Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default The Large US Companies That May Disappear In 2008

http://www.247wallst.com/2008/01/the-large-us-co.html

The Large US Companies That May Disappear In 2008

Firestone. American Motors. Texaco. Pan Am. Worldcom. At one point or another these large American companies were at the top of their industries. Pan Am was the leading global airline for decades. All are gone. Some were sold off. Others went bankrupt. Who could have predicted it?

There are several iconic US companies that may well not exist at the end of 2008. Some may not even make it halfway through the year. Not all will go out of business. Some may simply be auctioned off in pieces. Others may be bought. These companies will not exist in their current forms as they are known to their shareholders and consumers now.

When a company ceases to exist as an independent entity, it is not necessarily bad for shareholders. Some may be worth more in parts. Often a bust-up or merger is what brings owners the most money.

Here are the big ones that probably won't make it.

Motorola (MOT) was the No.2 handset maker in the world a little more than two years ago. Its Razr took the wireless industry by storm. It did not follow that product up with another winner and its larger rival, Nokia (NOK) began to take up market share. Smaller competitors Samsung and Sony Ericsson came out with popular phones and Motorola was under siege. Carl Icahn took a stake and tried to get the company to improve its pay-out or sell-off some of its divisions. The board sent him away. Since then things have gotten worse. Motorola's share price was over $25 in late 2006. It is now below $12. The company's handset business may well be bought by Samsung and its enterprise telecom and home set-top business to companies could be acquired by Cisco (CSCO) and Nortel (NT). A tech-oriented private equity firm might also buy the set-top box unit. As an independent company, MOT has no future.

Sears Holdings (SHLD) is billionaire Eddie Lampert's experiment at merging big retailers Sears and K-Mart. Unfortunately both were in bad shape at the outset. Putting them together did not help either business. The company has a 52-week high of $195 and now trades at $103. Sears has now reported a string of bad earnings. Last week reports began to appear that Lampert may spin-off the company's real estate and break the firm into several operating units, each of which would have more operating autonomy. The CEO has been pushed out in favor of a "temp". That sounds like the prelude to an auction.

Citigroup (C) is almost certainly not out of the woods. A recent report in the Financial Times said that US financial company write-offs for the entire sector could total $300 billion this year. Fortune magazine has written that Citi has another $37 billion in CDOs on its balance sheet. It also has LBO loans which it cannot syndicate because of poor credit markets. Shares of JP Morgan (JPM) and Bank of America (BAC) have recovered a good deal from their sell-offs. Citi has not. Wall St. is worried that the level of risk in owning the shares is just too great. A close look at the bank shows that it has some valuable businesses which operate independent of the troubled part of the company. Citi's wealth management operation grew 27% last quarter. This division includes Smith Barney. The firm's international consumer revenue rose 45%. It is Citi's securities and banking operations which is dragging the company down. With a recession and more financial company write-offs coming, Citi will have to get smaller by selling one or two of its valuable businesses. The global wealth management business had $3.5 billion in revenue in Q4 and $523 million in net income. Citi's market cap is only $140 billion now. Its consumer units could be worth more than that on their own.

Ford (F) is trading about where it did when there were rumors that the company would go bankrupt. This car company has a market cap of $13 billion against annual sales of $173 billion. Ford lost another $2.8 billion in Q4 and is planning to cut another 13,000 jobs. It has a credit unit which made $775 million last year. Ford is already in the process of selling some small units including Jaguar and Rover. Volvo might be next. The company's share of the US market is down to about 15%. Even with cost cuts, its product line works against a recovery. The firm's pick-ups and SUVs have good margins, but high fuel prices have cut into sales. Ford's new fuel-efficient cars compete directly with companies that have much stronger balance sheet like Toyota (TM) and Honda (HMC). Ford is highly unlikely to stage a unit sales recovery in North America this year. If sales fall further, cuts won't make up the difference forever. The Ford family, which has de facto control of the company, will have to look at selling the car operations to a large Asian or European auto company. That would allow for a consolidation of production, product development, R&D, and marketing. Bottom line--billions of dollars in annual savings.

Yahoo! (YHOO) won't make it through the first half as a standalone. There has been speculation that the company might be sold to Microsoft (MSFT) in the press for months. It may take an outside investor coming in and buying a large stake to push the board's hand. Recent analysis from Wall St. shows that about half of the company's $28 billion market cap comes from the value its stake in Yahoo! Japan and China e-commerce company Alibaba. That leaves $14 billion for the core portal and search business which has a revenue run rate of about $6.8 billion a year. This has to be attractive to companies like Microsoft and News Corp (NWS). Weak Q4 2007 earnings and a shaky forecast for 2008 has hurt the shares more. The company has said it will lay-off several hundred people.

AMD (AMD) is the second largest provider of chips and processors for servers and PC's. Its larger rival, Intel (INTC), has over three-quarters of the market. A price war has hurt AMD's gross margins badly. The firm also bought graphic chip company ATI and now has over $5 billion in debt. Shares were over $40 less than two years ago and now trade at a little over $7. For AMD to hope to compete, it needs a larger owner with a wider global chip business and better balance sheet. Intel has close to $13 billion in cash and short-term investments and 20% operating income margins on nearly $40 billion in revenue. Where would AMD fit? Somewhere with chip R&D expertise, a broad line of semiconductors, and a mammoth global customer base. Look for Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM) or Samsung to court AMD's board.

Sprint (S) should never have merged with NexTel, but it is a little too late for that to be fixed now. It traded above $23 about a year ago and recently fell to close to $8. While AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ) post enviable wireless numbers, Sprint struggles to keep current subscribers. Sprint is cutting bodies but Wall St. has no confidence that fewer people and these modest savings will turn around the company. Its issues of being an independent wireless company with angry customers are simply too great. SK Telecom, a big Korean operator, has already come to Sprint with a proposed investment. The board did not listen. But, the company's shares were not at $10 then. SK may well be back. The other potential buyer often mentioned is Comcast (CMCSA). After years of beating on the big US phone companies, Comcast is now up against their fiber-to-the-home broadband and TV products. And, it is losing customers to them. What Comcast does not have is a wireless service to offer consumers and businesses as part of a "bundle" of services. At $6 or $7 Sprint could look very attractive.

Qwest (Q) is the last of the Baby Bells standing from the break-up of the old AT&T. It is the dominant phone company in 14 states. Its shares have fallen from a 52-week high of $10.45 to just below $6. Qwest has two problems which it cannot solve. The first is that it has no real wireless operations. That is what is driving the market valuation of rivals AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ). Qwest also does not have the balance sheet to upgrade all of its infrastructure to fiber like Verizon is doing. AT&T has started the fiber build-out process. There are rumors that it will get into the TV business by buying one of the satellite TV companies. Either way, Qwest does not have the balance sheet to run fiber across its service area. Qwest does have a very valuable customer and geographic base. Watch for Verizon to get in touch with Qwest's board. The larger company could use Qwest's customer base to push its wireless services in bundles. It could also build out fiber into Qwest's region if the return-on-investment for the current project is good.

Douglas A. McIntyre

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: The Large US Companies That May Disappear In 2008

Thats pretty scary when you come to think of it..

as far as Sears/Kmart, I very damn well hope to see them crash and burn. You simply do NOT put malware/spyware on your websites to track your customer's online habits. Burn baby! Burn!

As far as Ford... when was the last time they put out a quality product? They didn't come up with "Fix Or Repair Daily" for no reason. Go Honda Go!

and AMD is doing pretty well, or at least I was under the impression they were. They still put out some of the best videocards on the market, and also, if I'm not mistaken, they make the graphics powerhouse chipset on the PS3. And also I believe their processors are better than Intel's.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

I've predicted that K-Mart wont last through the year to my wife! I do like Sears, though. I have bought every TV I've ever owned at Sears. Good prices and good warranty!

I still miss some of the other biggies that have passed...Ames, Service Merchandise, Hills, Montgomery Wards. It's just a shame!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Thats pretty scary when you come to think of it..
    Why? Its natural for unprofitable corps should disappear.

So what?

Anybody having trouble buying a car with the loss of American Motors?
    Anybody swimming to Europe without Pan Am?
    etc.

The market will fill the gap and as long as consumers still want the products somebody will produce it better than these failed corps.

I say let them die if they can't get their act together.

Just read that Microsoft made an offer for Yahoo....

mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Lehigh County)

Not too far fetched with Microsoft. http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080201/microsoft_yahoo.html

(Berks County)

Not sure that the Yahoo! buyout would be approved by the regulators, they're already watching Microsoft very closely. Some of the others are a bit of a stretch, but anything is possible. We'll see what happens but...
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Why? Its natural for unprofitable corps should disappear.
    It's scary for those in the tech sector in this region, since MOT employs a few thousand people in the area.

(Lehigh County)

Some news on Motorola. Must not be doing too well.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7773655.story

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I've predicted that K-Mart wont last through the year to my wife! I do like Sears, though. I have bought every TV I've ever owned at Sears. Good prices and good warranty!

I still miss some of the other biggies that have passed...Ames, Service Merchandise, Hills, Montgomery Wards. It's just a shame!
    I miss Woolworth's. When I was living in Boston and they closed down, in many of the neighborhoods they were located in, they were the only store of that type around, and in many of those places no one has come in to fill the gap.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast