Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Under the Influence.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    But think real hard about this. Don't go anywhere that has a reputation for trouble. And, if you tend to get beer muscles, stay home.
    If you have friends that get beer muscles and know that you carry you should probably stay at home as well. You don't need a "friend" getting drunk, picking a fight and then looking for you to bail them out with your firearm.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you have friends that get beer muscles and know that you carry you should probably stay at home as well. You don't need a "friend" getting drunk, picking a fight and then looking for you to bail them out with your firearm.
    Very good point. I've had to deal with this very issue. Fortunately, I nipped it in the bud.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by zeroflat24 View Post
    You guys can say what you want but I regularly drink at my local bar with my fire arm on my hip. I find it keeps me out of fights when I'm drinking because I'm not getting into a fight while drinking with a gun on me. It keeps me cool and calm. I wouldnt go to a dive bar with it though.
    Not that it makes a difference a bar is a bar but... I would rather carry to a "dive bar" (less people) than say a "city/popular bar" with tons of people bouncing around and bumping into me. Just seems like less people means less of a chance for something to happen in general.

(Northampton County)

I got blacked out drunk at a strip club on my birthday last month while I was carrying (I remember the entire evening except the car ride home is spotty).

I think it honestly depends on how you are when you are drunk. If you're the violent hostile type, it's probably best to leave it at home. If you're like me and you want to hug everyone, then I don't see the problem.
    Free "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    I got blacked out drunk at a strip club on my birthday last month while I was carrying (I remember the entire evening except the car ride home is spotty).

I think it honestly depends on how you are when you are drunk. If you're the violent hostile type, it's probably best to leave it at home. If you're like me and you want to hug everyone, then I don't see the problem.
    Did you wake up shirtless with faint memories of wrestling with another guy?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post

I think you're playing with fire, dude. I never want to lose control of a situation, especially if I'm carrying. If I were to pass out or lose memory of what was going on, how would I be able to make sure that my firearm was safely secured in my holster? Someone could try to disarm you and do God knows what with your weapon (hint, none of them are good).

Like some other folks have said here, if your weapon is discharged for any reason, even for legitimate self-defense, it's not going to look good in court if you've been drinking.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Here's something to think about. Legally, you're normally innocent until proven guilty. But if you shoot someone, you're guilty of murder until you prove self-defense.

DA examining you on the witness stand: "How many drinks did you have before shooting the victim?"

You: "I only had two beers."

or

You: "None; I don't ever drink when I'm carrying my gun."

How much would answer #1 hurt you in court?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKlinger View Post
    Like some other folks have said here, if your weapon is discharged for any reason, even for legitimate self-defense, it's not going to look good in court if you've been drinking.
    I've repeated this over and over again each time this topic comes up. A bad shoot is a bad shoot, a good shoot is a good shoot, there have been plenty of bad shoots committed by legal carriers who are completely sober. As a matter of fact, as far as people who carry legally, anecdotally speaking from news stories, I am not able to recall any case where a carrier with a license who drank and that lead to bad shoot. The case of Gerald Ung, in Philly of all places, came to mind specifically regarding the myth of "how many drinks you had" vs. jury perception of guilt. Ung was found not guilty because he acted in self-defense, even after a night of heavy drinking.

In PA, there aren't any legal prohibition on drinking and carrying. That aside, as others have stated, know your behavior and limits when you carry and decide to drink. If you know that you are incapable of handling yourself, in past incidents/events after drinking (and the quantity), then act accordingly and assume all risks associated with that. Just because you had a few drinks it doesn't mean that your life worth any less.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Everybody here is concentrating on the ramifications of possible criminal charges for a firearm owner who discharges his firearm after drinking. I agree that this is very important because we are talking upon conviction of depriving one of their freedom.

Another aspect that needs consideration, however, is the possibility of a civil suit. Remember that the standard of proof in a civil suit is no where near as difficult as that of a criminal case. While someone may not be charged/convicted of criminal charges; it does not bar the possibility of being sued and financially ruined.

A good attorney could make someone who consumed two beer look like they were blind drunk.

I would prefer not to drink and carry so as to not subject my family to financial ruin.

(Chester County)

drink all you want while you carry your gun.

Anyone over 30 that still gets "beer muscles" should have to go to obedience school!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast