Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Classic Lee Loader

Hi everyone

Well I am new t this sight but a long time shooter. Thanks to the rising ammo costs I am thinking about reloading. I would like to get a Classic Lee Loader for my 9mm Beretta. I know they are not very fast but I thought it would be a good, cheap,place to start. However I do have a few question. When I say the classic model i mean then reloader that you hit with a rubber hammer.

1. The rifle models only resize the neck. How about the 9mm, will it resize the whole case?

2. Will the kit includ a taper die to crimp the bullet?

3. Am i correct thinking you taper crimp a 9mm an roll crimp a .38 special?

4. Can i use this little kit to reload lead 9mm? I can get lead 9mm for about 29 dollars for 500 bullets.

5. Anyone recomend a low cost powder? I clean the guns after each shooting so i don't mind if it is dirty.

THanks for everyones help

Rob

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Classic Lee Loader

Quote Originally Posted by RJH245 View Post
    Hi everyone

Well I am new t this sight but a long time shooter. Thanks to the rising ammo costs I am thinking about reloading. I would like to get a Classic Lee Loader for my 9mm Beretta. I know they are not very fast but I thought it would be a good, cheap,place to start. However I do have a few question. When I say the classic model i mean then reloader that you hit with a rubber hammer.

1. The rifle models only resize the neck. How about the 9mm, will it resize the whole case?

2. Will the kit includ a taper die to crimp the bullet?

3. Am i correct thinking you taper crimp a 9mm an roll crimp a .38 special?

4. Can i use this little kit to reload lead 9mm? I can get lead 9mm for about 29 dollars for 500 bullets.

5. Anyone recomend a low cost powder? I clean the guns after each shooting so i don't mind if it is dirty.

THanks for everyones help

Rob
    1. Not quite true. You can get both for rifle, neck or full length. You should full length resize virgin brass or used brass being loaded for other rifles. ...only neck size brass from 1 gun for that 1 gun. As for the 9mm, yes - it should resize the full length. You may still need to trim to length though.

2. Depends on the die set. Some taper crimp, some use other forms

3. That is correct. a 9mm, and just about any other auto casing uses the mouth to headspace. Where as rimmed casings use the rim - so the mouth can be rolled for better hold

4. Yes, you can reload proetty much anything with it. ...well, short of some of the 3"+ long case rifle cartridges.

5. maybe someone else can help ya with that.. I dont load for brass slingers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

The type of powder depends on the bullet you choose. There are load charts for bullets that will tell you what powders can be used. Look for one that uses the least amount powder and that will give you the most loads per pound. But it may not be that accurate. For safety sake they tell you to use a powder that fills the case so you won't double charge.

The Lee Classic loader can be used but it might be difficult to use with a small casing such as the 9mm.

For pistol rounds an single stage press will be very slow. It is good to start there. I do not know you budget or anything like that but you would be better with a turret press kit from Lee such as
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...290&t=11082005
    it is only 104 dollars and has some basic stuff you need.
    The 2 items it does not have is the dies and the Hand held primer from Lee.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(York County)

Thanks for the info...
    Just to make sure… I am talking about the Lee Loader that uses a hammer to resize the brass and set the bullet. The whole kit is like 20 dollars.
    So this kit will resize the length of the shell? I plan on using brass that is once fired that I pick up at the range.
    Do these little lee reloading kits come with the proper taper crimp?
    Also I have been told that reloading data will come with little kit that I can use when making loads.

Here is a new question...
    How will I know how far to seat the bullet?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to get some opinions before I buy anything.

Rob

(Luzerne County)

I started reloading using one of these sets . They neck size only. So y ou must use cases from your weapon or you will likely have problems . I suggest you avoid this setup and instead purchase a regular press and reloading kit . I think RCBS makes a reloader setup that includes everything . If money is tight go with a LEE setup . Ron

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJH245 View Post
    Thanks for the info...
    Just to make sure… I am talking about the Lee Loader that uses a hammer to resize the brass and set the bullet. The whole kit is like 20 dollars.
    So this kit will resize the length of the shell? I plan on using brass that is once fired that I pick up at the range.
    Do these little lee reloading kits come with the proper taper crimp?
    Also I have been told that reloading data will come with little kit that I can use when making loads.

Here is a new question...
    How will I know how far to seat the bullet?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to get some opinions before I buy anything.

Rob
    d00d!
    You can get Lee C presses for $40. Classic O presses can be had for $60. That Lee Loader is not the way to go when for just a few bucks more you can have a real press.

For $130-$150 you can get a reloading setup with press, pocket tool, scales, priming tool, etc..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

(Jefferson County)

Please just save up for this instead of the Lee Loader.

$100 press and loading kit:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...847&hasJS=true

$24 9mm carbide dies
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...847&hasJS=true

You'll be doing yourself a favor by buying the kit I linked to.

(York County)

Thanks for the advice....i will save and buy a good setup. Maybe a single stage lee press to start.

Do I need the 4 die set to load 9mm? How is it different than the 3 die set?

(Fayette County)

The Lee 4 die set is the "Deluxe" set that includes the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Instead of crimping the bullet in the seating die, you back the crimp off and just seat the bullet. The Factory Crimp Die crimps the bullet in place and post sizes the cases on the way out. Reviews of this die are generally good. I use 'em in a progressive press and like 'em, but you will need to run every round through the press again if you use it.

Make sure to get the carbide die set so you will not have to lube your cases.

(Berks County)

You have a max size listed in any reloading manual. It will tell you max length of the empty case and also the max length for the loaded round. It will give you trim to lengths. Lee makes a trimmer that is easy to use that you don't have to measure.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast