Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Owner

(Philadelphia County)

Default New Owner

I have inherited 2 single action pistols from my father who has passed. I have never owned a firearm in the past and am very excited start enjoying them. Am I correct in saying that I do not need to register these firearms with the state of Pa? I want to be as legal as possible.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: New Owner

There is no registration in PA.

Also, transfers from bequest(a will) or intestate succession(inheritance in family relations) are legal without paperwork.

You can go the extra lengths of taking the handguns to a FFL and transferring them to yourself. However it is completely unnecessary.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Correct sir! congrats on your new firearms but I am sorry to hear of his passing
    "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" -Genesis 27:3

(Montgomery County)

But since you are new it will do you good to take a NRA course in firearms. Learn the laws. Don't let the laws get you.

(Lancaster County)

Some of it is going to depend on what you want to do with them.

Like others have said, you do not need to do anything for them to be legally yours. If you just want to keep them or even display them you should be good to go.

However if you actually want to shoot them, you can legally only carry them to and from a range or a gunsmith and they must be unloaded. You can bypass those regulations, and possibly avoid any potential headaches, by getting yourself a License to Carry Firearms. Depending on what county you're in the process might be slightly different, but you would have to go to the county's sherriff's office and fill out an application for the LTCF and pay the fee (usually around $20). In Lancaster I walked in with $20 cash and walked out 20 min later with my freshly minted license, still hot from the printer.

It's up to you if you want to go this route and if you plan on really doing anything with them you might want to do it. If you have any other questions about things ask away on these forums. Tons of people here that are so more knowledgable than me
    ~Daniel

(Montgomery County)

No registration.

Get a LTCF. It is for the best that you have one, if you don't and something happens you'll regret it.

Learn the laws here.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    No registration.

Get a LTCF. It is for the best that you have one, if you don't and something happens you'll regret it.

Learn the laws here.
    Good suggestion. Is it required? No. Might it save a lot of potential aggravation? Yes.