Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default New to the site - looking for advice on first semi-auto pistol

I'm new to the site but I'm not new to shooting. I started before I could read when my dad would hold, aim, and pump the .22 rifle while I pulled the trigger. Over the years it was mostly hunting with shotguns for small game and rifles for groundhogs in PA Dutch Country. Groundhog hunting was always my favorite. I felt like a sniper. Best shot I ever made was 600 yards, one shot. Though my dad would go over 800 like it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, I haven't been into shooting for some time now and I'm starting to get back into it since some family members have recently purchased Beretta Px4's and started going to a local indoor range. So I figure it's time for me to get an automatic and go with them. I'd shot revolvers plenty of times before but my first experience with an auto was a couple weeks ago when I shot the Px4. I liked it and it is an attractive package for the price but I like to research before rushing into a purchase. I've come up with several possible choices. Any input you can give me on the choices or anything else would be helpful.

My basic criteria are 9mm, full size, mainly for range use, no preference between polymer or metal, I think I'd prefer SA/DA or SAO instead of DAO, and I'm trying to stay under $600. My choices are:

-Beretta 92A1 - Probably my favorite design. I'm told I can get it for $570 at a local shop. I'd like to know if anyone has any opinion on the Ninety-Two F as well.
    -Beretta Px4 - I'm told I can get this for $500 at the same shop.
    -Bersa Thunder Pro HC (or the polymer version)
    -CZ-75B - preferably with decocker, duotone finish looks nice, wish it had a rail though
    -CZ-75 SP-01 Phantom
    -EAA Witness Steel - I'm really liking this gun the more reading I do though parts accessories might be hard find.
    -EAA Witness Elite Match - possibly more features than I need for my first auto.
    -SIG Sauer SP2022
    -Springfield XD or XD(M) - I know they're DAO which is why I'm least interested in these
    -Taurus 24/7 G2
    -Taurus PT809
    -Taurus PT92 - like that it's the same design as the Beretta but cheaper

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to the site - looking for advice on first semi-auto pistol

Everyone will have their own opinions, but I love the Ruger SR9. I bought the compact version for my EDC, and only have positive feedback on it. It may be worth a look and a rental at a local range. You can pick one up for about $400.

I recently went through the same consideration for my first gun and found the best way (for me at least) was to handle the guns and shoot them on a range. Once I did that I knew exactly which one I would buy.

(Monroe County)

WElCOME TO THE SIte, you are going to love it here.

I own all of the Guns you mentioned, except the px4 and Springfields, You cant go wrong with the Choices you mentioned.

Buy a Sig and be happy!

Or buy whatever you like I suppose, all of your choices would be good guns.
    Good luck and enjoy the PAFOA!

(Blair County)

With your very broad criteria and the vast number of handguns that fill it, I suggest going to a range that rents firearms and trying a lot of them. Your choice will mostly come down to what feels good to you. All of your listed guns are good choices.

Welcome to the site, opinions here will take you all over the place. Don't just read about a gun, try it before you buy. Things may not fit your hand like it does another shooter. You'll have a lot of people on this site tell you to get a Glock. Nice guns, but I don't like the way they feel and fit, so I have none. Of your list, I have shot the following:

-Beretta 92A1 - Very Good gun.
    -Beretta Px4 - Good gun.
    -Bersa Thunder Pro HC - OK gun, bottom of the list
    -CZ-75B - Very good gun
    -CZ-75 SP-01 Phantom - Very good gun
    -EAA Witness Steel - Very good gun.
    -EAA Witness Elite Match - Very good gun and may be more than you need.
    -SIG Sauer SP2022 - Good Gun
    -Taurus 24/7 G2 - Good Gun
    -Taurus PT92 - Very good gun

I would add any Ruger is worth looking at, the FNX-9 and something in a 1911 in 9MM.

Find what fits you best.

of those you listed, i would be more partial to the beretta 92, cz-75 (either) or the sig p2022.

i agree with WVbob in looking into rugers and checking out the FNX-9.
    also, the glock 17/19 might be worth looking into, they are in the price range you seem to have, and they are good guns.
    yeah, i am not from PA nor have i ever been to PA....still love reading this forum.

(Centre County)

Don't discount a used gun. A very good solid gun, good shooter, feels good in the hand (at least to me) is the S&W 5906. And, if you find one used it's probably not gonna cost you a whole lot, leaving you with plenty of money for a good holster and a lot of ammo. I have one and I love it. For me it's a natural pointer. A good while ago, when I thought I only needed one 9mm (young and dumb) I kept it over a Beretta 92, because of how well I shot it and how it felt in my hand.

Or, seeing your price and shooting criteria, I have a very lightly used Ruger P95 9mm I'm selling (well under your $600 limit). I just haven't put it in the classifieds yet. You can PM me if interested.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; January 19th, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

The PX4 would be a good choice, and an easy one, since you're already familiar with it. It appears to be the most successful polymer-frame DA/SA (plastic CZs, FNs, and Sigs have all had their issues). Personally, I don't like slide-mounted safeties, so I'd lean toward the PX4 G (decocker only) model.

CZs are highly regarded, but I think the one you really want to consider is the all metal SP-01 (not the plastic Phantom), or the compact P01.

(Northampton County)

I've had significant range time with the 92A1, 75B, SP-01, Witness Steel, XDM, 24/7, and PT92 . . . my choice of those would be the 92A1. Two blanket comments for all of these guns is that they're all very reliable in my experience, but only combat accurate. I would recommend you also consider the Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar. My Cougar would out-shoot all of these guns every time out, and it was pretty cheap. If you're not opposed to saving for a bit more, I would take a hard look at the Sig 226 and 229. I can shoot both of them faster and more accurately than anything listed above.

Cougar:
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...ger-cougar.php

Used 229R's for cheap:
    http://www.summitgunbroker.com/226R.html

If you decide to go polymer, I think the Smith and Wesson M&P series is head and shoulders above the rest:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/15...r-m-p-9mm.html

(CDNN is currently selling the full size 9mm models for $425)
    Last edited by BionicMan; January 19th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast