Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Tourist arrested at WTC

One wonders when this sort of crap will finally stop. We really need national reciprocity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45814610/ns/us_news/
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Tourist arrested at WTC

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    One wonders when this sort of crap will finally stop. We really need national reciprocity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45814610/ns/us_news/
    People would then still need to follow the rules of the host state and I'm sure the same types of things would happen too.

Also seriously what is it with people thinking that it's a good idea to carry a gun into NYC?

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    “You’d think states would reciprocate with the Second Amendment. She has a license to carry in Tennessee,” her mother-in-law told the Post.
    You would think she'd bother to look up the rules before leaving the state.

(Philadelphia County)

This is disheartening. You can see how this could be an honest mistake for many people who assume "common sense" gun rights/laws. I hope jury nullification comes into play here.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    This is disheartening. You can see how this could be an honest mistake for many people who assume "common sense" gun rights/laws. I hope jury nullification comes into play here.

Al
    If it was an plane diverted/FOPA issue I might agree (and honestly in some states charges aren't filed). I just feel that planned coming from TN to NYC for a trip and even the most basic internet search would have told the person that NY and NYC (since there is no preemption) would not honor her permit.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    People would then still need to follow the rules of the host state and I'm sure the same types of things would happen too.

Also seriously what is it with people thinking that it's a good idea to carry a gun into NYC?

You would think she'd bother to look up the rules before leaving the state.
    I've been in NYC many times... And frankly, what is it with people thinking its NOT a good idea to carry a gun in NYC?

Of course, you can not (notice that is not CANT, or carry always never tell, cause I sure as hell do not want to spend 3 plus years in the grey bar hotel) due to rights impairing laws.

Completely agree that she was negligent in not understanding the laws of the state she was visiting.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Delaware County)

It's really simple: YES, NYC blatantly violates peoples' Second Amendment rights with its unconstitutional firearms laws.
    This needs to be changed ASAP; national reciprocity is one way to go about doing this. One of the rare examples, in my opinion, where the federal government should, scratch that, has the DUTY to step in and right a wrong.
    HOWEVER, until that happens, and the appropriate steps are taken, citizens MUST do their homework, and know where they can and cannot carry as the laws stand currently. This woman/tourist should have known she couldn't take her pistol into the liberal bastion that is NYC. She, and others like her, are only asking for trouble.
    J.

(Bucks County)

As far as it being a "good idea" to carry in NYC...LOL....its a GREAT idea, unfortunately, the police and laws disagree. hahaha.

She definitely should have been more careful about the laws...but I feel really sorry for her to face jail time over it, especially when she willingly gave it up. Hindsight is 20/20....she should have immediately left and found a safe place to put it instead of asked to check it.

Sigh.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gfanikf View Post
    If it was an plane diverted/FOPA issue I might agree (and honestly in some states charges aren't filed). I just feel that planned coming from TN to NYC for a trip and even the most basic internet search would have told the person that NY and NYC (since there is no preemption) would not honor her permit.
    While you and I and many people will look up laws, many people do assume in honesty. I know people who thought their PA LTCF is valid in NJ!

While I do think the saying "ignorance of the law is no excuse" usually holds its spirit to prevent people from making excuses, this case is an exception to that in book. Even if the jurors hate guns, I'd find it difficult to believe that they would forgo any conscience and convict her. If it were something else unrelated to gun, just as severe, and just as honestly ignorant, I know I wouldn't vote "guilty".

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

A jury would have to be ruthless to convict her after she asked nicely to have it checked.....

Like a criminal would do that?!
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    I've been in NYC many times... And frankly, what is it with people thinking its NOT a good idea to carry a gun in NYC?

Of course, you can not (notice that is not CANT, or carry always never tell, cause I sure as hell do not want to spend 3 plus years in the grey bar hotel) due to rights impairing laws.
    LOL I don't disagree.

Completely agree that she was negligent in not understanding the laws of the state she was visiting.
    And that's the rub, like I said even with national carry, people would still need to understand that anyway, so I feel it's something people should implore that others do when they want to go to another state, or even if their own state lacks preemption on different towns.

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    As far as it being a "good idea" to carry in NYC...LOL....its a GREAT idea, unfortunately, the police and laws disagree. hahaha.
    Ah me and my wording again. :P

She definitely should have been more careful about the laws...but I feel really sorry for her to face jail time over it, especially when she willingly gave it up.
    I agree and I suspect you'll see a suspended sentence and plea. Ironically this is one of the few times being a NY lawyer has it's uses for this board.

Hindsight is 20/20....she should have immediately left and found a safe place to put it instead of asked to check it.
    Yeah, truthfully I would have advised her to leave NYC and travel to a TN Permit friendly state and mail it back home. Sounds extreme, but as we can see the cost is not worry it. I wouldn't even try mailing it out of NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    While you and I and many people will look up laws, many people do assume in honesty. I know people who thought their PA LTCF is valid in NJ!]
    Yikes! One thing I do every time I go to the range and back is always make sure my trunk is empty and all firearms/ammo have been removed. Though a week ago I found a spent case in my formal work coat(which I wear at the range sometimes lol) in an inside pocket...and it wasn't even my gun while going to the train station. I chucked it in the trash right away.

While I do think the saying "ignorance of the law is no excuse" usually holds its spirit to prevent people from making excuses, this case is an exception to that in book. Even if the jurors hate guns, I'd find it difficult to believe that they would forgo any conscience and convict her. If it were something else unrelated to gun, just as severe, and just as honestly ignorant, I know I wouldn't vote "guilty".

Al
    I honestly expect that she'll get a plea deal on this, I suspect, she'll lose her firearm, and mostly likely be given a suspended sentence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast