Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Suggestion for a first rifle?

I've been meaning to ask this for quite a while (joined PAFOA February 28th 2010 and this is my first post). I don't have very much knowledge on firearms as I've never had the pleasure to so much as see them in action in person (though I did get to visit a national guard building in the area and see on of their M249s and an M16A4 2 years ago which was rather neat), but I think target shooting and possibly hunting (deer meat is delicious after all ) may be fun for me and will allow me to get out of the house more often. I have a rather strict budget (I'll be 16 on the 4th and thus I do not yet have a job) which as of right now is $150 because that's all the money I have, though it may change if I get money for my birthday. I'm wondering if there are any decent rifles to start on for a price I can afford. I'm hoping to have money left over for any sort of fees I may need to pay (ie ammo fees, range fees, transfer fees, fees for some sort of safety program I may attend). From what I've seen online, my best bet appears to be a Mosin Nagant. I've seen them go for around $120 on gunbroker and other websites, they aren't semi auto so they appear to be legal for hunting if I can convince my mom that the woods aren't filled with people hell bent on killing teenagers, and from what I hear they're relatively accurate. However, you guys are the one's with firearm knowledge, not me, so I'd like to hear your opinions.

While I'm asking questions, I may as well ask this here as well. Does anyone know of some sort of firearm safety program I could attend in the Carbon County area? It'd kill me on the inside if I had a negligent discharge and ended up hurting someone, knowing that I could have taken necessary steps to prevent it.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Suggestion for a first rifle?

A friend of mine was just looking at a Mosin Nagant at Cabelas in Wheeling WV. One of the employees told him they had 150 in stock in that store; I assume the Hamburg store also has a bunch. He also said they occasionally go on sale for $99. If that's true, you'd save a good bit buying locally. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

(Butler County)

For that price range a mosin nagant is probably a good choice...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Monroe County)

For that price I'd shop for a used Marlin 30:30. Plenty of punch for deer and black bear. You can shoot it with irons or put a scope on it later. I don't know how available soft point hunting bullets are for the moisin.

Good luck,

(Elk County)

Go to a gun shop, or browse local classifieds. Look for used guns, you might get lucky and find a deal.

If you are looking for a Mosin, then keep your eye on Dunhams Sports http://www.dunhamssports.com/ Mosin's go on sale pretty regularly there for around $100.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

(Butler County)

Or save up some money and get a beaut like this:
    http://slickguns.com/product/remingt...-stock-28050-0 for $265
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brad5452 View Post
    I have a rather strict budget ((I'll be 16 on the 4th and thus I do not yet have a job) which as of right now is $150 because that's all the money I have, though it may change if I get money for my birthday. I'm wondering if there are any decent rifles to start on for a price I can afford.
    I am sure that someone will correct me is I am wrong here, but I do not believe that
    A) you are old enough to purchase a firearm.
    B) it would be illegal for you to give money to someone to purchase you a firearm.

(Westmoreland County)

A mosin is a great gun for the money and everybody should own atleast one eventually. But you are limited on optics that you can cheaply mount to it.

If I were you and planned on going hunting with it, I would wait.

Save up some more cash, that way you can get into a more quality firearm that has more ammo, scope, and recreational choices.

For around $300 you can get into some cheaper but still good .308, .243, 30:06 rifles that you will be much more pleased with.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    I am sure that someone will correct me is I am wrong here, but I do not believe that
    A) you are old enough to purchase a firearm.
    B) it would be illegal for you to give money to someone to purchase you a firearm.
    You are right, However he can still go hunting with an adult.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast