Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: CB Radio

(Berks County)

Default Re: CB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    You'd be surprised, they are here in this very forum and are the same ones who want to dissuade people from using Baofengs.
    People calling cops on neighbors in their own yard cause virus.

Crabs in a pot pull other crabs back in.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lebanon County)

You'd be surprised, they are here in this very forum and are the same ones who want to dissuade people from using Baofengs.
    There's a difference in dissuading people from using a tool and encouraging them to use them proper and legal. but then again you probably encourage people to carry their firearm without a license too, right? I mean who cares about the rules, according to you.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    There's a difference in dissuading people from using a tool and encouraging them to use them proper and legal. but then again you probably encourage people to carry their firearm without a license too, right? I mean who cares about the rules, according to you.
    Dang, I never called you out but if the shoe fits...
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyPullover View Post
    I finally hooked up my CB. I haven't got the antenna tuned perfect but 1 and 40 are under 2.0SWR according to the built in.

The PA works pretty good with the cheapo speaker I got off Amazon. So on a nice day like today I gotta ask is it illegal for me to yell at cyclists on the road through the speaker?
    Hey good looking I’ll be back to pick you up later. Lol. Remember?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Dang, I never called you out but if the shoe fits...
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

IMO using a $25 Baofeng for FRS use is harmless. It won't hurt anybody and it won't get anyone jailed.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    I have the typical FRS radios …… what would a baofeng do for me as compared to those … why not just use the ones I have?
    I don't know anything about this baofeng thing
    is that even a real word?
    Baofeng is a real brand of radio that's inexpensive but very useful, just takes a while to learn the interface. They can do a lot if you learn how to use them. I'm just starting off with it myself.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

CB was in its heyday in the 70s. Just like social media, people would break balls, agree to meet, and mutually engage in fist fights.
    East coast channel 19 trucker channel was full of nonsense tht just ruined the whole idea. Was on the west coast in 1983...truckers there used channel 17, and it wan't full of nonsense. Big difference.

Cheaters used linear amplifiers usually around 50 watts of power. Didn't do any good...if the guy you reach at 10 miles can't reach back to you.

Law regulates/limits output power to 4 watts. License was required, but so many said fuck that license the FCC gave up on that idea.

The SWR can be a little bit coming back if the antenna isn't quite tuned. You'll just lose a little output. Truth be told, topography has far more effect on range. The danger to the set is if the connection to the antenna is lost. Transmitting without an antenna to load will "blow the finals" (final RF amplifiers).

Todays highways are silent for long stretches. As stated, truckers don't even give bear reports on CB. I think they have switched over to the 10 or 11 meter band. CB is dead. Even so, my Yukon has one. Once in a while I turn it on checking for activity. You just never know when it just might come in handy.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Juniata County)

Given how easy it is to get a HAM license, and the fair greater utility, roughly same cost I’m surprised there wasn’t a strong advocacy for that over CB in this thread.

https://myoffroadradio.com/ham-radio-vs-cb/
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; April 14th, 2020 at 02:18 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    IMO using a $25 Baofeng for FRS use is harmless. It won't hurt anybody and it won't get anyone jailed.
    BS, this has already caused One business to be closed by the FCC (I've already provided you the link), has caused laws and regulations to be re-written because of people like you giving this advice, and MAY cause a very useful tool (low cost radio) from being imported, there is already discussion of this because of people like you flaunting the laws and not giving a crap about a situation you have 0 clues about.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast