Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Painting Polymer Framed Guns?

Kind of a long story but here goes. I have a sister who about 8 months ago had a horrible work accident. She worked for a factory and got her right arm sucked into a giant machine (she is right handed). Needless to say shes lucky to still have her arm/ life. It basically took her forearm and made it an acute angle instead of stright. She is still healing today. Months of physical therepy and 2 surgeries later she is doing better. Due to the fact that a good few months went by without the possiblilty of using her right arm, her right shoulder also has become injured possibly requiring another surgery.

She lives in a rough area and has always been comftroble with defending herself/ home with her hands. Shes about 5'2 110lbs and can put me (6'1 200 lbs) on my ass in a heart beat. Well she could. Thoughout the past few years I have been trying to convince her to get a gun. Shes not anti but is just one of those "what do you need a gun for types?" Well she is finally more than convinced that a gun would be in her best interest. Too much time at home reading the news, too much time with me lol, and the realization that she probably wont be able to beat the shit out of any thing with a penis any more.

I want to take her out to the range in a few months when shes a little bit better and get her a gun. I'm one of those who can't leave a gun stock and loves to customize. I have never painted a gun but don't think the task is beyond my abilities. She demands a pink gun lol. I am pretty sure its going to be a glock 19 depending if the 9mm is not too much to handle on her arm. How would I go about painting the frame pink? I am thinking duracoat, but the fact that its black concerns me that it will eventually wear off from shooting it (heat, friction, etc) and may be darker shaded than "hot pink".

I have heard of an epoxy from brownelles that may be better suited for the color appearence and durability, but cannot find it. I'm thinking some sort of epoxy will be better suited for the job, but hopefully someone with experience painting polymer will be able to chime in and give good advice. Thank you.

Chris

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Painting Polymer Framed Guns?

IMHO, I'd worry that a pink coating wouldn't be durable. It might be OK for a safe queen, but even a little holster wear through the pink paint would look like hell. How about a pink Hogue grip? It would certainly be durable, and it wouldn't hurt the resale value of the gun.

Also, if she had to draw the gun, her hands would be covering the pink grip. I'm wondering if a BG would be more intimidated by a black gun than a pink one?

(Berks County)

Contact troy dando at custom gun finishes and he'll duracoat it 570-277-6420 I'm having a gun done with him and his work is impressive , will post pics when I recive mine back.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
    Kind of a long story but here goes. I have a sister who about 8 months ago had a horrible work accident. She worked for a factory and got her right arm sucked into a giant machine (she is right handed). Needless to say shes lucky to still have her arm/ life. It basically took her forearm and made it an acute angle instead of stright. She is still healing today. Months of physical therepy and 2 surgeries later she is doing better. Due to the fact that a good few months went by without the possiblilty of using her right arm, her right shoulder also has become injured possibly requiring another surgery.

She lives in a rough area and has always been comftroble with defending herself/ home with her hands. Shes about 5'2 110lbs and can put me (6'1 200 lbs) on my ass in a heart beat. Well she could. Thoughout the past few years I have been trying to convince her to get a gun. Shes not anti but is just one of those "what do you need a gun for types?" Well she is finally more than convinced that a gun would be in her best interest. Too much time at home reading the news, too much time with me lol, and the realization that she probably wont be able to beat the shit out of any thing with a penis any more.

I want to take her out to the range in a few months when shes a little bit better and get her a gun. I'm one of those who can't leave a gun stock and loves to customize. I have never painted a gun but don't think the task is beyond my abilities. She demands a pink gun lol. I am pretty sure its going to be a glock 19 depending if the 9mm is not too much to handle on her arm. How would I go about painting the frame pink? I am thinking duracoat, but the fact that its black concerns me that it will eventually wear off from shooting it (heat, friction, etc) and may be darker shaded than "hot pink".

I have heard of an epoxy from brownelles that may be better suited for the color appearence and durability, but cannot find it. I'm thinking some sort of epoxy will be better suited for the job, but hopefully someone with experience painting polymer will be able to chime in and give good advice. Thank you.

Chris
    You don't want to paint it , have it duracoated because it will strenghten the polymer and once it bonds and cures it on for good , don't do it your self because it will look like a home tattoo , like you did it yourself.

From what I've heard duracoat is pretty darn durable. Obviously it WILL wear off eventually with heavy use but I don't think you'll find anything that doesn't. How well you prepare the item makes a HUGE difference also.

(Northampton County)

Duracoat,gunkote and cerakote are all very durable,cerakote being the best,with that said Duracoat has a wider selection of colors that appeal to the ladies. Poly frame guns can be be coated and lightly baked to speed curing. always bake at low temp and for no more than an hour- 150 Degrees F or less. It can be done at home if your handy, preparation of the poly parts is key for adhesion. I lightly media blast the frames with 120 grit aluminum oxide - lighlty. Of course pistol was degreased and disassembled before blasting. and degreased after blasting - degrease with gun scrubber poly safe degreaser. Hang parts on racks and spray-lightly bake and reassemble. colors _Bronx Rose looks better than pepto pink -also Brooklyn blue, Lime green Bright red Purple godess and a corvette yellow to choose from as well as metallic colors, can be cleared with gloss or satin clear. A lot of the above colors require a white base so extra materials are involved. Brian EFR-have fun with your project for your sister,if you need any advise call me at 610-252-5334 or email me.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
    She demands a pink gun lol. Chris
    Nothing wrong with pink. Well, it is a girl, so...

Kicking aside, you can paint a gun if you can paint a chair or bicycle. Krylon works well on polymer (some enamels do not stick to polymer, well). They have hot pink. You will need to use a light grey primer (also Krylon) to get the full color from the pink. You only put enough primer on to cover the black; you do not build it up as if you were going to wet sand it before painting. Same way with the pink. A few light coats and that is it. If you get a run, you can use a standard paint remover and start over. Paint remover does not hurt the polymer, and it dissolves the paint rather quickly. A stiff tooth brush and soap and water clean up. Paint remover also does not hurt the Glock anti corrosion finish on the slide, either. Once a Krylon finish is cured, it will withstand all but the nastiest solvents and abrasions. If you ever decide to sell the pistol, simply remove the paint via the paint remover.

This method works and it works well. It is cheap and if you put it on correctly, it will last for a long time. I only mention this method because it is much easier to remove if you ever want to redo it. Youtube has a few videos on detail stripping a Glock for when you get ready to do the deed.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Duracoat is crap...it's Sherman Williams relabeled. And whoever said that Duracoat is going to strengthen the polymer is making up stories.

The big plus for Duracoat is that they offer tons of color options and there is no baking involved.

If it was my money, I'd recommend getting KG Gunkote/Norrell's air cured or Cerakote air cured finishes.

I wouldn't mind paintinmg a couple of my Glock desert camo or green Camo. They charge extra for the Glocks, Sigs, M&P and XDm with a little color added. But if I could find a paint coating that wouldn't harm the tenifer finish
    I'd go for it. So this is thread of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I wouldn't mind paintinmg a couple of my Glock desert camo or green Camo. They charge extra for the Glocks, Sigs, M&P and XDm with a little color added. But if I could find a paint coating that wouldn't harm the tenifer finish
    I'd go for it. So this is thread of interest.
    The paint doesn't hurt the tennifer, nor does the paint remover, in the event you want to put it back to original. The scuffing you need to do to get the stuff to stick well is what does it, and on the glock finish, all it will do is dull it a little (the scuffing).

Another poster said Duracote is crap, but on the contrary, if the gun is prepped, correctly, it works really well. Duracote can also be removed.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast