Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default What to wear, in what weather

Hello everyone,

Sort of new to carry here. I have yet to actually purchase my pistol, but, I am pretty dead set on a Sig Sauer P229. Just an issue of waiting on tax return money, hahaha! (Family member owns one, I've fallen in absolute LOVE with it) Basically, my question is along the lines of what do you guys wear in the warm weather. In the winter, I can see how easily it is to conceal one's handgun. (Jackets/sweatshirts, etc) But once the warmer weather comes around, what do you guys do to cover it up? I guess this question is focused particularly to guys who carry weapons the size of of the P229. I tend to go to Philly alot (Classes/Events/etc) and the last thing I would want is someone flipping out about seeing my handgun, etc. Not exactly a problem I want to deal with. So... What do y'all wear once the warm/hot weather kicks in?

Default Re: What to wear, in what weather

Most of us carry concealed under an untucked shirt (T-shirt, polo, etc.) in the summer. Fortunately, "baggy" has been "in" lately so you might want to go up a size. Dark colors are better than light colors for concealment, and patterns (especially irregular ones) are far better than plain colors. You can conceal a bazooka under a Hawaiian shirt. I rarely carry inside-waistband (IWB) in the summer -- only use the Crossbreed Supertuck for my M&P if I need to tuck in for some reason. If you're really paranoid (remember that open carry is legal in PA, except for state parks), you can go IWB and untucked (kind of a "belt-and-suspenders" approach).

(Philadelphia County)

I've tried the IWB holsters and OWB, for some reason I just preferred the IWB. Seemed like it just felt like another part of my body, rather than something hanging off me. Personally, just because I'd rather not have a confrontation with police (I've read those OC threads, it seems sort of nightmarish the stuff those guys go through at times) I doubt I'll ever open carry. Particularly in Philly, haha. I guess I'll have to do some shopping come this Spring, update the wardrobe a bit.

(Monroe County)

My problem with the 229 is the weight not the size, it is a easy gun to conceal especially if you go IWB, i carry mine in a DeSantis beltslide scabbard or a Don Hume JIT with a roomy shirt over it a la what Donm said about shirts.

(Montgomery County)

In order to deal with the weight you have to have a very good belt designed for carrying a gun. My favorites are:

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/

http://thebeltman.net/

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigHeck5 View Post
    I guess I'll have to do some shopping come this Spring, update the wardrobe a bit.
    Wait, let me get this right. You're going to dump close to a grand on a new handgun, then go spend several hundred dollars on a new wardrobe so you can carry it concealed? Where's the logic in that?

Here's the smart thing to do. Reassess your wants and needs. The sig you are looking at might be your grail gun, but if you're going to look like an ass hat trying to carry it concealed then why not choose something smaller/more concealable?

Realistically, you will probably be fine with purchasing an actual gun belt, and a quality holster. My 5.11 gun belt cost me 30$, and my galco king tuk iwb holster cost me 50$. With that set up I can conceal carry my full size glock model 22 in a t-shirt or light over shirt and nobody will know the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

I agree with donm. I'm a jeans and tee shirt kind of guy and carry both IWB and OWB in the warm weather. Have carried this way for years with no problem.

Dress the way you think will work for you. Go over to your girlfriends or a buddies house. See if they can make you. If they don't notice you're carrying,chances are others won't.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
    Dress the way you think will work for you. Go over to your girlfriends or a buddies house. See if they can make you. If they don't notice you're carrying,chances are others won't.
    I am a serious advocate of dressing around your carry and this is excellent advise. I do this often to test certain clothes and it`s good to be around people you are comfortable with who won`t "freak" if they do see you printing.

I carry a sig p229 everyday. Most of the time its concealed. All you really need is a good holster because its a very thick gun and can be uncomfortable. I have mine now in a TT Gunleather IWB and its great. Next thing you need is a good gunbelt. Something thick that can take the weight of the gun. Its friggin heavy.

With that said its easy to carry CC. I usually just wear an untucked t shirt, if the bottom of the shirt covers the belt im fine. If you can CC with a t shirt fine you can CC wearing pretty much anything for whatever weather. When its colder out and im wearing a coat I like to only have one garment covering my gun so I tend to tuck the other clothing behind the gun. But that might just be me. Your experience may vary.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Delaware County)

This question has come up various times. I carry in warm weather in a fanny pack. Now you have to pause for the many people who will now say, "Everyone knows when you have a fanny pack on you are carrying a gun!" I don't care, for me it works. Keep my keys, flashlight, Gerber tool and other stuff in it also.
    90% of the time I carry OWB holster and shirt, jacket over. The other I fanny pack it!

NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast