shotgun has no paperwork associated with it because i didnt think shotguns and rifles needed such things. if evidence of my ownership is needed i wont be able to provide any because its an hairloom. it was obtained by my grandfather in the late 50s and my dad got it when he bought his house

i will say both where loaded to capacity and where not locked up, though i dont think thats agenst the law either

(Allegheny County)

There is no registration of any firearm in Pennsylvania, in fact a gun registry is illegal but the police have a difficult time understanding that.

I bought most of my guns when I lived in another state so there is no Pennsylvania record of them. In theory, there should not be any problems but the police will often create one because many are professional jackasses and they like to give gun owners grief to keep their political masters happy.

(Wyoming County)

As requested...it is my opinion that the police should have TEMPORARILY TAKEN CUSTODY OF THE WEAPONS UNTIL THEY ASCERTAINED THAT IT WAS NOT A 302 SITUATION.

Just my personal opinion.

personaly police are a relic from a time when the criminal element actualy feared and respected them. todays criminals WANT to go to prision because it is a building full of career criminals and a fountin of criminal knowledge. a sociaty without armed citizens is a scared and preyed upon one. the police dont want average people to be armed because it underminds there power. since the police cannot be everywhere at once crimes happen and offten times the victim left without proper justice because the criminal falls back into obscurity. an armed population is a safe one. the police prey on and bring "justice" on those who obey the law and the ones that dont MIGHT get a slap on the wrist...it is obsured

it has been almost 4 weeks since the incident. is that not enough time to acertain that it was not a 302 situation? the charge officer knows me, as i said i maintained a very high profile point of employment for almost 3 years and had dealings with the police very often

(Allegheny County)

Did you get 302'd?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast