Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default JOHN GARAND/BATTLE OF THE BULGE SHOOT, 200 YD

I forget the exact cost. But it was a fun time last year, even with 2 rifles that failed to work.. What I get for trusting friends.

If i remember correctly, it was something like 50 rounds for the shoot, 10 rounds for sighting in?? (slow fire, rapid fire, standing, prone, seated)

Check out their website for the location/directions http://tulrpc.com/locations.aspx It is at their Pine Grove Range.. Pine Grove, Pa.

Dress warm, bring a shooting mat and binoculars or spotting scope. Gun and ammo also help

I saw some people bring a small tarp to catch brass.

It is a fun time so if you are in the area, clean up your WWII rifle and bring it out.

If you would like to shoot, but don't have a rifle.. Email them using the contact page.. I remember someone bringing extra rifles to loan out.. Just pay for the ammo.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: JOHN GARAND/BATTLE OF THE BULGE SHOOT, 200 YD

I've shot in this "fun shoot" three times now, once with a Garand, and twice with a Mosin-Nagant 91/30. I'll be there again this year. It is 55 rounds: 5 sighters, 20 prone slow fire, 10 prone rapid fire, 10 sitting rapid fire, and 10 standing slow fire. Also, if you want to shoot, be prepared to work in the pit, rain or shine.
    See you there Pkspawn, and bring a rifle that works this time
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

You beat me to it, the cost of the shoot is $10.00.
    If you need a club rifle, let us know.
    Ammo cost went up this year, as we had to restock from CMP.
    It SHOULD be in the BALLPARK of $0.50/rd.
    There should be hot coffee, I can't promise food though.
    Jan. 22, 2012, 1:00 P.M. sign in at 12:00.

ANY WWII Rifle is welcome, Lets see an Arisaka??
    Or an Carcano, maybe a Finn Mosin.
    Course of fire as Rock-it 3 said is the short J.C. Garand match format.
    Don't forget a chamber flag, or we have them for about $2.00.

See you on the line,

Pete A.
    TRPC Membership Sec/Board of Dir.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Philadelphia County)

what does he mean work the pit? im interested (anything that lets me shoot the m1, ya know?) but just curious

seems like a good time, and i relish at the chance to shoot past 100 yards, but could you give me more details about the course of fire? does the name battle of the bulge have any actual meaning aside from a fun m-1/ww2 reference?

sorry i dont want to sound like an ass, i just want to know before i drive 2 hours from philly

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd View Post
    what does he mean work the pit? im interested (anything that lets me shoot the m1, ya know?) but just curious

seems like a good time, and i relish at the chance to shoot past 100 yards, but could you give me more details about the course of fire? does the name battle of the bulge have any actual meaning aside from a fun m-1/ww2 reference?

sorry i dont want to sound like an ass, i just want to know before i drive 2 hours from philly
    "Working the Pits"= pulling targets.
    TRPC has a 200yd range with "PITS", you are in a "trench" for lack of a better word, down range, just below the targets. you score the shots from there. The bullets are flying about 4 feet over your head.
    For the slow fire stages, you watch your target, when a hole appears, you pull the target down, (they slide down) and put a marking disc in the hole, then slide the target back up. This allows the shooter to see where he hit. when the next round hits, you paste the old hole, and move the disc to the new hole.

"Battle of the Bulge" is a reference to the 1944/45 Ardennes offensive. It took place in December, through January, during the coldest winter in 50 years.
    It's generally VERY COLD for this shoot, hence the name.
    Last edited by GUNGUY45; January 7th, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd View Post

Course of fire;

J.C. Garand Match, Course B;

Stage 1, Prone, slowfire.
    5 Sighter rounds, 20 rounds for record, single load, 1 minute per round.(5 min + 20 min=25 min) might be shot as 5 min, then 20 min or all 25 at once, at range master's discression.

Stage 2, Prone from standing,Rapid fire. (Start out standing, targets come up, you drop to prone, and fire, time starts when targets appear.)
    10 rounds, 70 sec.

Stage 3, Sitting from standing, Rapid fire. (Start out standing, targets come up, you drop to sitting, and fire, time starts when targets appear.)
    10 rounds, 60 sec.

Stage 4, Offhand Slow fire.
    10 rounds, 10 minutes.

Rapid fire requires a reload, in a Garand load 2, then 8, in a bolt gun, or detachable mag gun, load 5, then 5.(you'll need 2 mags)

55rd. match.
    Last edited by GUNGUY45; January 23rd, 2012 at 07:25 AM.

(Bucks County)

i just saw this, are there any more garand shoots there this year? i looked at the schedule and only saw nra highpowered shoots

(Montgomery County)

U missed a fun shoot today and it wasn't that cold. Fun day, everything seemed to go quickly and smoothly.

This is the only Battle the bulge Shoot they do. Just 1 a year.. But as it looks like you saw on the calendar, they have the NRA High power shoots.. It is the same course of fire, except it is in reverse of how we shot it today.. You can shoot your WWII rifle in the NRA shoots.. I am sure they get a mix of modern and older rifles at those shoots (I have not been to one there yet, but we were talking about it today)

Someone shot an AR15 today.. so I technically did not come in last place 1 bullseye ain't bad for first time shooting a rifle iron sights at 200 yards.. And first time on the garand after a 5 min quick intro/lesson, LoL .
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Dauphin County)

Yeah, we had a good time today. 11 shooters, most with Garands, 1 with a m1 Carbine, me with a Mosin-Nagant 91/30, and 1 who didn't realize it was a WWII shoot, and brought an AR. They let him shoot anyway, it's a fun match. Like Pkspawn said, it wasn't too cold. I was worried when I saw the temp at under 10 degrees at 8 am, but it was in the mid-20's by 1:00, and very little wind.

Some pretty good shooters today, I believe high score was a 458/500. I turned in a 439/500, which was better than last year, so I am happy, my score has improved each year.

See ya next year Pkspawn.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

unfortunately, i was adding another mouth to my garand collection, a 1,330,000 winchester with original barrel

i looked for rules on the nra highpowered, but didnt see anything, what is allowed?

what targets are used?
    Last edited by pacomdiver; January 24th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast