Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Still not eating lead!

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/...ad_in_meat.htm

January 6, 2012
    Recent studies have provided important, new information about lead fragments in venison and other game harvested with lead ammunition. Following are some facts from those studies. To make informed decisions about consuming game, hunters are advised to learn more about the studies by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/lead/index.html) and the North Dakota Department of Health (www.ndhealth.gov/lead/Venison/).

Following are key points from the these and other studies:

A number of studies have shown elevated lead levels in deer and game birds harvested with lead ammunition.
    A study by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) showed that shotgun slugs and muzzleloader bullets, the predominant ammunition used to hunt deer in New Jersey, produced fewer fragments than high velocity rifle bullets. Therefore, the use of muzzleloaders and shotgun slugs will reduce, but not eliminate, the amount of lead left in venison. Buckshot was not tested, but it is reasonable to assume that it too leaves fewer fragments than high velocity rifle bullets.
    Most lead fragments are too small to see or feel.
    Approximately 50% of the fragments from muzzleloader bullets and slugs were found within 2" of the wound channel, although some were found up to 18" away. Therefore, generous trimming around the wound channel can substantially reduce, but not entirely eliminate lead fragments.
    Shot placement can minimize your exposure to lead. A shot into any part of the deer where heavy bones are located will result in high and widespread lead fragmentation. Hunters, as always, must choose their shots wisely and maintain their marksmanship skills.
    Ground venison contains more lead fragments than whole cuts. The Minnesota DNR found that only 2% of the whole cuts of meat they tested contained detectable lead fragments, compared to 27% of ground venison. A study in North Dakota detected lead fragments in more than 50% of ground venison packages. The only way to completely eliminate lead fragments is to use non-lead ammunition, such as solid copper. Lead in venison has not been linked to any illnesses. However, a study by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) conducted in North Dakota found that people who consumed game harvested with lead bullets had higher blood lead levels than those who ate little or none. None of the 738 study participants had a blood level in excess of 10 micrograms per deciliter, the level at which CDC recommends case management to reduce blood lead levels in children (25 micrograms per deciliter is the corresponding level in adults).
    According to the CDC there is evidence that suggests that harmful effects on the mental and physical development of young children can occur at blood lead levels below 10 micrograms per deciliter. Therefore, the North Dakota Department of Health advised pregnant women and children under 6 years old not to consume venison harvested with lead ammunition. They also advised older children and adults to take steps to minimize their potential exposure to lead, and use their judgment about consuming game taken with lead-based ammunition.
    Guidelines for reducing lead during venison processing have been published by the North Dakota Department of Agriculture (http://www.agdepartment.com/Programs...Guidelines.pdf).
    The use of non-toxic ammunition is the surest way of eliminating lead fragments in the meat of game animals.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Still not eating lead!

Geez, you eat natural meat, and you get lead (we were given some venison...hub only killed a super small deer this year.... have no clue if it has lead in it)...but you eat meat from the store and you get stuffed full of hormones and who knows what else.

I give up on food these days. LOL.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Bucks County)

The point of the article was the big lead scare was a hoax!!

I eat venison with out any problems.

I wonder what they will say when the all alloy bullets take off?

My rifle bullet is a Barnes Vortex... no lead.

My shot guns... well the article explains buckshot and sabots.

My muzzle loader... sabots.

Eat you meat! It is great!

(Bucks County)

We have been! We ate "sloppy does" tonight. LOL.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Allegheny County)

I recall finding a piece of lead while I was chewing on a piece of deer meat.
    Am I gonna die?

Interesting Emptymag factoid #22,958:
    I still have the bullet retrieved from that deer sitting in a little box. (well, all except for that sliver I nearly ate)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Am I gonna die?

I still have the bullet retrieved from that deer sitting in a little box. (well, all except for that sliver I nearly ate)
    Yes, but method and time has yet to be determined.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

What a bunch of BS. I live on venison and pheasant. I never buy meat. Of course I don't get any lead in my venison because every deer that I have killed since 1988 was killed with an arrow and once in a while I pick up a road kill. The pheasants are another story. I hunt at several shooting preserves and the Gamelands. Occasionally I stock some birds on my own during the season. I eat a lot of pheasant. I try to remove all the shot but once in a while some gets eaten. Unlike fowl, humans do not have a gizzard to grind up hard objects. Within a day or two, after going to the toilet and flushing there lays the shot on the bottom of the bowl because it's too heavy to be flushed. Just like panning for gold. No matter how often you flush it, it just lays there until you clean it out.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Bucks County)

Oh-Oh. I'm toast. I have lead bullet frag under my hide in a couple places. Should the opportunity arise, do not eat me.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

im a plumber in philly and have poured hundreds of thousands of inches of lead into cat bell and spigot joints over the last thirty years. lead in game is the least of my concerns.

between the brain cells killed with alchohol and lead its a wunor i kin evun spel.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Am I gonna die?

Is the bullet that dinged the roof of your truck in that same box?
    Are you thinking of framing them and putting them on display?

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast