Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Glock 19 Companion for convenience and SHTF

Guns that I know I will use a lot, I usually buy in pairs. Maybe consider getting the exact same gun. This may sound a little retarded, but nothing feels quite as good as holding the exact same gun in each hand, and if you practice shooting left and right handed, then all the better.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Guns that I know I will use a lot, I usually buy in pairs. Maybe consider getting the exact same gun. This may sound a little retarded, but nothing feels quite as good as holding the exact same gun in each hand, and if you practice shooting left and right handed, then all the better.
    Hmmm... That's another possibility. If a good deal on one comes up, I might have to give that some serious thought. What are some of the thoughts on having the carbine? In SHTF, I'm thinking of using it as a home defense and hunting weapon. It might not be wise to be seen walking about with that on a sling (snipers, you could be seen as a threat, etc.). Other thoughts/benefits/negatives?

(Montgomery County)

My SHTF scenario doesn't account for snipers, personally.

If you want the best versatility, I would go w/ that KelTec 9mm carbine that uses Glock mags & folds in half. You could stash it in your backpack.

But I don't think your G19 mags would fit (too short, IIRC).

You would need G17 mags, and of course a couple 33 rounders.

You would at least have good interchangeability, and stay w/ one caliber.

OMO, of course...

Regards,

Bones

I don't know a lot about the Kel Tec as my would be fighting carbine is a standard AR 15 with .223 HP's. There is no mistaking a .223 HP when it hits the flesh of a bad guy. If the Kel Tec reviews show it is reliable, then why not. It would give you a greater range to shoot the 9mm, and as Joey Bones said, you could get the Glock fed one and have a butt load of Glock mags full of 9mm, but I believe the mags have to fit the G17. It is a heck of a good price, as well, as long as it is reliable. A broken carbine or an unreliable carbine is no better than a ball bat and it will get you all the way to the grave sight (yours) if the SDHTF.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    My SHTF scenario doesn't account for snipers, personally.

If you want the best versatility, I would go w/ that KelTec 9mm carbine that uses Glock mags & folds in half. You could stash it in your backpack.

But I don't think your G19 mags would fit (too short, IIRC).

You would need G17 mags, and of course a couple 33 rounders.

You would at least have good interchangeability, and stay w/ one caliber.

OMO, of course...

Regards,

Bones
    They make a G19 version of the sub2000 that I'd get (a LGS has 1 in stock). No snipers? If things are bad and people band together in small groups or communities, do you think they'll have lookouts/snipers to protect against potential threats? I don't know. If I found it necessary to travel and communicate with others, I'd want to come off as friendly. Flipside being, if you're not visually armed, you might get jumped. Let's just hope we don't have to live it.

Quote Originally Posted by rsiros View Post
    They make a G19 version of the sub2000 that I'd get (a LGS has 1 in stock).
    Well then, your problem (or your question) may be solved, but only if the Kel Tec is reliable. JMHO

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Well then, your problem (or your question) may be solved, but only if the Kel Tec is reliable. JMHO
    From my research, it seems pretty reliable. I'd like to find one used to avoid being on the books. Not too easy to come by used so I'm seriously thinking about the one at the LGS. Those 17 and 26 Glocks are still calling my name though. It'll probably be a matter of what I can find in the classifieds here.

(Lackawanna County)

if your worried about snipers....its probably too late lol, a good marksman will pick you off long before you realize where he is.....also, if buying glock mags for a true SHTF scenario, buy full size glock 17 mags for the extra capacity and the 33rnds for the same reason. They will work in all glock 9mm's and the kel tec. Keep the standard 15 rnds mags for your EDC.

(Clarion County)

I went with the G-36,not quite compatible with the 9mm but very compact and effective.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rsiros View Post
    I just worry about not using the sub2000 and having it sit.
    If you go to the range at any sort of regularity, I wouldn't worry about the carbine not being used. I shoot as many rounds through my carbine as I do through all my other guns combined. (Other guns include 3 9mm handguns as well as some rifles and shotguns) The fact is that the carbine is so much fun to shoot that even when I go to the range and commit myself to putting 200 rounds through my Glock 19, I find myself making trips to the ammo counter so I can still get my carbine fix.
    The Army was the biggest mistake I've ever been proud to make.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast