Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Keep .40 S&W....or just go with 9mm/.45acp

If you had the following:

P220, 1911 (x2)... in .45.

P228 (x2), Browning Hi Power, HK P7 (x3), P226 all in 9mm.

Were likely to get a Beretta 92 in the near future...

(Also a Glock 20 in 10mm).

Would you keep a SIG Sauer P229 and HK USP in .40....or would you get rid of them and get (say) a USP in .45 and maybe a 10mm 1911 (or some other .45 or 9mm pistol)?

Cliff's notes...3 Pistols in .45, 7 in 9mm, and 2 in .40. Worth keeping the .40 or swap them for more .45 or 9mms?

((The 10mm is a long time favorite...used to have a Delta Elite, couple Smiths, and a Glock...sold them to get through school, but did find a Glock to replace the missing one....so the 10mm, despite being the 'odd man' out, will be permanent in the collection, and I wouldn't mind getting a few others in 10mm))

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Keep .40 S&W....or just go with 9mm/.45acp

Same question I asked myself a while back and I ended up getting rid of my 40's, which at the time was only a Sig P229 & a Walther P99AS. Nothing against the 40's but 9mm & 45 suited my needs just fine. The only exception to those being my revolvers in 38/357 and 44 special/magnum.

It's your call, but when I sold my 2 40's I managed to find very nice replacements for them. Good luck with your decision...
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Keep .40 S&W....or just go with 9mm/.45acp

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
    Same question I asked myself a while back and I ended up getting rid of my 40's, which at the time was only a Sig P229 & a Walther P99AS. Nothing against the 40's but 9mm & 45 suited my needs just fine. The only exception to those being my revolvers in 38/357 and 44 special/magnum.

It's your call, but when I sold my 2 40's I managed to find very nice replacements for them. Good luck with your decision...
    I'm tempted to do just that. Got enough mags (6 or 8, I think) with each to get a good pistol to replace either/both. Have the revolvers, .22LRs in several flavors as practice pieces, etc. Just wondering if it's worth consolidating calibers just a bit...and the .40 isn't that much better than the 9mm, .45 or 10mm.

AFARR

you should ditch the 40's for sure.

just be sure to post them here when you do. i always need more 40 ammo and am also considering a new pistol in 40.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Another vote for ditch'em
    and to the dust you shall return

(Delaware County)

Keep them for the end times
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Monroe County)

What's the reason for wanting to consolidate your guns into fewer calibers? If you own these guns for target shooting purposes, then why bother selling them off and purchasing more, entirely different guns, in the same caliber? If you're looking to have guns for a SHTF or lengthy time where the rule of law is out the window with mass civil unrest, you're probably just better off having a bunch of the same gun, in the same caliber, with the same magazines and gear/accessories so you could equip your family/friends, etc.

ETA: If this is for SHTF, then having 5 different 45acp chambered guns doesn't really do much for you and your "group" when one guy is carrying a 1911, another a sig, another a glock, another a HK. Nobody can share ammo and it takes alot longer to train people to use each individual gun and its own manual of arms.. As opposed to having a bunch of Glock 17's and 19's(for example) where ammo and magazines can be shared, and the manual of arms is identical.
    Last edited by jcabin; December 29th, 2011 at 02:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

You can always get a barrel to convert Glolck 20 10mm to .40?

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the thoughts.

For 'unrest', I'd probably arm the family and eat the nearby neighbors...couple might be old and tough, but there's some really nicely fatted up ones...Oh, wait...that's a mirror not a window I'm looking at...(oops ).

The consolidation is more for convenience sake....when you go to the range, it's easier to grab a couple of pistols in the same calibers rather than sorting. No problem with the pistols themselves (P229/USP)...but could easily get a .45 USP and another 9mm (or 10mm, etc.) instead and not even think about it.

AFARR

(Chester County)

As my collection has slowly grown over the years I have asked the same questions.

I love the .45 and .22 for my bullseye shooting. I used to carry a combat commander in .45 but have recently gone to hi cap .40s for my carry guns. Unfortunately the commander was the first pistol I ever bought so it would be tough to get rid of for sentimental reasons.

I recently joined a club that offers action shoots and am thinking of adding a hi cap 9mm in the same model as my .40 compact (Ruger SR) as a more controllable and affordable competition gun.

The ones I might be culling are my .357 revolvers. I just don't find a use for them much anymore. I don't carry a six shooter any more, they are not target pistols and they are really just collecting dust. Anyone in the market for a Dan Wesson Mod 15 with 4 and 6" barrels?

It's funny, and fortunate, when our problems are those of too many rather then not enough.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast