Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Glock 19 Companion for convenience and SHTF

I've been looking into finding something compatible with my G19 for convenience and SHTF. I looked at the Keltec sub2000 and have also been considering another 9mm glock... not sure if G26 or G17 makes better sense. My initial thought is that the bigger guns may sit in the safe while the G26 can be carried, but the bigger guns have more utility. Any ideas and pros/cons?

Default Re: Glock 19 Companion for convenience and SHTF

Quote Originally Posted by rsiros View Post
    I've been looking into finding something compatible with my G19 for convenience and SHTF. I looked at the Keltec sub2000 and have also been considering another 9mm glock... not sure if G26 or G17 makes better sense. My initial thought is that the bigger guns may sit in the safe while the G26 can be carried, but the bigger guns have more utility. Any ideas and pros/cons?
    My SHTF guns are 2 G21's. Honestly, I wanted 2 HK 45's for that purpose, but I got the Glocks for the price of one HK, besides, I did get to finally invest in an HK USP Elite. With the rep of Glock, and the fact that it is a gun proven to function, no matter what, and no controls to worry about, it was my choice, especially in .45 ACP. May a more powerful caliber like a G23, or something? It is actually my favorite, overall Glock pistol.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    My SHTF guns are 2 G21's. Honestly, I wanted 2 HK 45's for that purpose, but I got the Glocks for the price of one HK, besides, I did get to finally invest in an HK USP Elite. With the rep of Glock, and the fact that it is a gun proven to function, no matter what, and no controls to worry about, it was my choice, especially in .45 ACP. May a more powerful caliber like a G23, or something? It is actually my favorite, overall Glock pistol.
    I like the 45's but ammo costs and availability swayed me. I wanted something everyone else had incase a need for trade ever comes up. If things get bad, 9mm should be easy to come by. With money being an issue, I'd like to stick to 9mm and .22lr. There is no arguing that 45 is a much better manstopper but it's just not practical for me. What are your thoughts on a 9mm companion gun?

(Bucks County)

I've been looking into finding something compatible with my G19 for convenience and SHTF.
    Do you already own a 19? It sounds like you do. There's definitely merits to owning a copy of the same model but I'd probably get a different model Glock.

Either a 17 for HD and training or, if you can't conceal the 19 with all clothing types, possibly a G26.

(Chester County)

I've always figured that a SHTF scenario changes the factors by which you'd choose a weapon. In particular, size ceases to matter as concealment becomes less of a priority than reliability, durability, and ballistic performance. That's my take on it anyway, and if that's the case then another pistol wouldn't necessarily be ideal.

If you want something that is compatible with the pistol ammo, I'd go with a 9mm carbine. They're still lightweight enough to comfortably carry long distances while packing more muzzle velocity and impact energy because of the longer barrel. If you want it fully compatible with the glock, then the Sub2000 will even accept the same magazines. Someone else would have to speak to the reliability of that platform as I've never owned one.

Personally I have a Hi-point 995TS specifically because it's cheap and easy to feed, outperforms its price point, and can be buried in sand and still function without any trouble. If you're only worried about it eating 9mm, then I'd highly recommend the hi-point carbine but if you want mag compatibility too then the sub2000 sounds like your ticket. If the SHTF, are you really going to want to be carrying another sidearm, or wouldn't you rather have a carbine?
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

(Bucks County)

If you have the 19 then you need to get the 17, 26, and sub 2000. Then you'll be set. Also some 33 rd mags!

(Cumberland County)

I have a G19 and G30SF. One will replace the other if something happens to one of them. I carry them both off and on.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cake0110 View Post
    I've always figured that a SHTF scenario changes the factors by which you'd choose a weapon. In particular, size ceases to matter as concealment becomes less of a priority than reliability, durability, and ballistic performance. That's my take on it anyway, and if that's the case then another pistol wouldn't necessarily be ideal.

If you want something that is compatible with the pistol ammo, I'd go with a 9mm carbine. They're still lightweight enough to comfortably carry long distances while packing more muzzle velocity and impact energy because of the longer barrel. If you want it fully compatible with the glock, then the Sub2000 will even accept the same magazines. Someone else would have to speak to the reliability of that platform as I've never owned one.

Personally I have a Hi-point 995TS specifically because it's cheap and easy to feed, outperforms its price point, and can be buried in sand and still function without any trouble. If you're only worried about it eating 9mm, then I'd highly recommend the hi-point carbine but if you want mag compatibility too then the sub2000 sounds like your ticket. If the SHTF, are you really going to want to be carrying another sidearm, or wouldn't you rather have a carbine?
    I appreciate your line of thinking here and that's why I'm thinking of the sub2000. SHTF doesn't have a script and could develop in many different scenarios. In a worse case scenario, I agree. Toting the sub2000 with the G19 in a holster could be the best situation. In lesser scenarios where there's still some assemblance of order, concealed carry might be best. It's impossible to predict how SHTF might happen but finding a practical mix of weapons that can be used now and during SHTF is what my challenge is. I just worry about not using the sub2000 and having it sit.

(Lackawanna County)

all of the above are valid points....if you dont have a carbine of some sort (AR,AK,hipoint,sub2k etc.) then you should not look at any other pistols before you get one. A pistol is a back-up/emergency weapon......a carbine/rifle is a primary assault/defensive weapon. The only time you should be using your pistol during SHTF is when your fighting to get back to your carbine!

I like the 45's but ammo costs and availability swayed me. I wanted something everyone else had incase a need for trade ever comes up. If things get bad, 9mm should be easy to come by. With money being an issue, I'd like to stick to 9mm and .22lr. There is no arguing that 45 is a much better manstopper but it's just not practical for me. What are your thoughts on a 9mm companion gun?
    I'm no ammo expert (not in man stopping power, anyway), but 9mm has been getting it done for a long time. There are factory loads combined with HP bullets that expand evenly without fragmenting that will put a hurting on someone. My main reason for .45 ACP is it is more consistant in 50 yd slow fire if it is breezy or raining. All of my plate pistols are Taurus 9mm's. I would be happy to use one on a bad guy if he gave me the opportunity.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast