Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Gun Shop prohibits guns

I always ASK when I walk in to a signed store like that. Ace has never had me unload nor has East Coast. I OC main and CC BUG in them both. Have you asked them?

(Blair County)

i know one of these shops has told people to unload guns

(Blair County)

I am new to the area and only tried East Coast twice at their former location. They did have a similar sign on the door stating no loaded firearms permitted. I asked the workers and they told me this did not pertain to carriers, just guns for service and sales.

Personally I think the sign is a little misleading and can be a deterrent for some shoppers.

On a side note, I have had a good experience buying a gun at the old location but was blown off when inquiring about a Kimber Solo at the new location. In the future I will most likely spend my money at Grice's where I am treated with respect.

(Cambria County)

It would seem simple for gun shops to be clear to the customers if they "really" gave it some thought.

Here is Gander Mountain's SIMPLE and straight forward approach.

Love the sign!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Philadelphia County)

SPAG has a sign saying that all weapons must be unloaded upon entering. Their setup is such that when you go through the first door there are stairs that lead to a second door that lets you into the main room. They have to buzz the door to let you in.

It is incredibly awkward to be on those stairs, unholstering my gun, clearing it, while they are buzzing the door to let me in. On the way out, it is equally as uncomfortable to reload in that same tiny space.

Do not like.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughdaddy View Post
    Your best bet is to grab a holster you think will fit and have them try it on a display gun the same or similar to yours. That's what I do. Just use theirs then you know it's empty.
    I think that is the best advise. I just did this last week. I wanted to try a new laser grip with my holster. I brougt my holster in (unloaded, of course), and asked them to put that grip on their display gun (same as mine) so I could try it in my Crossbread.

I think that is the best way to avoid getting that "look" and probably the safest. It seemed, that they liked doing it that way too.

Yet gun shows do not allow carry (open or concealed) of loaded firearms , and y'all wait in line and PAY to be admitted (and disarmed)!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrg516601 View Post
    I've been a long time CCP holder in PA and generally carry whenever I legally can. While I have rarely encountered merchants in Blair County that prohibit legal concealed carry, I have avoided doing business with those that do.

I recently visited a new large long awaited gun/sporting good store in Altoona Pa and was taken aback by the sign on the door prohibiting all loaded firearms. I had patronized this merchant at their former location for several years where no such prohibition was posted.

Now I have heard lots of comments about idiots in gun shops etc. etc. However it would seem that if gun shops feel the need, for safety purposes , to ban concealed carry, this is an excellent argument for all other merchants to impose similar bands for te same reason. In fact I'm surprised that anti-gun groups haven't seized upon this as yet another reason to ban guns. If the stores that actually sell guns feel the need to ban them on the premises, why would anyone want to allow them. This seems to be a real disservice to protecting our Second Amendment rights, the very rights the merchant depends on for their livelihood.

I do realize there may be issues with some unsafe gun owners and and gun shops, but is an out and out ban of all loaded guns the right way to go? Other shops handle this issue in different ways that do not ban law abiding itizen from exercising second amendment rights.

I am very torn over whether to continue to patronize this gun shop as long as they continue to ban their patrons from cc. I'd appreciate hearing from others on this issue.
    You can't take a "loaded firearm" into a fun show. I personally don't see a problem.
    I AM A PROFESSIONAL. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Yet gun shows do not allow carry (open or concealed) of loaded firearms , and y'all wait in line and PAY to be admitted (and disarmed)!
    I don't mind this. My mag is in my pocket and can be loaded in seconds (still faster than a LEO responds) and here are just a few of the reasons why they require it:

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/2-men...116986263.html

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28125182/detail.html

http://www.4029tv.com/r/26663243/detail.html

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/110229542/

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...n-at-gun-show/

These are just from this year. Not everyone that carries to a gun show is a responsible gun owner and I personally don't want that idiot that isn't, trying a holster with his loaded sidearm next to me and my kid.
    Last edited by Doughdaddy; December 23rd, 2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling

middlebury ctr, tioga co.,pa., Pennsylvania
    (Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrg516601 View Post
    I've been a long time CCP holder in PA and generally carry whenever I legally can. While I have rarely encountered merchants in Blair County that prohibit legal concealed carry, I have avoided doing business with those that do.

I recently visited a new large long awaited gun/sporting good store in Altoona Pa and was taken aback by the sign on the door prohibiting all loaded firearms. I had patronized this merchant at their former location for several years where no such prohibition was posted.

Now I have heard lots of comments about idiots in gun shops etc. etc. However it would seem that if gun shops feel the need, for safety purposes , to ban concealed carry, this is an excellent argument for all other merchants to impose similar bands for te same reason. In fact I'm surprised that anti-gun groups haven't seized upon this as yet another reason to ban guns. If the stores that actually sell guns feel the need to ban them on the premises, why would anyone want to allow them. This seems to be a real disservice to protecting our Second Amendment rights, the very rights the merchant depends on for their livelihood.

I do realize there may be issues with some unsafe gun owners and and gun shops, but is an out and out ban of all loaded guns the right way to go? Other shops handle this issue in different ways that do not ban law abiding itizen from exercising second amendment rights.

I am very torn over whether to continue to patronize this gun shop as long as they continue to ban their patrons from cc. I'd appreciate hearing from others on this issue.
    Where is the gun shop in Altoona? I'm there with my business travels and look at gun shops wherever i am. I didn't know about one in Altoona.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast