Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Delaware County LTCF application

I noticed that the application asks for your employer's address and phone number. My employer is in NJ and would probably freak if they got a call from the Sheriff's office about an LTCF application, plus since it's in NJ I wouldn't be carrying at work.

So, do they call your employer as part of the background check and do they say why they're calling? Confirming employment wouldn't be a problem but saying it's for a LTCF could be.
    Last edited by joefunny30; January 9th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Delaware County LTCF application

I have no idea, it would be nice to know

I just filled mine out and handed it in... And I work at the airport hahaha
    Whoops

-MOOK

Quote Originally Posted by joefunny30 View Post
    I noticed that the application asks for your employer's address and phone number. My employer is in NJ and would probably freak if they got a call from the Sheriff's office about an LTCF application, plus since it's in NJ I wouldn't be carrying at work.

So, do they call your employer as part of the background check and do they say why they're calling? Confirming employment wouldn't be a problem but saying it's for a LTCF could be.
    By law, the sheriff is not supposed to reveal to anyone that you are licensed or applying for one... not that all sheriffs follow that law

I don't know what the Delco sheriff does... I'm sure someone else will answer specifically.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    By law, the sheriff is not supposed to reveal to anyone that you are licensed or applying for one... not that all sheriffs follow that law

I don't know what the Delco sheriff does... I'm sure someone else will answer specifically.
    This

IME, the delco sheriff doesn't call references. If he discloses to your employer (or anyone) that you were applying for a firearm license, I would flip the hell out and sue.

But that's me

(Delaware County)

You mean you aren't self employed as well as being employed?
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Delaware County)

I just picked up my LCTF today from the media court house, I applied back in December they did not contact my employer, or any of my references.

(Philadelphia County)

I just got mine 6 months ago and they didn't call anybody

(Delaware County)

I guess I should add that I have a very long and foreign sounding name. Maybe it will work in my favor because they won't be able to pronounce it
    Yes, I am a US citizen, grew up here and all that good stuff, just have a long eastern european name.

I'm kind of tired of over analyzing it, I'll just drop off the application and see what happens. I see a name change in my future lol

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like it shouldn't be too much of an issue if they haven't called people's references and employers. If the do call I hope they don't reveal why they're calling.
    Last edited by joefunny30; January 9th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

(Delaware County)

About 5 years ago I got my first LTCF. The things the DELCO sheriff's office did back then was worse than now.

Not only did they call my boss (at that time) and references but told all three why. Of course my references knew to expect the call, I mean who puts people down that aren't going to vouch for them?

The boss on the other hand ... well he's a gun guy too, his answer to the sheriff was "Always good to have another gun on my side".

Today I realize how much fail was involved but I was new to carry so I didn't know any better.

Believe it or not DELCO has come a long way since then. One Saturday and one Monday night a month to apply/pick up the LTCF, used to be courthouse hours only. I've heard he has since stopped calling the employer and disclosing the reason for the call with the references.

They have some other things that need to be worked on but some progress is better than no progress.