Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Best choice type for Wife Home Defense

Talking to some folks and reading much of what is out there, the "conventional" wisdom for what type of home defense handgun is: Get a revolver. When I ask why? they answer "You want something you can just point and pull the trigger"

This brings up the question. Isn't this based on "old" technology from the fact that many semi-automatics were not entirely reliable when pulling the trigger?

I shot my daughter's S&W revolver and found it hard to handle. The double action trigger is a very long draw and the cylinder rotates, both of which change the attitude of the gun and make it hard to aim well. Because it is a revolver with no parts that move back, the recoil is large.

Because some of the newer semi-automatics are extremely reliable (no misfires) but also easier to handle (less recoil) please give me your opinions on a semi-automatic as a woman's home defense choice.

Thanks,

(Centre County)

Default Re: Best choice type for Wife Home Defense

my wife would not shoot wheel gun. she thinks its ugry, old looking, and don't look good in her purse.

But semiauto was difficult for her to operate, because of her seak hand strength due to GBS from 5 years ago.

She tried many, but ended up having same probrem. can't rack the slide, and limp wrist, which was a probrem, because Limp wrist is one of leading cause of SemiAuto jamming(stovepipe), and since she couldn't rack slide of many fast enough, she couldn't clear the jam!

I tried to explain to her that Wheel gun would be a great choice, because of her hand strength, but she wouldn't lsiten.

I then got a 1911 in 9mm as sort of practice gun for my .4 1911. She shot it, and she liked it. Not to waste an open invitation to buy another gun, I went ahead and got a RIA 1911 tactical in 9mm for her to try, and suddenly she found her self a gun she can operate/shoot even with her weak hand.

Gun is heavy enough that 9mm feels like shooting 22LR(well, not quite, but you get the idea), Due to MUCh weaker recoil spring, she can rack the slide without any probrem, and generally skinnier 1911 frame would accomdate her small hand well(i did replace the ugry long trigger it came with short Solid trigger from fusion tho).
    And because gun is much more easier to shoot, she would actually go and practice with it more often then when she had other gun that was harder for her to shoot.
    Its not a tack driver. Its accurate enough(i can get a 3" group at 10yd rapid fire), but for her, its more like she can put all 10 rounds on A4 sized paper at 10yd. That is, IMO, good enough for her to defend her self with.

Did I mention RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm was $400 NIB?
    Last edited by Mity2; January 16th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Carbon County)

i hate to even answer thes posts because you will see a million different answers. you said for your wife at home for defense. if she never shot before then get the revolver, point and shoot. the trigger is long on purpose, so you dont accidentaly pull it when you dont mean to...trust me, if some guy is busting through your door, you wont notice trigger pull or recoil. keep it simple and more reliable for a new shooter. another option...simple, is a double barrel 20ga shot gun. no pump to worry about...reliable, pull the trigger and shoot.

(Bucks County)

I really like the long trigger pulls. I mean, its more fun with a short one at the range....but for home safety (and especially for personal carry, which I know is off topic in this thread) I really like the safety of the long pull. I like the idea that a gun has to be shot on purpose, not just on accident if you happen to fumble with it or accidentally touch the trigger before you're ready (which practice helps you not do).

But that's just me.

It depends on the strength of your wife's hand and what she is comfortable with...can you guys go to a range where they rent pistols and revolvers and have her try a few out? I think the heavier, full sized guns (as opposed to compact) are easier to shoot because they absorb some recoil...but I'm going to be carrying so I chose some lighter, smaller guns and I just have to practice more with them.

Whatever kind you pick, she'll want to go to the range with them. I mean, we have had a loaded gun in the house for years but I wasn't confident enough to use it until I actually started working with my own gun at the range. (Still working on confidence but I've improved a lot!)

I have never shot a revolver but I want to....we are going to use our carry weapons for our home defense for awhile and then save up to get a home defense, haven't decided which type yet, whether semi-auto or revolver.
    Last edited by cakeshooter; January 16th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Bucks County)

I always recommend a revolver for a house gun, you can put it in the drawer and 5 years later it fire all 6 rounds, no limp wrist, no weak spring to contend with. pure reliability.

with semi's the spring can get week over time and a host of other things, I carry a semi-auto and if i'm going to buy another gun , it will be another semi.But my wife knows where the house gun is, and it's a revolver.

just get your wife trained with the gun,and she'll be able to take care of herself. as far as the long trigger put, with the adrenalin pumping she won't even notice. just sign her up for some training

If your wife goes to the range with you every time, then that's a different story.

that's my thoughts on the question !
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Lawrence County)

Take her gun shopping! She will tell you want she likes/doesn't better than a bunch of dudes (maybe an occasional lady) on a gun board. Lead her towards a decent self defense caliber weapon, go to a rental range, shoot a bunch, then purchase.

For instance, I thought my wife would love a certain gun for sure, and I almost bought it. Then for S&Gs I take her to Nesbitt guns near my home here, and she found that she likes the Lady Smith, and I never considered that model for her.

I repeat: Take her gun shopping!!

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Best choice type for Wife Home Defense

there are as many different answers to this question as there are women. does she shoot with any regularity now? if so what caliber and type(action) of gun. how is her hand strength? does she have the tendency to limp wrist? will she take the time to learn the operation of a weapon and how to clear it during it,s use? is she going to practice with any regularity? this is the tip of the iceberg imo. only you know her with this type of familiarity. revolver, auto, shotgun these are all good choices depending on the variables and the individual involved. i know this does not answer your question but maybe it will at least be a primer for the questions you need to ask. good luck with your final decision. and do not forget to listen to her, her dislikes and likes are important as she knows herself better than anyone else ever will.

(Clarion County)

After some experimenting my wife settled on a 20 ga. shotgun. Remington 1100 youth model that I added a softer recoil pad to. Regular practice and maintenance afterwards keeps my mind at ease. Out of all the other firearms she's been exposed to it is the one she genuinely enjoys to shoot. Should be noted our situation is in a very rural area.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Butler County)

I hate revolvers. I think they sting my hand too much. The first one I shot, I almost dropped because it hurt so much.

Not a good SD gun if you drop after one shot.

I had problems with racking also. I tried out several and decided on the Kahr CW9. They spring was changed off to a reduced spring and I have no trouble with it.

She has to fondle her own guns. What feels right in your hand will not feel comfortable in hers.

Not sure where you are located but if you could make it to the group shoot in April, that will be a good place to start. Lots of different types of guns for her to play with.

(Allegheny County)

Another females opinion:
    As a new shooter, I was recommended by an instructor at Fire Institute for my 1st gun which would also be a carry gun as well as home defense - a S&W revolver 357 model 60 stainless 3" barrel revolver. I ended up buying this gun and with nothing to compare to, I found it was beastly even in 38sp but shot it and shot it some more. I have one with a hammer so i can shoot it with a short trigger pull at the range although i will shoot some double action also.

I ended up buying the same gun with a shorter barrel 2 1/8" for carry as it sat better on me. Not as good sight pic but pretty much similar in the way it shoots. Plus a S&W 5" barrel Model 63 22lr in same jframe revolver for cheaper, kinder on the hands practice.

Yes it is simple and I like that for a stress situation.

I do prefer semi autos to shoot at the range though. Racking slides is a very important consideration as well as enough practice (tons...) to learn how to clear the action on a semi if/when you have a malfunction. Many small guns are more difficult to rack the slide on with the smaller tight springs. Grip size was an issue for my small hands and ended up with a S&W M&P9mm which has adjustable grips for it. Semis are definitely a more pleasant gun to shoot so it is really a personal choice. Shooting some different guns is the best thing to do before buying.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast