Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Martial Arts/unarmed combat

OK, we all have at least one thing in common, our love for firearms. Now I would like to know who is into the martial arts or some form of unarmed combat and what your preferred style is. Currently I am involved with Tai Chi, primarily Yang style, and enjoy that. Who and What else?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Martial Arts/unarmed combat

I started out with Goju Ryu at 10, took that 5 years. Then 2 styles of TKD in college and early 20s. Then 6 years of Choy Li Fut Kung Fu then another 4 or 5 of Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu.

More recently, I'm moving towards simpler, more adrenaline-friendly combatives styles, also with some grappling, along with Western boxing footwork and body movement. I studied for a while with a guy in Philly teaching such an amalgam system.

I haven't done anything in a couple of years, but if/when I get back into it, it'll be some form of combatives, either WWII-derived (see the Carl Cestari "basement tapes" for an idea of that) or maybe Krav Maga (there's a school less than a mile away) or something like that. Another option is one of the Indonesian styles that are already highly useful combatives oriented.

The good thing about living 6 blocks from Chinatown is the martial arts choices readily available.

(Allegheny County)

i've had a little (very little) formal training in martial arts. i never really saw the applicability of many styles of martial arts to real world fights.

on the other hand, i wrestled in high school and for many years during and after high school in freestyle (olympic style) tournaments. i found that my wrestling skills served me very well in street fights.

(i was a bouncer in college which got me into a few good scuffles...i was also just not one to "take sh_t" from anyone back in those days, and, of course, there were plenty of other testosterone filled guys around who wanted to play, too...i have mellowed A LOT since then, though.)

i do think training in something like krav maga would be very useful for real world fighting. i also recently picked up a book called Attack Proof on a fighting style called "guided chaos" that is pretty interesting. i have no idea if the stuff actually works as i have never had a chance to practice it with anyone, but there are some interesting concepts in there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i also recently picked up a book called Attack Proof on a fighting style called "guided chaos" that is pretty interesting. i have no idea if the stuff actually works as i have never had a chance to practice it with anyone, but there are some interesting concepts in there.
    "Attack Proof" sums up (as well as it can be, verbally) how the "internal styles" of martial arts would be used in real life. The author did a rather good job.

(Montgomery County)

Wrestling, as well as boxing, is a martial art.

They just are not eastern.
    Last edited by whoshisface; November 28th, 2006 at 07:46 PM.

(Bucks County)

Tang Soo Do - many years ago, back when I was flexible enough to touch my toes.

(Philadelphia County)

I have about 8 years of Tekken experience, and about 5 years on and off in the Virtua Fighter arts.

I can kick this guy's ass.

Then I normally just wake up.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I have about 8 years of Tekken experience, and about 5 years on and off in the Virtua Fighter arts.

I can kick this guy's ass.

Then I normally just wake up.
    ROFL... Diego there are times when you just crack me up!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Poultney, VT(school) Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

currently in jijitsu, shodkon, and bokkem jitsu

(Berks County)

Anyone know of any Krav Maga instructors in S.E. PA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast