Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Keep .40 S&W....or just go with 9mm/.45acp

Quote Originally Posted by AFARR View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts.

For 'unrest', I'd probably arm the family and eat the nearby neighbors...couple might be old and tough, but there's some really nicely fatted up ones...Oh, wait...that's a mirror not a window I'm looking at...(oops ).

The consolidation is more for convenience sake....when you go to the range, it's easier to grab a couple of pistols in the same calibers rather than sorting. No problem with the pistols themselves (P229/USP)...but could easily get a .45 USP and another 9mm (or 10mm, etc.) instead and not even think about it.

AFARR
    Sorting things shouldn't be an issue for an adult, just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

I have 5 guns that are 40 cal it is my 3rd largest amount of ammo in my safe minus my 22LR stash. From all my test it is a good pistol round almost on par with the 357 magnum performance wise as is the highest grade +P 9mm ammo, the 40 cal is a bigger round that I really like. 2nd only to my favorite round the 45acp I have 8 guns that shoot that round it is my 2nd highest ammo count. I only have 4 9mm pistols a 92fs, G19, SR9C and a Kel tec P11 my 9mm stash is the highest center fire ammo collection est 2800 rounds 1/3 is FMJ the rest is JHP.

I like having knowledge of all 3 rounds. I just wish I had more 357 magnum loaded up probably only 600 rounds.

(Chester County)

Personnally, I would consolidate down to 2 pistol cartridges. Its easier hauling everything to the range if you can get it down to 2 pistol & 2 rifle calibers (along with a 12ga of course)

Keep it simple is my thought
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

I try to do that consolidating thing, too. Then a 308 sneaks in, oh wait, here's a good deal on a 243. You know what, I had only 38s and now this one takes 357 too?

Then I smarten up and consolidate. Then decide I'm shooting a different division of uspsa and.....

I would get rid of 40, but only because I don't like it. (full disclosure, have a 40 cal 2011 on the way as a game gun)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by AFARR View Post

For 'unrest', I'd probably arm the family and eat the nearby neighbors...couple might be old and tough, but there's some really nicely fatted up ones...Oh, wait...that's a mirror not a window I'm looking at...(oops ).

AFARR
    LOL. Chuckle. That one made me smile.

I agree with caliber consolidation, otherwise, it just makes stockpiling ammo more cumbersome and painful.
    Last edited by GunWhatGun; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:15 AM.

(Bucks County)

My dad once told me to never sell a gun or tools.

I still have mt first house gun, 25 dollar raven that's all I could afford.

so obviously my opinion keep it, it's paid for
    Last edited by 51158; December 30th, 2011 at 04:24 PM.

(Franklin County)

IMO, and just MO, I personally do not want more than 3 guns in a caliber per platform.(IE 3 rifles in 9mm and 3 handguns in 9mm). Thats just my opinion but WAY too many calibers to sort though and play with. I just cant justify too many guns in the same caliber for that reason. If i have 3 pistols in 9mm why do i need a 4th??

Keep the 40s, thin the 9s is my vote if it matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

I tried the 3 Gun thing but each gun can serve different purpose for personal defense do I carry and stress 40 cal or 9mm or 45acp or 357magnum. For long range do I keep my 06 or 308 or 223. For mid range do I keep 5.56 or 7.69x39 for more power just out or inside of pistol range do I keep my Mossy 500 or CIthaca 12 gauge or deep conceal carry do I keep my SR9C or Kel tec. For pest control mid range plinking should I keep Mod 60 marlin 22LR or closer range hunting, plinkling or pest control use the Ruger 22 LR Mk III bull barrel or close range Tin can plinking Phoniex 22LR. Quite pest control RWS or Beeman pellet rifles. Inside the house speed drawing and multiple targets or hostge rescue or home clearing card board mansize targets with airsoft replicas of each handgun and some longguns. Bug out selected weapons and gear already laid out. I find this being prepared thing more then simple it is training and more training. I use to have my protection dogs for close range personal protection and edge who do you shot me or the dog either way could be the wrong choice. Shooting hobbies can be more then simple.

Wow long winded yarn. Simplicity is the key, go 9mm or 40 cal everything.

I have gone the other way- I reload 45 and 40 and just sold my last 9mm.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Northampton County)

Like a few others, over the course of the last year I sold off my .40's and now only 9mm and .45's remain in my auto collection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast