Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Travel Question (PA to NY and NY to PA)

I recently purchased a revolver and a rifle in PA. My family lives in Western New York and I wanted to bring the new weapons with me when I go to visit. I know there are Federal laws for traveling with weapons, but I was wondering if anyone had experience specifically travelling with firearms to and from PA/NY. What kinds of things should I be aware of? I.E. Do I need to have the weapons secured and locked in the car? I don't plan on taking ammo, but would I have to check to make sure the ammo is legal in NY, and lock it up separately from the weapons?

Any references would be great. I'd like to research a lot before making the next trip!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Travel Question (PA to NY and NY to PA)

You cannot even touch a handgun in NY state without a NY permit. The few exemptions are strictly limited to competitive shooting at sanctioned events and hunting. DO NOT TAKE ANY HANDGUN TO NEW YORK STATE.

Federal law only protects you through a state. The firearm must be legal in the originating and destination states to be covered under federal law. And, since it is illegal to possess a handgun in NY without a NY permit, you have no protection.

The long guns aren't really an issue outside of New York City.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

You can take Knight0334's post 'to the bank' - its spot on!

Some threads for your perusal:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...692-ny-pa.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ly-report.html
    Last edited by tl_3237; January 15th, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
    IANAL

(Indiana County)

Cross the state line into New York from Pennsylvania with a handgun and, nine times out of ten, you're committing a felony. Up to fifteen years slam time. You don't read the news about tourists getting slammed while visiting New York?

Great info, thanks guys. I'll leave the handgun home! I did done additional research and found that the long firearms shouldn't be an issue. Everyone mentioned to have proof of ownership just in case.

I mentioned I probably wouldn't bring any ammo, but I recently picked up some old Russian surplus 22 lr that I was going to show/give to my dad/uncle. These are standard rounds, not hollow point. "Junior 22 Long Rifle" shells (steel cases, in the green colored box). I got them free and found that they're not very reliable and fire pretty dirty, but I thought the family might like to try a few rounds.

I can't seem to find much about transporting ammo across state lines outside of a vague mention of "explosive ordinances" and armor piercing ammo being illegal. Anyone have any experience hauling small amounts of ammo from PA to NY (not NYC)?

Ammo is fine as long as it's not in the gun obviously and it's not prohibited ammo (explosive, AP etc)