Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Smile Favorite gun shops

Berks County > Order new guns from Charlie Fosnocht, Gunsmith , 155 Red Corner Road, Douglassville, Pa. Phone 610-310-7526 Gordon's Sports Supply http://www.gordonssportssupply.com/ Gordon's Chester County website lists used firearms and is kept current with updates.
    Last edited by 243winxb; December 11th, 2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add gun smith

(Berks County)

Default Re: Favorite gun shop in Berks co.?

I only have one gun shop I use to buy guns, its a little private shop in bethel called blue mountian gun works. nice guy, its a really little shop he dont have much there but will get you anything in about a weeks time. as far as ammo I normally buy that off the internet with my C&R FFL grafs has great deals, I reload so I buy most of my componets off the net. my powder and primers I buy from shydas in lebanon.

(Berks County)

The owner of Stoney Creek has closed up shop. So sadly I don't have a favorite gun shop now. The owner was a stand up kind of guy. I hope somebody buys his business and keeps it going!

(Berks County)

I was wondering what happened at Stony Creek. I'm sorry to see that happen.

I was just about to rejoin the indoor range. It's too bad, now that winter's here. I belonged to the range when Fisher had it and re-upped my range membership, only to see it closed the next month.

That said, The Handgunner in Topton is a great place. Every once in a while I can pick up an unusual gun there. Gun Traders on Rte. 61 in Muhlenberg Township is a good place, too.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by saturnx View Post
    The owner of Stoney Creek has closed up shop. So sadly I don't have a favorite gun shop now. The owner was a stand up kind of guy. I hope somebody buys his business and keeps it going!
    I was afraid that was going to happen. I liked that store. I think the issues with the store that was there before hamstringed him pretty bad.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    I was afraid that was going to happen. I liked that store. I think the issues with the store that was there before hamstringed him pretty bad.
    It's been an uphill battle from day one, given the previous history there. NOBODY has ANY idea what I've had to deal with on that corner since opening.
    I've dealt with enough scumbags and criminals to last me a lifetime. I've simply "Had enough"
    The shop is closing strictly because of this reason. The shop made money and supported itself, even in this crappy economy, the previous history and with a huge overhead...
    My ultimate decision came down to my lack of tolerance for the degenerates and scumbags that so often frequented the store. Many of my regular customers never got to see the ugly side of the business... but trust me, it's there and in abundance at the edge of the city.
    Also note...
    No shop is immune from criticism.
    The majority of the criticism I receive, comes from people who get tossed from the store or from people who have never been in the store or met me.
    In the online criticism of my shop, they always conveniently omit the minor details... like the fact they came in with a straw-buyer... or had MS13 gang tat's all over them... or told me they were a convicted felon... have PFA's... were drunk... smelled like weed... etc...
    You cannot begin to imagine the kind of folks that walk into a gun shop.
    Back in October I had a very nice, pleasant elderly man come in to buy a gun. He was a textbook customer and even reminded me of my Dad a little. I spent 45 minutes with the guy going over different guns, features, etc...
    He bought a S&W J-frame and a box of ammo... He asked about using the range to test fire it. Since (as some here would say) I am such a prick... I told him he'd need to join the range first. He declined the membership offer and went home instead.
    Later that afternoon he put the gun in his mouth and killed himself with it.

Obviously I was pretty upset about it... as I felt like I should have been able to pick up on his intentions. I played the transaction over and over again in my head, looking for something I may have missed... and there was NOTHING. He was as normal and textbook as any other regular walk-in customer. There was nothing I could have done to prevent it... yet after hearing about it, I actually offered to buy the gun back from the family at full price.
    Two weeks later I got the gun back from the PD, in an evidence bag, complete with blood and goo all over it. I had to clean that gun myself.
    If you missed the part about him asking to use the range... I will spell it out for you. He WOULD have killed himself right there in my range, right in front of me, on camera. I would have had to live with that the rest of my life. THANK GOD I didn't let him in the range.
    If he had done that in the range, I would have locked the doors for good, right then and there.

When I got my FFL... I never imagined any of this kind of crap could happen.

It's unfortunate for the good folks that I've had the pleasure of meeting and dealing with since I opened. Unfortunately, there are not enough of them around.
    Just a few weeks ago... (I kid you not) I had to toss 7 people out of the shop in just one day. By 4:30... I had enough stress and adrenaline... so I locked the door and went home. The week before that, it was one person each day of the week.
    Last week... I had a jackass walk up to the counter with a loaded and unholstered Desert Eagle .50 while I had a showroom full of customers.
    I was nice to the guy and actually asked him nicely NOT to handle an unholstered gun in the store and especially not if it's loaded. Even then... I didn't toss him out for being so rude or stupid. I only asked him to leave after he had the nerve to get mouthy with me about it.
    That's not the only loaded, unholstered gun I've had pointed at me by a dummy. There have been plenty others.

I have a wife and kids at home.
    I will not take a bullet for that shop.
    I am done with it.

I will be starting a new fulltime job on Monday morning.
    I will be at the shop this week a few hours each day getting stuff packed and consignment guns back to the owners. All the inventory guns have been sold to another dealer. After this week the doors will remain locked.
    Last edited by Dragracer_Art; December 13th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    +1 for the Handgunner in Topton. Helpful staff, easy transfers, my favorite shop.
    Absolutely. Worth the drive. Second choice is Gun Traders. Both places are run by good guys.
    Johnnie F.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
    You cannot begin to imagine the kind of folks that walk into a gun shop.

Last week... I had a jackass walk up to the counter with a loaded and unholstered Desert Eagle .50 while I had a showroom full of customers.
    I

Oh trust me, I've sold Guns for almost 4 years.. I know exactly the type, and doing range safety work, and having to clear firearms before they enter, having a loaded gun pointed in my face was a daily occurrence. Most of mine were hot headed older men that wanted to "clear the gun themselves" ... Of course, during that time, its pointed at me with their finger on the trigger and they wonder why I said IIIII would do it? yeah.. I dont blame you.

Anywho.. back to topic. lol
    "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" -Genesis 27:3

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunGirl610 View Post
    Oh trust me, I've sold Guns for almost 4 years.. I know exactly the type, and doing range safety work, and having to clear firearms before they enter, having a loaded gun pointed in my face was a daily occurrence. Most of mine were hot headed older men that wanted to "clear the gun themselves" ... Of course, during that time, its pointed at me with their finger on the trigger and they wonder why I said IIIII would do it? yeah.. I dont blame you.

Anywho.. back to topic. lol
    There are alot of good shops in the area.

Gun Traders
    Handgunner
    Kerper's
    Seneca Arms

Just to name a few.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
    I've dealt with enough scumbags and criminals to last me a lifetime. I've simply "Had enough"
    The shop is closing strictly because of this reason. The shop made money and supported itself, even in this crappy economy, the previous history and with a huge overhead...

My ultimate decision came down to my lack of tolerance for the degenerates and scumbags that so often frequented the store. Many of my regular customers never got to see the ugly side of the business... but trust me, it's there and in abundance at the edge of the city.

Back in October I had a very nice, pleasant elderly man come in to buy a gun. Later that afternoon he put the gun in his mouth and killed himself with it.

I am done with it.

I will be starting a new fulltime job on Monday morning.
    Glad to hear the shop supported itself. Last night I kept thinking . . .I should have supported the store more. Sometimes I think that the edge of the city is growing more and more into your area. That whole area seems to be going downhill.

I hope you know that that guy killing himself is not your fault. It was his decision to do it and you aren't and weren't responsible for keeping him alive.

Enjoy your new freedom and good luck on your new job.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast