Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Best Rifle for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by joe magarack View Post
    Hello to everyone. I have been on this site for almost a year now and learned so much about Handguns its amazing. Now I am looking for info on a rifle. I want to know what would be the best Caliber for hunting Deer, Wild hog and Black Bear. And I also would like an opinion on the make and model of a Gun to do the job. I want a lever action and dont want to spend more then 1000.00 dollars........ok fellas, shoot.
    I have two .44 magnum lever action guns. I have successfully used the new leverlution ammo by Hornandy. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/765...ding-box-of-20

Personally, anything under 175 yards is toast. Bears, deer, ground hogs, and for personal defense. My rifles hold 11 rounds of ammo and working that lever action can be done quickly but keep an eye on accuracy. Thats my opinion.

CL

(Allegheny County)

Browning A bolt in .308, Can be had new for around $500. It has an awesome adjustable trigger! Mine functions flawlessly, topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 its a deadly package thats very hard to beat. You have been warned
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

Is your budget $1000 just for the rifle or that rifle and possibly optics?

Do you only want a lever action only or are you willing to look into bolt actions as well?

30 06 or 45 70 govt would be my choices as the 30 06 has taken all North American game and there is a wide range of bullet weights to choose from.

As for brands I hear good things about Browning and Savage firearms.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; January 4th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

Just a suggestion. If you are looking for quick follow up shots and a little more accuracy than some of the lever actions. Might I suggest a remington pump action? I've got a very accurate 760 gamemaster in 30-06. Any of the other suggestions are very good as well. Just my two cents.

(York County)

Those Browning BLR's are sweet. I had a chance some 20 years ago at a BLR in 358 and passed, and am still kicking my self.

I don't know about 308 being hard to find in a pinch, haven't noticed that. They can be loaded with 180 grn, but I would think trajectory is rainbow-ish, so limiting shots to 150 yards or so in a lever gun would probably be optimum for the average shooter. The 300 Sav in the Mod 99 is a pretty versitile set up and it can be loaded with 180 grn too, although a hair slower than the 308. For lever guns you've gotten pretty good advice so far from what I've seen. Stick with the meat and potatoes will go a long way. Practice at all ranges and know what your rifle can do. Beware the man with one gun.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by apark258 View Post
    Just a suggestion. If you are looking for quick follow up shots and a little more accuracy than some of the lever actions. Might I suggest a remington pump action? I've got a very accurate 760 gamemaster in 30-06. Any of the other suggestions are very good as well. Just my two cents.
    If I only had one rifle for hunting, it would have to be a Remington Pump! The fact that your shooting hand does not have to change position makes for fast and accurate follow up shoots.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123