Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Gun Shop prohibits guns

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Anyway I like the way Clayton's handles it, they just have a big sign on the door that says all guns must remain holstered or cased while in the store.
    I believe they put this sign after they opened their range. I find it reasonable and have no problem with it.

I did "try" used holsters there few times. I approached the nearest employee, said I want to try it with my carry piece and ask where I can unload the gun if it's ok with him. It was ok all the times. I ejected the mag, opened slide while pointing the gun into the safe direction (suggested by employee), inspected the chamber, showed it to the employee for his piece of mind (and double-check for me) and then went to try holsters. Everybody were happy.
    Je suis déplorable

(Mercer County)

I would never shop anywhere that outrigtly banned carry. Gunshops are no exception. That said, I've witnessed some really stupid behavior in gun-saturated environments. For example, at this year's NRA convention, while browsing CZ's offerings I saw a fellow draw his carry gun and compare it to one of the guns on display. I gave him my "you are the idiot of the year" look while walking past him. He turned red and re-holstered.

I have no problem with a shop posting a sign stating that all firearms must remain holstered.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I guess someone forgot to tell all these gunshops "This is my safety" as they wiggled their finger in the shop owners face.

I like the "must stay holstered" rule.

If i need a firearm worked on, or want to sell or trade one, the gun i'm selling/trading/having work done to is always empty, action locked open.
    Always.
    I've honestly never thought of other ways to accomplish this particular task. If the gun has no reason to be loaded, why would I?

I've seen the look on gunshop employees when someone brings in a gun, pulls it out and begins to express their reason for being there, and THEN unloads it or opens the action. I don't want that look pointed at me.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Chester County)

Village Arms attempted this no gun rule... follow the thread here.

http://forum.pafoa.org/1731675-post-27.html

Post 27 where I post up their reasoning.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I guess someone forgot to tell all these gunshops "This is my safety" as they wiggled their finger in the shop owners face.

I like the "must stay holstered" rule.

If i need a firearm worked on, or want to sell or trade one, the gun i'm selling/trading/having work done to is always empty, action locked open.

Always.
    Same here, but there are plenty of retarded gun owners in the world still today that haven't had their "accident" yet.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Yet.

So very true.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a sign in my shop that requests carry guns to remain holstered.

Most shop owners/employees carry in GSs and many OC (I do and so do my wife and daughter when working the shop).

(Indiana County)

The large gun stores like East Coast Gun Sales, Grice, Bob's Arm & Navy, Johnson's Gun Depot and Ace Sporting Goods all have signs these days. I think it has to do with an increasing number of people who didn't ever have safe, traditional gun handling practices pounded into their heads by their elders.

I doubt any of the stores would metal detector you or pat you down to find your legal CCW, however they all frown on open carry (except for employees) and closed actions on any gun visible entering the premises. I've witnessed people at two of the stores I mentioned bring shotguns in with the action closed. Both were instantly noticed by an employee who then asked to see the weapon, performed a clearance check and then politely admonished the owner to always have the action open when entering any gunshop.

As for businesses that post signage completely prohibiting firearms and all other weapons. I will not frequent those places.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Lehigh County)

I never understood why there were no clearing barrels at gun shops. Keep your carry piece holstered, and if you need to try out a new holster or accessory, notify an employee who walks you to a clearing barrel to unload.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    I never understood why there were no clearing barrels at gun shops. Keep your carry piece holstered, and if you need to try out a new holster or accessory, notify an employee who walks you to a clearing barrel to unload.
    Your best bet is to grab a holster you think will fit and have them try it on a display gun the same or similar to yours. That's what I do. Just use theirs then you know it's empty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast