Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Survival/End of world gun

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    I guess it depends on what you feel the end of the world will be like. .

Ever see the movie "The Road"?

One gun, and one gun only??

For a rifle I would have to pick a bolt action, probably in 30-06 (probably have an easier time scrounging for ammo in the caliber).

For a handgun Id choose a 357 magnum revolver, probably a Ruger. Im not a Ruger fan ( i think most of their guns a but ugly), but they are built to take alot of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post

In .308 , Your best choice will be a FAL, the PTR 91 is great but expect to pay about $1200 minimum.
    You'll be spending at least that for an FN FAL of equal quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Sants View Post
    My buddy and I were talking the other day about the best survival gun. We were talking about .223 v .308.

He has a really slick ar. I have always liked ar's but a have a thing for .308's.
    Growing up my dad had a nice collection of Ar's but my favorite was his HK 91. The 91 is way out of my price. I found a few but they are going for $2500 plus and not in the best condition.

I have about 400 rounds of 223 and about 200 of 308 sitting around from my dad. I want a nice semi auto tactical in either caliber but can only get one for now.

I know there is an extreme difference between the the two. I have explored a lot of options in the 223 camp but am not sure where to look for the 308.

What do you guys recommend?
    456 - One of the things to consider is what will be the popular ammo at that time being light and easy to carry will be important. Also the most popular ammo would mean that its easy to share your way or there way. I'm gambling that .223/5.56 will be more popular then .308 right now I'm sitting on about 5000 rounds of 5.56/.223 and only about 1000 rounds of .308 and 1000 30-06. Another round that I predict to be aboundant will be the 7.62x39 for the SKS and Aks I have about 3500 rounds of that. No matter how powerful a round if there are no more rounds for the rifle or gun its just a club. Unless you can reload for it. When the sh%^ hit the fam either you are prepare or you are caught with your pants around your ankles.
    Last edited by Neko456; January 19th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

i feel ammo wise, you might want to look at the people around where you will be bugging out...for instance, i live around a lot of hunters that use primarily 30-06 and 243, so a rifle in either of those calibres would be fantastic...its more realistic that i will run into a hunter packing 150 30-06 rounds, then run into some prepper with 1000 556 rounds.
    sure, doesnt mean you cant stock up on assloads of ammo yourself, but what if you have to leave?
    yeah, i am not from PA nor have i ever been to PA....still love reading this forum.

Default End of world gun

Besides, she wouldn't recognize him w/o his smoky-the-bear hat on, wearing a digicam beanie.
    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    My wife is happy if she's allowed to wear shoes sometimes...
    "1"starts the Militia; you are not alone but fight as though you are.

Quote Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post
    i feel ammo wise, you might want to look at the people around where you will be bugging out...for instance, i live around a lot of hunters that use primarily 30-06 and 243, so a rifle in either of those calibres would be fantastic...its more realistic that i will run into a hunter packing 150 30-06 rounds, then run into some prepper with 1000 556 rounds.
    sure, doesnt mean you cant stock up on assloads of ammo yourself, but what if you have to leave?
    456 - What hunter do you know that carries 20-150 .308 or 06 rounds most only carry 5 or 10 rounds most game has a limit. Even in the worst of situation most 06 users will only have 50 rounds in area that 300 rounds of .223 can be stored in. Most hunters won't be using there hunting rifles during a bug out there a purpose for every tool, the hunting rifle will be used for hunting and long range exteriminations. Most informed hunters or citizens like myself will have ARs or Aks for anti personal or worst case scenarios. Rather then look at what the hunters are carrying ask what are there plans for worst case situation. We have people who specialize in sniping,shelter, Transportation, food/water/cooking/supplies, medics, various type security, infantry and recon teams. Ask around and test to see what you might be good at, there is strength in numbers. Carry what they carry or what you specialize in.

Quote Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post
    i feel ammo wise, you might want to look at the people around where you will be bugging out...for instance, i live around a lot of hunters that use primarily 30-06 and 243, so a rifle in either of those calibers would be fantastic...its more realistic that i will run into a hunter packing 150 30-06 rounds, then run into some prepper with 1000 556 rounds.
    sure, doesn't mean you cant stock up on ass-loads of ammo yourself, but what if you have to leave?
    I'd think for you, being so close to NAS JAX and Camp Blanding, 5.56 and 7.62x51 would be the way to go for you as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    456 - What hunter do you know that carries 20-150 .308 or 06 rounds most only carry 5 or 10 rounds most game has a limit. Even in the worst of situation most 06 users will only have 50 rounds in area that 300 rounds of .223 can be stored in. Most hunters won't be using there hunting rifles during a bug out there a purpose for every tool, the hunting rifle will be used for hunting and long range exteriminations. Most informed hunters or citizens like myself will have ARs or Aks for anti personal or worst case scenarios. Rather then look at what the hunters are carrying ask what are there plans for worst case situation. We have people who specialize in sniping,shelter, Transportation, food/water/cooking/supplies, medics, various type security, infantry and recon teams. Ask around and test to see what you might be good at, there is strength in numbers. Carry what they carry or what you specialize in.
    I wasnt talking about carrying while hunting, but the most realistic possible amount they could have in a SHTF scenario. Again, I was simply talking about my area, implying that you would need to learn about the people where you are….prepping isn’t really looked upon where I am as a “real need” most people tend to ignore it as fantasy so the hunters i have discussed guns with around where I live tend to have a couple rifles and about 100 or so rounds on hand….maybe 1 in 10 will have an ar or ak of some variant as most of the hunters aren’t gun guys, they just hunt. Yeah, it would be cool to have a network of preppers in my area, but its hard finding serious people of that mindset in north florida….most people have some stuff set aside for hurricanes, but nothing past that.

@animal.
    Yeah, that is true, and I for one am relying on an AR as my bug out weapon to carry, so that is good point ammo wise…but I live north of jax in a rural area so I doubt I would be running into large sums of 556 or 762x51 if I stayed in my neighborhood seeing as how there isn’t any real strategic gain for the military.
    yeah, i am not from PA nor have i ever been to PA....still love reading this forum.

(Berks County)

This is the gun I want the personal laser gun of Stewart Gilligan Griffin.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast