Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default 4" barrel wheel gun for ccw

I am interested in buying a Colt MK III 4" sometime in the near future, at that point it would probably become a piece I would carry somewhat regularly. Does anyone here carry something like the 4" mk III, and if you do, how is it with concealed carry?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 4" barrel wheel gun for ccw

I know folks who conceal 4" S&W N-frames, which are larger than the Mk III's from Colt. They don't have a problem. But of course, concealment issues are usually with your attire for most handguns. There is a bit about one's body shape too that will play a part.

So, what is your body shape(skinny, plump, obese) How loose does your clothing fit you, mostly your shirts and jackets(not too many folks carry a midsized or larger revolver in a Inside Waist Band arrangement)?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

well, in my opinion i would say im "muscular," but the doctor might say im a bit on the heavy side, I buy all my pants a size or two bigger just for carry, and i usually buy tall tee shirts cuz i always have a problem with them shrinking up on me. lol So, you think i should be alright with this attire?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybusiness View Post
    well, in my opinion i would say im "muscular," but the doctor might say im a bit on the heavy side, I buy all my pants a size or two bigger just for carry, and i usually buy tall tee shirts cuz i always have a problem with them shrinking up on me. lol So, you think i should be alright with this attire?
    You should if you make sure the t-shirts are loose too if concealment is a concern.

I'm 5'-9" to 5'-10" at 170lb summer weight to 185lb winter weight. I can conceal a 3" K-frame under a men's large t-shirt with ease. If a t-shirt shrinks up a bit from the dryer I'll put it on and stretch out with my hands if I'm in a situation where concealment is ideal(typically I open/casual carry).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Venango County)

Wheel guns tend to be thicker as well.

I am heavy set but get in shape once in a while.

I use loose fitting shirts, mostly 'Hawaii' style with my Ruger Security Six, .357. I forget the barrel length off-hand but it is bigger than 4". I also sometimes carry a S&W 4" .38.

In both cases, when carrying as primaries, I use cross drawing vertical holsters. Verticals make it easier to pull from sitting down, especially while in a car. The size of the guns are not good for close quarters such as within the car itself, I have a mouse BUG for that (which I don't always carry and is sometimes my primary as it fits in a shirt pocket). Another advantage of the vertical shoulder holster is dropping your pants to use a toilet. You don't have to take the weapon off body.

That's how I do large frame revolvers.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

Dress around your gun.

I have a Ruger Security Six 357 4" barrel that I sometimes carry IWB. I have a Blade Tech IWB holster. Get a good belt and you can carry all day.