Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denied!

(Washington County)

Default Denied!

Hello members. I am new to the forum and I have what may be a serious matter. On Monday I tried to purchase a hand gun at my local shop. I filled out the paperwork and I was denied. The dealer was also asked to send a copy of my PICS form. Now I realize why I was denied. I was involuntarily commited back in Feb. of 2011. I stayed for a few days until the trail. I saw the public defender and he said I had 2 options. I could go to trail and risk beig 303ed or I could voluntarily stay until the doctor thought I could leave. He told me that if I voluntarily stayed I would have no record of any involuntary commitment. Even from the time I was commited, that would not show up on my record. I dont think he gave me good advice. I am sure that is why I was denied. I have never had any trouble with the law so my record was totally clean. I am very,very worried that they think I knowingly lied on the form. I was given information by an attorney that I believed to be true. So I did not lie. I could see if I got the info off the internet, but it was from a lawyer. This happened Monday Jan.2 and I have not heard anything. Do you members have any advice for me?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Denied!

Call a lawyer who specializes in firearms.

http://www.princelaw.com/Bio/JoshuaPrince.asp

or

www.hbutlerlaw.com

(Perry County)

Trials and public defenders aren't involved in mental health commitments. They are involved in criminal charges. I would suggest you look into what occurred a little more, dig out any paperwork you have from the incident and look it over.

Sounds to me like you were charged with a crime and diverted into the mental health system. You will probably need an attorney to have your rights restored. There are several on here that will probably offer their services.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Trials and public defenders aren't involved in mental health commitments. They are involved in criminal charges. I would suggest you look into what occurred a little more, dig out any paperwork you have from the incident and look it over.

Sounds to me like you were charged with a crime and diverted into the mental health system. You will probably need an attorney to have your rights restored. There are several on here that will probably offer their services.
    It was not a criminal matter. I became suicidal when my medications were being adjusted. I was involuntarily commited. The attorney said this would not be on my record if I waived the trial and stayed voluntarily. The trial was in the hospital. I am worried that they will think I lied on the form and I could face criminal charges. I answered the questions based on the knowledge that was given to me.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by 15round View Post
    It was not a criminal matter. I became suicidal when my medications were being adjusted. I was involuntarily commited. The attorney said this would not be on my record if I waived the trial and stayed voluntarily. The trial was in the hospital. I am worried that they will think I lied on the form and I could face criminal charges. I answered the questions based on the knowledge that was given to me.
    You will require an attorney to sort it out.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 15round View Post
    Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork. What you believe you heard will not be enough.

I would think you would have been given some sort of paperwork when you were released. Check your records. If you can't find anything, contact the hospital and see what they can release to you.

Rounding up the available information is just a start; contacting a knowledgeable attorney is probably the very next step.

(Wyoming County)

Your original commitment was a 302 and that will prevent you unless you can rectify it.

(Washington County)

At this point I am not worried about buying a gun. I am worried about being charged with a crime. Would the authorites be lenient considering I was given misinformation and did not knowingly lie? Also, I have no prior record of anything, not even a speeding ticket.Thanks for the posts. Are any of you attornies?

I highly doubt you will be charged with anything. You answered the questions to the best of your knowledge and thought them to be truthful.

IMO your concerns are reversed. I would be far more concerned about the permanent loss of my right to own a firearm. You are considered prohibited, which means you cannot own, posses, or touch any firearm EVER. You need to consult a qualified firearms attorney.
    Last edited by God's Country; January 7th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

I would delete your above post and contact a lawyer. You might be prohibited, and you just admitted to owning guns on a public forum.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast