Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Under the Influence.

I don't take much info from other places but here. So I'll shoot my beginner question here (no pun intended).

I just got my LTCF. If I Conceal carry it into a bar, does this mean I can't drink ANYTHING, or I just can't be "legally" drunk (.08)??

I just dont want "I'm braking the law" in the back of my head if I have one beer.

if it is illegal that is, I obviously won't think twice on bringing it.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Under the Influence.

It's not illegal to carry in a bar unless the establishment has signs or policies against it, or they ask you to leave because of it, although even then, usually just leaving is enough. That's in Pennsylvania though.

As for your other question, there's no set guidelines about the amount of alcohol consumed at the time of carrying, although many members here have a 1 or 2 beer limit. That being said, it's a good idea not to go overboard or if you plan on drinking a lot, even if you're not driving, may want to leave your sidearm at home because if you were charged with something like public drunkenness or something of the sort, you could have your LTCF revoked. It is of course unlikely, but possible. So better safe than sorry.

(Northampton County)

There is no law against drinking while carrying in PA.

But think real hard about this. Don't go anywhere that has a reputation for trouble. And, if you tend to get beer muscles, stay home.

I'm less worried about you actually doing something stupid with your gun but far more worried about all the stupid things that happen in bars and around drunk people. While you have a gun.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

I'm less worried about you actually doing something stupid with your gun but far more worried about all the stupid things that happen in bars and around drunk people. While you have a gun.
    This. X 100.

There are so many variables, so many things that can go wrong, at those crazy bars with bad reputations, where you have to push thru the crowd to get to the bar and there's vomit all over the bathroom.

For example, if you go to an Applebees and have a few beers and dinner, the chances of something going wrong, while still there, are much lower than those dimly lit, dingy bars. I used to frequent bars like this, until closing time, around the LHV and about half the time there was either a fight, or trouble in some form. This was many years before I began to carry.

Of course your best bet to CYA (cover your ass) is not to drink while carrying or not to be carrying while drinking, especially in public places.
    Last edited by Storm88000; December 13th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

I was at a local dive bar with quite a few people inside about 2 years ago while CCing with a t-shirt on. Needless to say with a full sized pistol the owner/bartender saw my firearm. She asked "are you a cop" I replied no mam Im not. She then began to tell me in PA only the police are allowed to have a gun in a bar. I told her she was wrong, anybody can carry in a bar as long as there are no signs stating otherwise which you dont. She then told me I was wrong (swallowed my pride instead of arguing) and I either had to leave or take my pistol back to my vehicle. I took the pistol back and locked it in my car but I did take the magazine and +1 out and stick them in my pocket and returned inside with my wife and family.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Here's something to think about. Legally, you're normally innocent until proven guilty. But if you shoot someone, you're guilty of murder until you prove self-defense.

DA examining you on the witness stand: "How many drinks did you have before shooting the victim?"

You: "I only had two beers."

or

You: "None; I don't ever drink when I'm carrying my gun."

How much would answer #1 hurt you in court?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

DA examining you on the witness stand: "How many drinks did you have before shooting the victim?"

or

Yep, and this is possibly at the core of the 30 page "PA state troopers disarmed me" thread - the OP stated he had a beer or two, and the troopers knew it.

(Chester County)

you can legally get shitfaced if you want, but its probably the stupidest decision you could ever make.

Ive carried in bars, ive drank while carrying, but i know my limit very well and i dont push it with a gun on me.

i just assume the risk of being defenseless is part of the risk of drinking/drugs, then decide if its worth it.

*there are a million threads on this topic. please search

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Here's something to think about. Legally, you're normally innocent until proven guilty. But if you shoot someone, you're guilty of murder until you prove self-defense.

or

My answer would be. " I did not shoot myself. I shot the criminal."
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Butler County)

You guys can say what you want but I regularly drink at my local bar with my fire arm on my hip. I find it keeps me out of fights when I'm drinking because I'm not getting into a fight while drinking with a gun on me. It keeps me cool and calm. I wouldnt go to a dive bar with it though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast