Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Transfer Question

So I bought a CZ earlier on in december from a private owner. We did the transfer at an FFL. Well, the other night, about a month later, I was carrying the said handgun when I was pulled over for no apparent reason. Anyways, I told the cop about my handgun, he took it and ran the numbers on it. Thats when he told me that the gun was still registered in the previous owner's name. I was kinda dumbfounded and was wondering if this is normal. I mean, does it take the great state of PA that long to process the paperwork, or could it be something with the FFL dealer I went to?

Default Re: Transfer Question

Ah, the joys of the "It's not a registry" registry.

(Jefferson County)

There isn't a registry in PA, but there is a database that is treated as one. Sometimes it take the PSP forever to record the new information, then there are times when the FFL/sheriff drops the ball on getting the info to the PSP.

When transferring a "firearm" in PA, the recipient is given a copy of the SP4-113 form. If a LEO ever keeps your handgun, present that as proof of the compliance. They would have no reason to keep the "firearm" any further(as if they had a reason to begin with ).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

As knight said it could take upwards to several months to get the new owner in the "sales database" The FFL has to submit the forms (SP4-113 with the surcharge remittance form) at least every 14 days. If the day 14 falls on a Friday and he doesn't have Sat or Sun hours, the form may not go out until that Monday (now up to day 17), then it may take several days to get to Harrisburg, several days to get to the person who does the data entry, and depending on the work load, vacations, holidays, etc, it might not get entered for several more weeks. Or, as I have had happen to me in the past they got put in the wrong folder and I forgot to send the forms in. About 2 months went by and I got a nice letter from the Firearms Unit reminding me that I hadn't sent in the forms. So in that case the data didn't get inputted for probably 3 months or more.

I tell my clients that if the gun they just got is going to be a carry gun, fold up their copy of the SP4-113 and carry it in their wallet or glove box so you can prove it is yours to a LEO that doesn't know that he is not supposed to use the sales database to determine if the gun is "registered" to you.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Luckily enough the LEO knew it wasn't illegal to carry someone else's handgun, and he politely returned it to me with my +1, then proceeded to tell me not to load it until i was out of his jurisdiction, that made me chuckle. The officer originally pulled me over for no reason, he might have though i was speeding but had no way of verifying that. Luckily my friend was behind me doing the actual speed limit and saved my ass. Anyways, I have the form and everything, so if i get some stupid officer that doesn't know what he/she is talking about (and most don't), I have proof that the firearm is mine

(Erie County)

Why did you tell the officer you had
    a handgun?!!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

IDK, everyone always told me that you were supposed to. I'm pretty new to the whole carrying thing, and everyone I've talked to said that I should tell an officer that there is a firearm in the vehicle

(Indiana County)

There is no duty to inform in Pennsylvania that you are legally carrying.

It is a common thing to be argued here, I'm not going to tell you what to or not to do, that is your choice.

Me, I never say a word as it's none of their damn business and I have even been asked "is there anything in the vehicle I need to be aware of" and I answered "NO".

I suggest you peruse the stickies here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121

What the cop did was illegal. He had no reason to believe it was stolen and legally, that is all he may do. He should have never taken possession of it in the first place. You rights were violated.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Juniata County)

What the officer did was nothing less then an illegal seizure, and an illegal search, after what appears to be an illegal Detention.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast