Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Fabricate/Replace Firing Pin in Spanish Double

Hello!

I just took a gamble on this 1968 Spanish SxS. The bores/barrel/stock all look to be in good shape, just in need of a good cleaning. But I am missing a firing pin as seen below.

The makers proofs seem to indicate a Gaspar Arizaga make, in the city of Eibar. I'm sure that Gander Mountain doesn't have replacements on hand - does anyone have any idea the effort/cost to go about getting a new one?

Beyond that, are there any recommendations for a gunsmith in Western PA who could do such a job?

Thanks in advance!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Fabricate/Replace Firing Pin in Spanish Double

You might be in need of a firing pin spring too, possibly two of them if the other firing pin is supposed to be rebounding. Many break-action guns were made to have the firing pins retract after firing to make sure they weren't broken off when opening/closing the action.

Also, some of the Gaspar Arizaga shotguns had their firing pins integrated into the hammers. So a whole hammer might be needed. You might want to double check by taking the shoulder stock off to see. They could be brazed on or actually a part of the hammer.

From the looks of that picture, it's possible that they are non-integrated cause of the cap on the bolt/breech face. Guns with that design usually have rebounding springs.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

My general source for parts like that is Numrich Gun Parts. Otherwise, I've seen firing pins made for a few guns by finding a bolt about the right size, hacksawing it to about the right size, then making it into a real firing pin with a vise and a file. It's time consuming but effective if you're patient and willing to keep trying until you get the right fit, especially if you have the broken one to use as a pattern.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Fabricate/Replace Firing Pin in Spanish Double

if you are going to make one try using a drill bit of the same diameter for your base stock. use the non fluted part of the bit. use a dremel slowly to remove material so as not to overheat the metal. when your done no heat treating will be needed as a drill bit is already hardened. has worked for me in the past. as far as the springs go you will be surprised how many sizes and strengths are available for modification as well. good luck

(Allegheny County)

Thanks all! That's some good information, especially about the possibility of an integrated hammer/pin.

Knight - do you know a lot of about Arizaga guns? I'm not even 100% sure it is an Arizaga, I'm only assuming that the NF mark is transposed, which is an idea I got from ShotgunWorld.com since no one has been able to identify the NF mark as is.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by merklitl View Post
    Thanks all! That's some good information, especially about the possibility of an integrated hammer/pin.

Knight - do you know a lot of about Arizaga guns? I'm not even 100% sure it is an Arizaga, I'm only assuming that the NF mark is transposed, which is an idea I got from ShotgunWorld.com since no one has been able to identify the NF mark as is.
    Not really, I just know a bit about older guns and have a few resources.

Of the proof marks, from left to right in that picture:
    Left = Nuevo escudo de Eibar (the proofing station, in English "New shield of Eibar")
    Middle = (black powder proofed, "Long arms of 3.° and 4.° Groups")
    Right = (smokeless proofed)

N1 = 1968(you probably know that)
    1000 KGS = load rating? 1000Kilograms

It is possible that the barrels were made by one firm, and the receiver by another. That was common practice a long time ago in Europe.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 10th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

F.N. "is ARIZAGA, IGNACIO (antes GASPAR)"

Cant find "NF", maybe it got reversed during stamping??

(Jefferson County)

C.V. on the lug is = "COMERCIAL VASCO ARMERA". ...Which is who probably made the barrels.

"COMERCIAL VASCO ARMERA" is listed as an "unrifled barrel maker".

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Knight. The reversed FN to NF is the conclusion I came to, since I could not find any documentation about the way it is stamped.

I took the gun down to Economy Gunsmithing today to get a replacement pin fabricated (i don't have the tools/knowledge) and to give it a once over - checking the springs and so forth.