Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Ruger SR9 wear pattern question

Field stripped my Ruger SR9 the other day and noticed that I am getting some peening on the cam block only on one side. It is as if it is isolated to only one side if you drew a line down the center of the cam block. The gun has about 500 rounds through it and has been cleaned and oiled after each time at the range. Anyone else seeing this kind of wear pattern starting to develop on either their SR9 or SR9c?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ruger SR9 wear pattern question

Do you mind posting a pic of the issue?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    Do you mind posting a pic of the issue?
    I will try to get my macro settings on my camera tuned so that it picks it up in detail. I have trouble sometimes getting it to focus on shiny things in macro mode.

(Montgomery County)

I'll field strip my SR9C tonight to check. If you can get a pic that would be helpful though. Either way I'll see if I notice anything. I've heard of issues with the striker, do you have any of those?

(Philadelphia County)

IMG_5282.JPG

If you can see in this picture, the edge of the cam block is starting to round over on only one side. Also look at the top and you can see where it looks like there is some other distortion going on as well.

(Montgomery County)

I've got the same exact peening on my SR9C. I never noticed it until I just took a look right now. I have about 700 rounds through mine so far. Wonder if this is going to be a real issue.....?

(Westmoreland County)

i just took a look at my sr40 and it has the same kind of pattern starting. mine only has 30 round through it at this time. if you look at the bottom of the barrel at the mating surface you will notice a matching wear pattern. it looks to me like a parting line from rugers investment casting process that doesn't quite line up perfectly on both sides.as far as on the side i can't quite tell from the pic what your seeing.

(Monroe County)

Perfectly Normal, inside your barrel there is a series of swirls called lands and grooves better known as rifling , when a round is fired the rifling impart a certain amount spin to the bullet , this spin helps to stabilize the bullet as it flies along its trajectory.
    If the rifling in your barrel is of a right twist your gun will twist to the left and vice-versa, remember Newtons Law - to every action there is a equal and opposite reaction.

The twisting action of the barrel is what will cause your cam lug to wear on one side more than the other, Ruger Mini 14 is notorious for this.

All rifled guns twist during recoil , the amount of twist will depend on the weight of the gun and the twist rate of the gun.

Look on any slow motion video of a gun being fired and you will see that they all twist to some degree as opposed to a smooth bore shotgun, smoothbore shotguns do not twist because they have no rifling.

(Northumberland County)

My SR9 has the same thing, it seems normal to me. Its metal to metal rubbing together, long there is no chips or cracks should be fine.

(Monroe County)

Guys thats not peening by the way, its just the metal wearing due to the torque exerted by the twisting of the barrel during firing, i believe those rugers have a right hand twist so its befitting that the wear is on the left side.

Its a self defense gun so they are built a bit loose, nothing to worry about .

Peening is when you actually see flakes of metal actually coming off.

One suggestion, to slow down the wear use a good grease on the cam instead of oil, i use shooters choice , TW25 or Colt grease on all my Cams/links
    Last edited by mrnyman; January 13th, 2012 at 05:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast