11 27.50%
  • Beretta Neos

5 12.50%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: semi 22

(Tioga County)

Default Re: semi 22

Quote Originally Posted by 60-15 View Post
    He even asked to see some revolvers, kind of surprised me.
    I certainly would never turn anyone away from a revolver. There are deals to be had on Ruger Single Six's and Smith K22 Masterpiece/model 17. Look at a Taurus Tracker, as well, although it may be a bit too heavy for a young 'un.

--Phil

(York County)

Curious, why would you never recommend the MkIII?
    He's not new to shooting, and shoots my SR9C very well.
    Is there something specific about the MkIII I should know about?
    I didn't say I wouldn't ever recommend a Ruger MKIII, what I said was that I would never recommend it to a kid or someone just starting out shooting.

Reason? It's a pain in the azz to disassemble and reassemble, and would turn alot of new shooters off to the sport, thinking that all pistols would be so diffucult to master. Once you get it down, you can reassemble in 2 minutes, but that is AFTER you master it and break it in. I used to have use a wood mallet to get the top off, now I can just "bump" it and comes off. How many pistols need a mallet to get apart? How many pistols require you to watch online tutorials in order to push the "cheese" up in just a certain position?

I love mine now that I've tweaked it up and mastered it, but I sure as hell would NOT recommend it for a newbie or impatient kid. I was 30 when I bought this, and until I got down the process, could barely stand thinking about it after shooting it. Oh sure, some guys drop it into Hoppe's #9 or spray it down, but I like to break everything down after I'm done shooting and make it look like new. I've got OCD, so no letting firearms sit dirty!!

Here is my custom Mark III target:

- The Delta Force

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeltaForce View Post
    I didn't say I wouldn't ever recommend a Ruger MKIII, what I said was that I would never recommend it to a kid or someone just starting out shooting.

Reason? It's a pain in the azz to disassemble and reassemble, and would turn alot of new shooters off to the sport, thinking that all pistols would be so diffucult to master.

Here is my custom Mark III target:

- The Delta Force
    Ok, thanks I appreciate that.
    I would imagine I'll be the one cleaning the gun when we're done, but even then I don't want it to be a pain in the arse.

By the way that is one sexy Ruger you got there, I like it!

(Luzerne County)

Ok, thanks I appreciate that.
    I would imagine I'll be the one cleaning the gun when we're done, but even then I don't want it to be a pain in the arse.

By the way that is one sexy Ruger you got there, I like it!
    There is an upgrade you can do to make the tear down and reassembly much easier on the mkII. But the more you do it the easier it will get for you.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    There is an upgrade you can do to make the tear down and reassembly much easier on the mkII. But the more you do it the easier it will get for you.
    That's a fact Jack.

First time is rough, getting that hammer strut to drop into place takes patience. But in short time you get the feel for it and can hear the tiny "clink" as it finds it's spot. I don't mind the minimal difficulty given the superior quality, ruggedness and gluttoness appetite for any ammo fed to the Ruger line. YouTube is chock full of videos explaining how the gun is striped. I can strip and reassemble either mine in under two minutes.

OP, I'm not saying this is THE gun to go for, there are others of fine quality such as the Buckmark. Just don't discount the Ruger based on the fact it's not the average breakdown.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Fulton County)

UPDATE!

Ok, headed out to the gunshow this morning with 1 goal, purchase a 22 pistol.
    I, as well as my son, got to handle a Walther, SR22, MkIII Ruger and a Sig.

The Ruger MkIII was a stainless target model much like the one in this thread, it was beautiful. I fell in love with it instantly. My son liked it but it was too heavy for him to hold comfortably.

The Walther felt good and he seemed to like that one, except it was the long barreled version. He wanted something shorter.

The Sig was ok, but I tried to steer him away from it just because of some of the reviews.

In the end, he chose the Ruger SR22, it fit him very well as it had two different width interchangeable grips. It also came with two mags and a soft case. We also picked up a little belt slide holster for it.

He shot 100 rounds through it when we got home, no problems at all, and that was using Remington Thunderbolts that are about 15 years old. We didn't even clean it 1st! Shoots just a little low, but with the wind blowing hard, we decided that we'll adjust the sights later.

When we finished, we took it apart and cleaned it. Take down is simple and quick, and just as easy to put back together.

Overall a great day! He loves the gun! I got to say, it is very similar to my SR9C , I can see myself wanting to shoot it too, for some inexpensive practice. If I'm allowed of course!

Thanks to all for the advice. In the end, it was his decision, and I think he'll be happy for rounds to come!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 60-15; January 31st, 2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: pic removal

Nevermind, I didn't read the post above. I think if a kid picks the gun it makes them more interested in shooting it. Good luck with your purchase.
    Last edited by Yoder; January 29th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345