Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default A quick thought on CCing in your car...

Earlier this year, I was in a car accident. Luckily, I was not at fault, but not so luckily my car was totalled.

I used to keep my Beretta 92FS under my bench seat (94 GMC Sonoma truck) while I was driving so it was out of the way although on occasion for shorter trips, I'd just leave it in my IWB holster.

For anybody who has never been in a car accident, the rest of us can tell you, when you get hit, the seatbelt locks up tight and you end up with bruises all around your hips.

Luckily, I had placed my gun under the seat that day and decided not to carry it while driving in my pants. I suspect the force of the gun being jammed into my hip wouldn't have felt too good and could possibly have done some damage.

My foot took a solid hit in the accident on the pedals as did the gun when it flew out from under the seat. You can imagine my surprise when the gun was no longer in safe and half cocked. I'm not suggesting that the Beretta would have gone off (it is a very safe gun), but that is just to demonstrate the sort of force that you might encounter in a serious accident.

So before you decide to carry while driving, consider the unexpected and find a safe place within the car for your gun.

My gun now resides in the center console in my new car while driving. It is easily accessible, safe, and won't go flying if somebody hits me.

-Zach

(Monroe County)

Default Re: A quick thought on CCing in your car...

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Earlier this year, I was in a car accident. Luckily, I was not at fault, but not so luckily my car was totalled.

I used to keep my Beretta 92FS under my bench seat (94 GMC Sonoma truck) while I was driving so it was out of the way although on occasion for shorter trips, I'd just leave it in my IWB holster.

For anybody who has never been in a car accident, the rest of us can tell you, when you get hit, the seatbelt locks up tight and you end up with bruises all around your hips.

Luckily, I had placed my gun under the seat that day and decided not to carry it while driving in my pants. I suspect the force of the gun being jammed into my hip wouldn't have felt too good and could possibly have done some damage.

My foot took a solid hit in the accident on the pedals as did the gun when it flew out from under the seat. You can imagine my surprise when the gun was no longer in safe and half cocked. I'm not suggesting that the Beretta would have gone off (it is a very safe gun), but that is just to demonstrate the sort of force that you might encounter in a serious accident.

So before you decide to carry while driving, consider the unexpected and find a safe place within the car for your gun.

My gun now resides in the center console in my new car while driving. It is easily accessible, safe, and won't go flying if somebody hits me.

-Zach
    I wear my gun IWB at about the 1:00 position. When I drive, the lap belt goes behind the holster between the back of the holster and my skin/pants. Not only does this solve the tight seat belt issue but it also provides for quick access should I need my gun while seated in my vehicle and retained by a safety belt.

(Cumberland County)

I carry at 4:30. Seatbelt doesn't touch my firearm at all. My only concern is access to my firearm while belted in isn't very fast.

(Berks County)

Thumbs up Re: A quick thought on CCing in your car...

That is something I never thought of! Thanks for the insight!
    "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" -Genesis 27:3

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Luckily, I had placed my gun under the seat that day...
    So it was not in a holster, just laying on the floor? I have a retention holster riveted to the underside of my seat with the grip just barely visible at the front right corner. Easy to grab just by reaching down. I tried the center console location, was too awkward to get the gun out with my off hand and if a passanger is using the console for an arm rest, forget it.

(Bucks County)

So I suppose this isn't safe?

(Bucks County)

Gun was in my IWB holster under the seat. Admittedly not the best place for it, but better there than jammed into a glove box full of the work history of a 16 year old vehicle or sitting out in the open on the bench seat...or as I suggested, crushing into my hip when the seat belt dug into me.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by bmcdaniel View Post
    So it was not in a holster, just laying on the floor? I have a retention holster riveted to the underside of my seat with the grip just barely visible at the front right corner. Easy to grab just by reaching down. I tried the center console location, was too awkward to get the gun out with my off hand and if a passanger is using the console for an arm rest, forget it.

i carry at 9pm(left handed) if i have a pistol that is not on me its usually in my book bag or in the pocket of my door

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    or in the pocket of my door
    Around here the bad guys like to open your car door and jack your car while you're sitting at a red light. If they open the door there goes your gun.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcdaniel View Post
    Around here the bad guys like to open your car door and jack your car while you're sitting at a red light. If they open the door there goes your gun.
    That's why you should always keep your doors locked and be aware of people approaching your car so that you're not surprised by such things.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast