Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default I knew sooner or later it would happen.

I work in different local states, Pa...Wv...and Ohio. I carry my Pistol in Pa. and Wv. and just recently had my Utah CCL granted so I could take it with me to Ohio too. Well today I was stopped by the local police and sherriff's department LEO'S while driving down the road past some homes. It seems they were looking for burglars that had just broken into homes there and fled on foot. About 30 seconds into the conversation about where you from...where you on your way to....we are looking for somebody who just burgarized a home here....do you have any identification.....I said to the leo, sir, I believe that by law I have a duty to inform you that I have a lawfull loaded weapon in my vehicle and I handed him my Utah ccl and drivers liscence. He calmly replied...yes you are and I want to thank you for letting me know that. He then asked where I had it and after telling him he checked out my drivers liscence and after everything came back clean he let me pass... I thought that it went really well and that the leo did a pro job. I guess I was expecting something crazy to happen, glad it didn't.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: I knew sooner or later it would happen.

What state were you in? PA has no duty to inform.

(Mercer County)

Were you in Ohioland?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Centre County)

Just stay the hell out of Canton.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by joe magarack View Post
    I work in different local states, Pa...Wv...and Ohio. I carry my Pistol in Pa. and Wv. and just recently had my Utah CCL granted so I could take it with me to Ohio too. Well today I was stopped by the local police and sherriff's department LEO'S while driving down the road past some homes. It seems they were looking for burglars that had just broken into homes there and fled on foot. About 30 seconds into the conversation about where you from...where you on your way to....we are looking for somebody who just burgarized a home here....do you have any identification.....I said to the leo, sir, I believe that by law I have a duty to inform you that I have a lawfull loaded weapon in my vehicle and I handed him my Utah ccl and drivers liscence. He calmly replied...yes you are and I want to thank you for letting me know that. He then asked where I had it and after telling him he checked out my drivers liscence and after everything came back clean he let me pass... I thought that it went really well and that the leo did a pro job. I guess I was expecting something crazy to happen, glad it didn't.
    Was this in Ohio? If so where? I am frequently in the Warren, OH area as I used to live there and have family and friends that still do.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Just stay the hell out of Canton.
    Either not all Ohio LEO's are as bad as the one from Canton and/or some department's updated their training around the Canton case.

Regardless, the very first words out of my mouth is "I have a firearms permit and a loaded firearm *insert location*" (yes, Utah has a permit it printed right on the card "Concealed Firearms Permit"). I'm glad you got a good LEO and I think most are. But I'm not taking chances.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Regardless, the very first words out of my mouth is "I have a firearms permit and a loaded firearm *insert location*" (yes, Utah has a permit it printed right on the card "Concealed Firearms Permit"). I'm glad you got a good LEO and I think most are. But I'm not taking chances.
    That's exactly right. However, I generally teach my students in the CFP classes to say, "I am a concealed firearm permit-holder, and am armed. How would you like to proceed?" I think that this is a smoother approach than saying, "I have a loaded firearm." You say "firearm" but a cop hears "gun." I never want my interaction with a LEO to begin with what he perceives to be, "I have a loaded GUN!" Not that there is anything wrong with how you do it.

Essentially, I don't care how you inform in Ohio, so long as it is the VERY first thing you say. I teach people to yell over top of an overly aggressive Officer if they have to, so that the dash cam will catch it. Just something to think about.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    That's exactly right. However, I generally teach my students in the CFP classes to say, "I am a concealed firearm permit-holder, and am armed. How would you like to proceed?" I think that this is a smoother approach than saying, "I have a loaded firearm." You say "firearm" but a cop hears "gun." I never want my interaction with a LEO to begin with what he perceives to be, "I have a loaded GUN!" Not that there is anything wrong with how you do it.

Essentially, I don't care how you inform in Ohio, so long as it is the VERY first thing you say. I teach people to yell over top of an overly aggressive Officer if they have to, so that the dash cam will catch it. Just something to think about.
    Good point on "i am armed" vs "I have a firearm" ill have to repeat that to myself a few hundred times to try and retrain what I have already thought of. But as you said the most important point is to make sure that is the first thing you say. Hopefully Ohio can change this. They have been doing well and making there carry laws better since the first version that is less than 10 years old.

Last time I was approached by a LEO here in ohio, he rolls up in his cruiser while I was walking my dog. He stopped, rolled down the window and called me over. I told him I have a Utah permit and am carrying. I asked him if he'd like to see the permit, to which he replied "nah just dont shoot me".

All just depends on the LEO.

(Beaver County)

Im sorry, I forgot to say that it was in St. Clairsville Oh. The reason I waited for a few seconds or so was I wasn't sure if he was going to stop me and ask me questions or if he was just gonna say....go slow and go around us. When he actually started to question me and I realized I was going to be looked into, sorta speakin, I felt I should tell him I had a concealled weapon as according to the law. It all worked out well.

(Lancaster County)

Did you ask him if you matched the description of the burglary suspects?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast